.300 win mag: pursuing 4000 feet per second.

Woooooooohooooooooo!!!!!

update everybody!!!!

got the chrono and got to shoot over it today. I am beyond pleased. I closed the muzzle brake, not sure if that actually makes the barrel an honest 26 inch but it's one of those savage brakes you can just twist to open or close. The point of impact shifted wildly from doing this, gonna chrono it again sometime with the brake open and if it's not losing much I'll just leave it open.

anyways….I'll just include the pics of the chronograph readings about 15 feet from the muzzle. I had a hard time believing it, would have been a skeptic in the past but folks such as @scope-eye and @ButterBean helped me believe in this kind of light and fast performance again.

again, the specs are Peterson brass, fed 215m primers, 89.5-90.0 grains of superformance (I wasn't as meticulous down to the tenth of a grain as i sometimes am) powder, lightly compressed under a 120 grain Barnes TAC-TX (initially designed for .300 blackout, we're going a lot faster haha) that is treated with hexagonal boron nitride.

no primer cratering, moderate flattening, no ejector marks on brass, no stiff bolt at all (operated easily with one finger, cases just lazily fall out). Upon resizing, no notable case length change, no web expansion, no discernible difference in primer pocket tightness from virgin brass.

I hate that we have to say this but obviously this is a warm load and i worked it up slowly and safely. This is safe and functional in my firearm, not to be assumed safe and functional in others. Start at least 10 grains under this and work up if you should choose to do so. We are adults here, let us be responsible for ourselves even as we celebrate with each other's achievements.

Be prepared to try and understand the embarrassing happy dance I did when I saw this…
Y4K!!!!!!!!!!

I had a 300 WinMag and a 300WSM done with zero freebore, "that was the new thing at the time" they were both 30" 13 twist and shot very well but could barely reach 4K before signs of pressure. So I sent them back to the gunsmith and had him add generous amounts of freebore and let me tell you it opened up the flood gates best move I ever did.

Dean

I had a 300 WinMag and a 300WSM done with zero freebore, "that was the new thing at the time" they were both 30" 13 twist and shot very well but could barely reach 4K before signs of pressure. So I sent them back to the gunsmith and had him add generous amounts of freebore and let me tell you it opened up the flood gates best move I ever did.

Dean
It's Almost like Roy weatherby was actually on to something ahead of his time….:)

The smith said that I would probably loose a bit of accuacy by opening up the free bore. That did not happen not even a little, I did go from 3900fps to 4300fps before seeing any signs that the brass was suffering and not happy about it. Not to be inconsiderate but I was happy and that's all that matters, sorry Mr Brass.

Dean

Glad you got your chronograph back,it's an interesting read because I own a custom 300 win/mag my self,she's mostly set up for target but I could hunt her also . I've not tried the 125's as yet, have shot Barnes tsx 165's to 3343 fps,Sierra 175's to 3223 fps ,190's smk to 3000 fps , never bought any 200 plus bullets ,but that's ok . My 300 has a 28 inch #17 heavy varmit conture made by Krieger ,it's ss and has a 1/10 twist . I've pushed Speer tnt's 125 hps threw my 28 inch SS/Chanlynn 308 barrel,it to is 1/10 twist ,3500 fps with w748 powder . Good friend pushed Speer Or Sierra 90 grainers threw his 270 WSM and broke 3750-3800 fps, I've not tried them in my 270wsm , my 270 MRI ,24 bbl shot the Speer 90tnt's to 3500 fps easy , great subject ,thought I'd add my 2cents ,Cheers!!!.

The smith said that I would probably loose a bit of accuacy by opening up the free bore. That did not happen not even a little, I did go from 3900fps to 4300fps before seeing any signs that the brass was suffering and not happy about it. Not to be inconsiderate but I was happy and that's all that matters, sorry Mr Brass.

Dean
What were your doing 4300 with? 110s?

Good luck with that load .I bet that's really hard on your barrel .I only shoot heavier bullets in my 264 win mag and 338-378 to make the barrels last longer .I tried 125 gr in 3006 and lost a huge nontypical buck due to the bullet blowing up on the shoulder going in .I switched back to 180 gr quick and it worked a zillion times better .

Good luck with that load .I bet that's really hard on your barrel .I only shoot heavier bullets in my 264 win mag and 338-378 to make the barrels last longer .I tried 125 gr in 3006 and lost a huge nontypical buck due to the bullet blowing up on the shoulder going in .I switched back to 180 gr quick and it worked a zillion times better .
Define " Hard on your barrel" please and was it a Barnes Bullet that Blew Up?

The 4300fps load is a compressed load of RL17 I think it's 88gr give or take, With 110gr TTSX's .125 thou away from the lands, I also remove the blue tip from the bullet which lightens it up a few grains and also makes for a big gaping hollow point. I am sure the reduced bearing surface helps a lot, I "ONLY" get 4200 fps LOL with the 110gr Vmax's and 110gr sierra's with the same load.

Dean

I wish I had a nickle for every time I heard that, of course it's hard on a barrel it's also hard on a engine when you put a supercharger on it, but is it worth it of course it is that is why we do it.
If you use that load for shooting paper or any sort of target practice, it's a moot point but if you use it for it's intended purpose that's a lot of meat you can harvest. I also profile my barrels so I can set them back several times at 1/4 the price of a new barrel.

Dean

Last edited:
This goes for pretty much all my barrels that I load for all out performance take no prisoners loads. The first 500 rounds are match quality then from 500 to 750 they are target quality and from then on up to 1000 rounds it's a hunting rifle. Then I cut off 1/2 in off they end and stuff the reamer where the sun don't shine and do it all over again. It's actually better the first few set backs then when it was new, my take is the rifling has smoothed out and the barrel has settled to where it wants to be from all the heat cycles.

Dean