300 Win Reloading???

Broz,

My lymann and nosler manual both list 70.5 grains of H4831 as max. The first sign of pressure I had was primer pockets getting a little loose at 75.5 grains after about 3 reloads so I backed off to 75 and have not had any issues at all. bolt lift is good no head expansion not shiny spots on the case head my velocity looks good too. im at 2940 fps. I do have my bullet seated way out so my powder capacity is a little more than average. it just barely fits in my magazine. But it is shooting good I am still tinkining with it but I feel like my 75 grains is safe. I am very cautious of pressure cause its not worth the risk to me.

Mike Thanks so much for your reply. Is this a custom rifle? If so what reamer was used standard or match?

Sorry for all the questions, I had a friend run a "quick load" on my 300 win with a 28" custom barrel and a match reamer and the pressure was off the chart at 76 grains H-4831.

Maybe we missed something ??

Can anyone give us quick load pressure on this?lightbulb

Thanks Mike and anyone that can help here.
Jeff

Broz,

I cant help you with a load pressure any more than what the book says you should get which is 62,000 that should be pretty close to what I have. The rifle is nothing special...well it is to me its a Remington 700 CDL Boone and Crockett edition (with a Leupold vx-III boone and crocket) but the rifle is just factory spec. Sorry I cant help more

Mike,

Last year I loaded 200gr NAB, CCI 250, 71.5gr H4831SC using once fired Federal brass with COAL of 3.62" (base to tip, not ogive) for my SAKOM995 with 23 1/2" 1:11 and was getting this ...

P9250354.jpg

at 100 yards (don't have any chrony so I don't know what kind of velocity I am getting). Like you, I almost maxed out the clearance on my mag without any feeding problem. No obvious signs of pressure. Since last year was my first year reloading, I was happy with it but will resume further load development soon.

Thanks for sharing.

Ed

hey go with the good old load of H1000 at 76gn with a 208 Amax or a 210 berger.these thing fly really great bucking the wind.and out to 300 I get about 1.5 inch groups with 6 times on the brass.but really think my groups will tighten up when i go to new brass.the primer pockets are getting a little to loss showing it at paper.meaning about half of the 10 shoot at 300 the last time at the range shoot 1 inch or less and the rest with bad primer pockets gave me the 1.5 inch over all group.

but I think you will find H1000 seems to be a really good do to powder for the 300wm for most rifels and shooters.but hey I am only giveing you an opinion.

Mike Thanks so much for your reply. Is this a custom rifle? If so what reamer was used standard or match?

Sorry for all the questions, I had a friend run a "quick load" on my 300 win with a 28" custom barrel and a match reamer and the pressure was off the chart at 76 grains H-4831.

Maybe we missed something ??

Can anyone give us quick load pressure on this?lightbulb

Thanks Mike and anyone that can help here.
Jeff

Can anyone run a quick load on this and give us a pressure?

Thanks for any replies.

Jeff

Broz,
What bullets and oal's would you like the pressures for?

RockZ, it was mikes load of 75.5 gr of H-4831 and a 200 AB .003" off the lands. So the aol would be close to 3.354" with a match reamer and a O give of 2.856. As near as I can tell.

I was thinking this load is close to 70,000 psi chamber pressure.

Thanks for any help!

Jeff

Need Oal to tip of bullet.
What bullets would you like me to run it for?

Last edited:
OAL to the tip of my bullets are 3.628 (Just barely fits my magazine) That is a 200 grain accubond traveling 2940 if I remember correctly. I would have to check my notes to be sure. Is that all you guys need?

I wanted to add that I think this seems like a pretty hot load and i have no signs of excessive pressure. I wanted to test that though so I have been loading the same 5 pieces of brass over and over to see if my primer pockets are stretching at all over time with a few reloads and I just put primers in them for the 5th time and they are just as tight as they were new.

Tikka,
Your numbers look very good.
I use a weighing factor of .45 for my 300 win and it works out well.

For your numbers:
200 accubond 75gr [email protected]"
I got 56.5K psi and 2900fps with a 26" barrel and 2948 with a 28" barrel.

The long oal is what keeps the pressure from getting too high.

Tikka,
Your numbers look very good.
I use a weighing factor of .45 for my 300 win and it works out well.

For your numbers:
200 accubond 75gr [email protected]"
I got 56.5K psi and 2900fps with a 26" barrel and 2948 with a 28" barrel.

The long oal is what keeps the pressure from getting too high.

Guys, I find this very interesting. I am truely trying to lean something here and I thank all of you for the input. I really need to get the Quick Load program.

RockZ, Would you mind changing the load a bit for me please? Could I get a chamber pressure with these changes.

210 Berger with a total bullet length of 1.500"
76 gr of H-4831sc
OAL 3.537" This should be on the lands of a match 300 wm reamer.

Thank You!
Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.