300 win-mag

dana bodnar

I was wanting to try some of the new 212-g Hornaday ELD Bullets for my 300 win-mag. I have a nice load worked up now with the 208 A-MAX with Retumbo has anyone have any load data with this that I can use as a starting point. THX Danagun)

I'm at 77.5gr of H1000. I have had some issues with this however. During load work up, this shot a .360 group at 100yd and I thought I was in the chips. They have opened up however. Now, best i can do is around 1moa. In reading on here, it appears the consistency of the ELD-x isn't there. I run the same load with a 210VLD and my gun shoots bugholes. My gun was built by Jon Beanland and has a Brux 1:10 barrel FWIW. I had them .015" off the lands. I have 300 of the ELD-x on the shelf, so I really want to get them to shoot.....

I shot a powder test cell out of my 300 win-mag with the 212-g ELD-X with Retumbo and the best group was a little over 1 MOA @ 100 yards, And like you said the same powder with 210 Berger was 3 shot clover all more than touching each other. I was hoping to see this work as I am told their BC is the same all the way and that my ballistic calculator would be more precise to my shot placement. ??lightbulb

I think I should try some R-22 and H 1000 and see what happens on another powder test I shot them all @ 3340 factory COAL. And if I get anything decent maybe a bullet seating depth test maybe their really sensitive to a longer bullet. Plus I haven't neck turned my Nosler brass yet.lightbulb

The extremely high ES and group issues may have to do with varying bearing surface lengths.

I have sorted lots of Berger 210 VLDs and A-Max 208s. The Berger bullet is much more consistent in regards to bearing surfaces. Bet you find the ELD-X bullet's bearing surface is all over the map. Sorting them by bearing surface length should help.

Good point I will check that out, I'm shooting the 208 A-MAX out of my Savage LRH-111 and it just loves that A-MAX.gun)

My semi custom 300 Win Mag really liked the 212 g ELD-X bullets. 77 gr of H1000 with Nosler brass and CCI250 primers was shooting very tight groups at 2891fps.

C.O.A.L was 3.58"

I've since gone to the 200 gr ELD-X bullets and they shoot even better. My 300 yard groups are almost as good as my 100 and 200 yard groups.
I'm giving the 200 grainers plenty of jump.

Try to change seating depth and see if that helps. If not stick with the Bergers.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.