.300 win mag: pursuing 4000 feet per second.

Yes, Bean's comment about the sheer mass of cold metal in the weapon system itself surrounding the brass means it is a more efficient heat sink. Little .223 w high burn rate, doesnt weigh much, not much heavy steel. Big .50 cal BMG slow burning powder w a ton of steel around the brass to help absorb the heat....Maybe thats it.
Its got to be related to heat generated and heat tranferred and where it goes when transferred.

I think Bean got your answer.

Oh I think she's got a fair bit left in her haha. The hex boron nitride really does make a big difference on that front as well, you've impregnated the barrel steel (not just plated it but embedded into the porous structure of the metal) with a ceramic that can take heat like it's nothing and preserves the metal it's in very well.

I also don't get the point of owning magnum cartridges and being especially concerned about barrel longevity, though .300 win mag is pretty tame compared to many barrel eaters. This is a pure and dedicated hunting rifle. And I'm a busy man who doesn't get to shoot as much as he'd like. These two factors mean this rifle sees less than 100 rounds fired a year, and I NEVER do rapid strings of more than 2 or 3 rounds, ever.
That Barrel should last FOREVER

@Calvin45 I know exceeded your goal of 4,000 fps. Now did you get a chance to fine tune it for the accuracy you wish? Just like to see where you end up.
Thanks for sharing

@Calvin45 I know exceeded your goal of 4,000 fps. Now did you get a chance to fine tune it for the accuracy you wish? Just like to see where you end up.
Thanks for sharing
Gotta find some time hopefully tomorrow or next Saturday and get it dialed in good, want to verify trajectory out to at least 300-400 yards. If the g1 bc of .358 is accurate one could in theory zero it at 400 yards and (with my scope 2 inches above bore) it's 5.1" high from 210 to 240 yards at the highest and only 8.4" low at 500 yards!!! 😁😁😁😁. I remember when the 26 Nosler came out it was advertised as being "flat to 415" with a 140 at 3300 or something like that. To whatever extent that load is flat to 415 this one is flat to 500.

of course, I'm not going to try zeroing it at 400, that's just asking for trouble in so many ways haha.

This is also why I went with the 120 and not the 110. The 110s bc of .29 means that even if you loaded it to equal or even slightly higher energy levels it actually wouldn't shoot as flat as this 120 for max point blank range possible. The point of the scorching velocity is point blank range, not just to see the highest number possible on the chrono.

This is also why I went with the 120 and not the 110. The 110s bc of .29 means that even if you loaded it to equal or even slightly higher energy levels it actually wouldn't shoot as flat as this 120 for max point blank range possible. The point of the scorching velocity is point blank range, not just to see the highest number possible on the chrono.
Good luck on fine tuning. Again, thanks for sharing.
When supplies become easier to get I might try to see what I can get in my old Win M70. Only 24 inch barrel.

The G1 bc of .358 is not accurate at 4000fps it is a higher number, the .358 number was probably taken somewhere around 3000fps. It won't make much of a difference at 400 yards as far as
drop goes but it does start to at 500 yards plus. I would give you an exact number but my balistic lab is yet to be built.

Dean

Last edited:
Well…got shooting today a bit. Learned a few things I already new haha. I'm a pastor, and one of the best bits of wisdom an older minister gave me when I was new to this was "90 percent of preaching is telling people what they already know and pushing them to actually do something about it" - I already knew about of some of what I re-learned today, but I guess I didn't act accordingly so I had to be reminded by experience.

had a frustrating day chasing a seemingly erratic point of impact only to realize (DUH!!!!) that the poi itself was indeed shifting as the barrel was getting hotter and hotter. As I've stated I almost never shoot strings like this but today for what ever reason I was impatient and wanted to try getting multiple groups at multiple distances - stupid call on my part. She got real toasty and accuracy went south real fast once there. Finally I came to my senses and realized what I needed to do. I waited till it cooled right off and fired exactly one shot, everything about it felt right, so I left it at one and adjusted my scope accordingly. Proceeded to wait…did these one shot tests out to 500 yards, it hits where I mean for it too…it goes to pot if I shoot till it's roasting hot. Verified very scientifically at the end by blowing up a few water jugs at various distances.

also learned that the muzzle brake being open or closed (savage type) changes poi by like 8 inches at 100 yards, crazy. Leaving it shut.

saw something I've never seen before…the jug i shot at 150 yards was partially MELTED near the bullet entry, no mistaking what I saw, the plastic had melted a bit and curled back. I've never seen anything like that before. I guess hyper velocity does indeed do some weird things, and there's heat involved! Any of you guys see anything like that before? I wish I had taken a picture.

I think it happens to the best of us. We get too excited and miss the forrest for the trees. At leas tyou realized it early enough to test your loads.
Thanks for sharing

I think your 10 twist barrel is hurting you a bit, that's almost 300 thousand bullet RPM.
22s, 6mm, and 25 cal don't seem to mind that bullet rpm, but the bigger pills are different.

Dean