Reloading 300 Win Mag

Thanks for the information everyone. Might look into getting a Willis collet die, just in case I do have a problem in the near future. What powder is everyone using? I have some H4350 and IMR4831 that I am thinking of using. Curious what everyone thinks of these two powders for 300 WM.
I'd give H4831sc a try...works better than H1000, RL 26 in my Rem. 700...
Thanks for the information everyone. Might look into getting a Willis collet die, just in case I do have a problem in the near future. What powder is everyone using? I have some H4350 and IMR4831 that I am thinking of using. Curious what everyone thinks of these two powders for 300 WM.

I've been waiting for a coons age for Graf's to get the Peterson Long brass in stock. Seems to be as scarce as hens teeth.
I went to the Peterson site, thinking I'd buy from the manufacturer and you get directed back to Graf's, so I assume they are the exclusive distributor for Peterson. Sigh.
I'm really keen to try the Peterson cases but thankful I'm not held up for reloading for lack of other cases, all of which have given me good service.
Still, the heart ❤ wants what the heart ❤ wants, eh? LOL
Huggy you might try Brownells/Sinclair site, I believe I have seen it on there a few times. I actually had ordered some from them until I realized that it was the standard brass and I called and cancelled it. That was several months ago but might be worth a look anyway.

I'm loading 200 grain and maybe 220 grain eldx's. I have new, blue bag, Winchester brass, federal large magnum primers and I'm probably going to use H4350. Wish I had waited for the Peterson brass now.
H4350 works ok in lighter weight bullets, but my particular rifle has a tight chamber and a 26" Kreiger barrel that prefers heavier bullets and H1000, RL26, and surprisingly IMR4350 for the 180 class Nosler BT and AB.

It seems that H1000 and RL 26 is increasingly difficult to find these days. Hopefully I can trade for it here in Michigan.
RL26 is available here where I'm at, just picked up 2 more lb yesterday for $34 each. My LGS has also had H1000 and a little H4350 but he wants more than I am willing to pay at this point in time. Hopefully it will come down a little in the future, or maybe not, no one knows for sure.

Huggy you might try Brownells/Sinclair site, I believe I have seen it on there a few times. I actually had ordered some from them until I realized that it was the standard brass and I called and cancelled it. That was several months ago but might be worth a look anyway.
I just checked Brownells site, they do have some Peterson brass listed, but I no longer see the 300WM as one of them.

EE_Reloader I understand your concerns and worries of the belt bump, as I had these same fears when I first started researching on this caliber. I use Norma brass and have 6 reloads on this brass and have not had one issue. I would safe my money on the Willis die and spend the money on a good set of dies. I typically use Redding Competition dies, but bought the Forster Bushing Bump Neck Sizing die for the 300 Win Mag. I haven't tried any H4350 or H4831, but can tell you the my Cooper really likes 168gr SMK with H4831SC and 208gr Hornady with H1000 and Retumbo. The velocity on the Retumbo is insane! I didn't a lot of testing with primers and found that Fed Mag Match gives best consistency and results.
I won the Cooper Long Rand Open Country at the Cooper One Shot East competition in 2019. I always wanted a 300 Win Mag, but never could justify in buying one. Cooper guarantees that all their guns will shoot .500" groups at 100yds. I can tell you that I have achieved some really great groups with the 208gr bullets, the best being .098" on a 4 shot group at 200yds. That's a .406 hole minus the .308. Good luck !

For hunting cartridges I just make the die flush with the shell holder and have never had an issue in 50++ years...your not benchrest shooting at game...an inch difference matters little..

Not saying the "bulge" never happens, but I suspect it is most often developed by over pressured loading practices, or a problem resulting from trying to use brass previously fired in another (i.e. larger) rifle chamber.

Hello everyone. I have been reloading for about 3 years now and recently found myself wanting to reload for 300 Win Mag. I have never reloaded a magnum caliber before so I set about learning as much as possible about the process. In doing so I stumbled across the "belt bulge" phenomenon. I must admit that this information has made me somewhat nervous to start this process. So I wanted to ask more experienced reloaders about their experiences. Is the "belt bulge" as big of a deal as I have read or will bumping the case .001-.002" using a FL Redding S die prevent this from happening? Has anyone ran into this problem and made your brass unusable? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

larry willis dye will fix belt bulge with no problems. Great little dye.
works great and have got to the point I do all my belted magnum with it.
along with bumping back .002 th.

So I was able to secure some more H4350, 3 boxes of 220 grain eldx's, and 1 box of 200 grain eldx's. What are people's opinion on shooting 220's vs 200's. Should I maybe try to trade the 220's for more 200's or will I be able to get adequate velocity out of the 220's with H4350? I wish I could get my hands on some H1000 or RL26 but for now this is what I have to work with. Thoughts?

It sounds like your limited by powder type? H4350 isn't going to get you as much velocity. Looking at the Hodgdon loading data, and using a 200 grain bullet, your velocity will be around 2740 fps.