300 Win Mag reloading advise.

Which long heavy bullets are you referring to?
I have shot 230g Berger's out of many 30 cal cartridges with 10" twist with not a single stability problem…so where are you getting this info that defies real world results?
I was shooting comps from sea level to 3,000+ft without a single hic-cup.
Even a short 26" barrel had zero issues at any altitude.
Standard twist for a 30 cal is 12". Period. Even a 12" twist stabilises 200g and 220g bullets. My Palma barrel is a 13" twist for 155g Palma bullets, they are perfectly stable, and so are 178's I used for Full bore in the same twist rate.
Stop reading and start shooting buddy, cuz what you say is not correct. (I do not mean for this to sound condescending.)

Cheers.
Using Berger's twist calc and doing some from JBM with a 24" barrel it showed unstably with a 10. It's more of a recommendation, I guess? Altitude, temp, velocity, but haven't tested in real world. If it works for other, then good for them. I'm starting from scratch, so no real world experience with those bullets. I have noticed Berger states 1 thing on the box, but another in the book. Maybe they have changed since I bought the bullets 2 years ago? Their manual does have holes in their data. I found that out after purchasing their 22cal 90gr bullets. There was no way to seat then at 2.260" with case length of 1.750".

Most to all of my shooting is around the 2,250' elevation and with fmj and a few Sbt, so the target and newer hunting bullets (vld, eld and similar) will be a learning curve. I'll find out whether a slower recommended twist will/can stabilize what bullets I have? For those that are able to use slower than recommended then you're doing good!

Most to all of my shooting is around the 2,250' elevation and with fmj and a few Sbt, so the target and newer hunting bullets (vld, eld and similar) will be a learning curve. I'll find out whether a slower recommended twist will/can stabilize what bullets I have? For those that are able to use slower than recommended then you're doing good!
I'm shooting my 225 elds out of my 10 twist .300 Winnie at 1100 elevation in temperatures as cold as -30 c (wanna go colder just to see what happens, and it does get colder here in Saskatchewan - Fahrenheit and celcius meet at around -40 and it got colder than that this winter a few times). Low elevation and suuuuuper thick cold air and no problems. Best of luck on that learning curve!

No offense, but it sounds like you're offering up a lot of opinionated advice about something you have limited real world experience with. A 1:10 300WM will stabilize pretty much everything but the very longest of bullets. You are putting way too much stock in that 1.4 number. I've shot 75gr AMAX from a 26" 1:9 twist .223 at 1100' with outstanding accuracy out to distances that would probably have people calling BS. Check the stability value on that and think about what those stability numbers actually mean.

I have shot 230g Berger's out of many 30 cal cartridges with 10" twist with not a single stability problem…so where are you getting this info that defies real world results?
Standard twist for a 30 cal is 12". Period. Even a 12" twist stabilises 200g and 220g bullets. My Palma barrel is a 13" twist for 155g Palma bullets, they are perfectly stable, and so are 178's I used for Full bore in the same twist rate.
Stop reading and start shooting buddy, cuz what you say is not correct. (I do not mean for this to sound condescending.)

Cheers.
Spot on MM

No offense, but it sounds like you're offering up a lot of opinionated advice about something you have limited real world experience with. A 1:10 300WM will stabilize pretty much everything but the very longest of bullets. You are putting way too much stock in that 1.4 number. I've shot 75gr AMAX from a 26" 1:9 twist .223 at 1100' with outstanding accuracy out to distances that would probably have people calling BS. Check the stability value on that and think about what those stability numbers actually mean.
So from your keyboard worrier mentally you go where you want. I haven't tested those numbers, it it could be at least a reference point. Number can lie! If I had time and resources for testing then I would. Just like numbers on paper can seem good, but actual doesn't work according too the numbers. I don't mind finding out for myself and take other post into mind for possibilities. If it works for you then it works for you!

If you are printing pretty little round holes, chances are you are stable enough to shoot it a ways out. You may give up some BC. I think stability is something you DO NOT give up much of for shooting animals in order to ensure the bullet path tracks true during terminal performance.

Berger 215s have shot fine out of several 10 tw 300 WM, an 11.25 tw 30-06, and a 10.25 tw 308 win. Haven't put them in meat though.

So from your keyboard worrier mentally you go where you want. I haven't tested those numbers, it it could be at least a reference point. Number can lie! If I had time and resources for testing then I would. Just like numbers on paper can seem good, but actual doesn't work according too the numbers. I don't mind finding out for myself and take other post into mind for possibilities. If it works for you then it works for you!
Funny that you're calling me the keyboard warrior when I'm the one who has tested low stability in real life and you're the one getting all your info from something you read about online. My point was that if multiple people who have done it in real life are saying it's fine, and one guy that read about it says it isn't, the guy that read about it probably shouldn't be the one giving advice.

Last edited:
I need a good starting point on reloading 300 Win Mag for my rifle and would appreciate load recommendations. I have my own range and mainly target shoot usually 600yds and under, however the rifle may be used on deer or coyotes on occasion. It is a Precision Elite with MDT chassis, 30 inch stainless 5R heavy barrel. I am an experienced shooter but have not reloaded in 25 years. It shoots well with factory match ammo but I want better accuracy and with ammo being overpriced & hard to find I've decided to take the time & roll my own. It grouped well under an inch with Sig 190gr match & very well Hornady 178 ELD match. It did not like the Federal Premium with 185gr Berger Hybrid and hated the Browning Long Rang 195gr SMK.
I've had great results withSGK 165 HPS and 165 Nosler Partitions.72.5 gr of IMR4350.

Cheers.
Thanks for the reality check, I have always been in the less than 200 grain for my rifles, and was thinking of moving up in weight, myself and many others have read some of the Berger twist recommendation info for faster twist rates and that is where the misinformation has originated.

I need a good starting point on reloading 300 Win Mag for my rifle and would appreciate load recommendations. I have my own range and mainly target shoot usually 600yds and under, however the rifle may be used on deer or coyotes on occasion. It is a Precision Elite with MDT chassis, 30 inch stainless 5R heavy barrel. I am an experienced shooter but have not reloaded in 25 years. It shoots well with factory match ammo but I want better accuracy and with ammo being overpriced & hard to find I've decided to take the time & roll my own. It grouped well under an inch with Sig 190gr match & very well Hornady 178 ELD match. It did not like the Federal Premium with 185gr Berger Hybrid and hated the Browning Long Rang 195gr SMK.
Just a reminder, since you haven't reloaded in a few years, for best consistency and safety don't mixed brass from multiple companies. Brass volumes can vary a lot manufacturer to manufacturer. One load that runs OK in brass A may be over pressure in brass B.

For your loads I'd try to use a heavier for caliber/higher BC bullet if you can. Its going to resist wind better because the higher BC.