Reloading my .300 Win Mag

efornyMT

Hi there all. I am just getting into the art of reloading and am looking for some advice. I have the Hornady Lock and Load kit and have loaded a little but am having a hard time determining if I am seating the bullet to the correct depth... at least to start. I know that there will be some tweaking in the future and changing this or that; but does anyone have any good ways to make sure my die it set up to the proper depth etc? Do I need a caliper to measure the over all length and match to the C.O.L? Like I said before, I am brand new to this and am looking for any advice I can get! Thanks for your time! gun)

Yeah, stop everything and get a caliper. Adjust your bullet seating die till the cartridge overall length is 3.340" (which is the industry standard maximum).

Just start with that. When you learn a bit more about how to measure your rifles chamber, then you can start tweaking it.

Make sure you read up on what you are doing. You should have the Hornady manual that came with the kit. If not, get a manual.

Try these:

Attachments

• modcase.jpg
    modcase.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 108
  • caliperJIG.jpg
    caliperJIG.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 95
Hi there all. I am just getting into the art of reloading and am looking for some advice. I have the Hornady Lock and Load kit and have loaded a little but am having a hard time determining if I am seating the bullet to the correct depth... at least to start. I know that there will be some tweaking in the future and changing this or that; but does anyone have any good ways to make sure my die it set up to the proper depth etc? Do I need a caliper to measure the over all length and match to the C.O.L? Like I said before, I am brand new to this and am looking for any advice I can get! Thanks for your time! gun)

Follow the seating die instructions, screw the die in on a sized case, as soon as it contacts the case mouth, back it out one turn, tighten the lock ring and set screw. All further adjustmeny is made with the seater plug, loosen the lock nut, and adjust it in or out to change seating depth.
Use whatever COL your manual suggests to start with, or .010" short of max mag length if it doesn't hit the rifling first.
If you have some factory ammo, and no caliper, use the factory round to gauge the length at eye level, start long and keep adjusting 1/4 turn of the seater plug, use a small flat blade screw driver. When they're tge same length, put the adjusted case in the die all the way up, and tighten the lock nut, just snug, do not overtighten it, the adjustment can change.

Cheers.
gun)

Yeah, stop everything and get a caliper. Adjust your bullet seating die till the cartridge overall length is 3.340" (which is the industry standard maximum).

Just start with that. When you learn a bit more about how to measure your rifles chamber, then you can start tweaking it.

Make sure you read up on what you are doing. You should have the Hornady manual that came with the kit. If not, get a manual.

+1 ... and enjoy the learning process.

What JohnnyK said earlier. I just started reloading my 300 win mag this week and using the Hornady OAL gauge and bullet comparator makes it super easy. I got close with my seating die and then it took two more dummy loads to get it exact.

Robert

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the replies, and sorry it took me so long to get back on here. I definitely took the advice to heart and got a caliper and took my time with my first loads. I got out to the range and they fed, ejected and shot great! Thanks again!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.