.300 win mag: pursuing 4000 feet per second.

Good luck with that load .I bet that's really hard on your barrel .I only shoot heavier bullets in my 264 win mag and 338-378 to make the barrels last longer .I tried 125 gr in 3006 and lost a huge nontypical buck due to the bullet blowing up on the shoulder going in .I switched back to 180 gr quick and it worked a zillion times better .
As I posted in response to the barrel question in other threads…I wish the people who were so concerned with barrel life would just discover the .308 already, be happy forever, and leave us speed freaks alone haha! Fussing about a barrel lasting forever on a hunting rifle (not a plinking rifle or competition rifle) deliberately chambered in a magnum cartridge just seems paradoxical.

As I posted in response to the barrel question in other threads…I wish the people who were so concerned with barrel life would just discover the .308 already, be happy forever, and leave us speed freaks alone haha! Fussing about a barrel lasting forever on a hunting rifle (not a plinking rifle or competition rifle) deliberately chambered in a magnum cartridge just seems paradoxical.
WHAT? They don't....when did that happen? Barrel on my 460 has another person's lifetime in it I'm sure! You want a paradox...then please explain the phenomenon of why my 50 bmg shells eject...COOL! This one I can't answer! 243 grains of H1000...COOL! Yet 223 down the back of your collar has you doing circles!

WHAT? They don't....when did that happen? Barrel on my 460 has another person's lifetime in it I'm sure! You want a paradox...then please explain the phenomenon of why my 50 bmg shells eject...COOL! This one I can't answer! 243 grains of H1000...COOL! Yet 223 down the back of your collar has you doing circles!
That is weird man! Hopefully someone smarter than us can explain this phenomenon. I know I've seen those videos where someone gets a piece of brass in their clothing and screams and dances and I've always thought it must be drama for the sake of viewers…but I've never done much with semiautos at all.

Bolt gun vs auto brass temp has to do with dwell time in the chamber and heat transfer.
Your .50 BMG a bolt gun? Bet it is, you cannot just immediately grab spent brass from a M107 Barrett. Got a buddy with a .50 BMG improved bolt gun, eject the brass and pick it up.

Yep sounds right to me.

1st round on semi auto gets ejected real quick. Maybe by 4th or 5th round semi auto brass is getting hotter just due to rising temps.

Bolt action, stays in there until you eject it, which will take longer so more heat transfer, and certainly after 4 or 5 shots and sitting in there longer that brass will singe you.

Are you up for some induction annealing of your fingers?
Remember ya gotta hold it for 5 or 6 seconds depending on the composition of your brass til yore
fingers glow in the dark, and its best to do this experiment in a dark room. 🙂🤔

Bolt gun vs auto brass temp has to do with dwell time in the chamber and heat transfer.
Your .50 BMG a bolt gun? Bet it is, you cannot just immediately grab spent brass from a M107 Barrett. Got a buddy with a .50 BMG improved bolt gun, eject the brass and pick it up.
Nope...that's not it! My bolts on all my guns, eject HOT BRASS...except my 50....I'm not talking about leaving the guns sit while I light a cigarette and have a coffee...I eject as fast as I see poi...and those big 50s.....are not hot, not even warm....cool! Weird Science! Or maybe I've discovered Cold fusion...

I'd be as surprised as you are especially after 4-5 shots in a few minutes that the brass is cold?

I do see you are up in Canada......maybe external temp has some bearing on this too. Arizona and Texas may produce different
results?

I'd be as surprised as you are especially after 4-5 shots in a few minutes that the brass is cold?

I do see you are up in Canada......maybe external temp has some bearing on this too. Arizona and Texas may produce different
results?

Only for about the first two rounds shot in succession...Then it's hot...

Nope...that's not it! My bolts on all my guns, eject HOT BRASS...except my 50....I'm not talking about leaving the guns sit while I light a cigarette and have a coffee...I eject as fast as I see poi...and those big 50s.....are not hot, not even warm....cool! Weird Science! Or maybe I've discovered Cold fusion...
Lot's of surface area to dissipate the heat, The McMillian Tac 50's were the same way