300 Win Mag or 338 Win Mag

if it was my choice......and this is just OPINION.....

I would be investigating the 6.5 PRC seriously......lot less recoil than the 300 Winnie, or the 300 PRC....
and contrary to many peoples ideas, the 6.5 PRC was NOT developed from the 300 PRC.....it was necked up from the
.300 RCM, (Ruger Compact Magnum), and holds about 62 grs powder rather than the 77 grs the 300 PRC holds.....
less recoil, still shoots FLAT. there is a widely varied selection of very good bullets available for it, and it's also
quite accurate, and headspaces on the shoulder, instead of the belt...I expect this cartridge to pretty much take over
the hunting world in 10 years or so.....I definitely use BONDED bullets however, whatever your preference for brand is.....
Good Luck

P.S. I'm 75 years old, and have loaded and shot a lot of different cartridges-calibers over the years, ( started reloading in 1960), and have
never lost the interest in it....what the 6.5 Creedmore is, the 6.5 PRC is in SPADES ! getcha some !

P.P.S. I didn't catch that you already had a 6.5 x 68....if you need more than THAT, I would get a .300 PRC....why? I don't like belts.

Last edited:
I have 264WN, 7mm Rem, 308NM and 338WM. Hunting in Africa I used 308NM and 338WM. I am not into heavy bullets. I use 165gr in my 308NM, and 200gr in my 338WM.i feat the .338 did a better job. I shoot 3300fps (26" barrel) with the 308NM with H4350, and 3220fps (24" barrel) in the 338WM with W760. I use a muzzle brake on the 338. It's a little pup dog now. They are easy 500yd rifles. I use AccuBond bullets. I don't have anything with a fast twist barrel to handle the copper bullets. Now I am getting a new 338WM in a 26" barrel with brake. I am hopping to change out to H4350 powder. All are Fed-210 primers. Powder load are in the 75+ grain level. Any more I would get a muzzle brake on any mag. I produce 5 shot groups in the 1/2" area with either one @ 100yds. If you are planning on shooting 700+yds and more then I would go to the 300WM.

Your 6.5 x 68 covers the flat-shooting .264" territory. If you're looking for a little more terminal energy on long shots, not sure you need to step up all the way to 30 cal. A 28 Nosler would give you a flat-shooting cartridge with a heavier / higher BC projectile compared to your 6.5 x 68.

Not knowing what the caliber is going to be used for other than just having a 33cal is in question. Maybe range and what would be the largest type of animal will be shot should be answered.

I am looking at getting another Bang Stick for open country long range carry gun
Im looking at Either a 300 Win Mag or a 338 Win Mag
I have read articles on both calibers can I have people's real life pros and cons they have found
Living in New Zealand alot of the country hunted if not almost straight up is straight down
Main goto gun is 260 rem and I have a heavy barrel 6.5x68 that I use as my truck gun I also reload
Any advice would be welcome
i would choose the 300 wm, or better 300 rum. my 2 cents. i was intrigued here because your name is 260 rem, one of my favorite cartridges and greatly under appreciated. everything the 6.5 creed is and a little more. i also really like the 6.5 x 68, basically a 264 wm without the belt. i had one built by benchmark, but i had the folks at PTG do the reamer as an improved design. i had it done before the 26 nosler or i would have gone that route. i shoot 140 barnes xlc's, old stock, no longer available, about 3300. spent 2 years as a mormon missionary in kiwi land, and have very fond memories.

If components are
I am looking at getting another Bang Stick for open country long range carry gun
I have read articles on both calibers can I have people's real life pros and cons they have found
Living in New Zealand alot of the country hunted if not almost straight up is straight down
Main goto gun is 260 rem and I have a heavy barrel 6.5x68 that I use as my truck gun I also reload
If components are available get a 300 Remington Ultra Mag. 2nd best rifle on the planet.

Consider the animal and the bullet you want when things go wrong.
For example, in the US for elk, I'd like a sleek all-copper bullet around 225grain: .338". And I consider 350-500 yards long range. 0.5 BC is fine. Is there an advantage to the 33 cal for anchoring an animal? Probably, but I wouldn't know how to prove this in a practical way. In Africa I've used 338 a lot and prefer it to 30 cal, but I really like having a fast loaded 416Rigby, the rifle in the icon picture.

To be honest, the biggest issue is having the opportunity to hunt. Then an accurate rifle with a good bullet can be used for a great and successful hunt. When in doubt, get closer or wait for a clear shot.

I'd go with the 300 Win Mag.More bullets to chose from and higher B.C. for longer ranges.Brass is another factor and the way thing are these days you must consider that too.There is more brass produced in the 300 Win Mag than the 338 Win Mag simply because there are more rifles chambered for the 300 Win Mag.You have to get into the heavier bullets in the 338 before you get into the higher B.C. bullets and the velocity is going to drop off a good bit too.The 338 Win Mag is a great cartridge but when it comes down to it the 300 Win Mag has a bigger case to work with,more bullets and bullet weights to choose from and with the powders we have today,it's a real flat shooting,powerful round quite capable of killing at distances farther than most people can accurately shoot.If you choose a 300 Win Mag rifle,just make sure it has a long mag box.The cartridge spec. shows OAL of 3.340.Every 300 Win Mag have owned has a longer throat.Often the max OAL to the lands runs beyond 3.500,which is a rather long jump if you have a rifle that has a short mag box.I generally find my hand loaded cartridges end up being around 3.500 for the best accuracy.

I have both 300 and 338 win mag and like both. Some years ago i did a study of the best all around cartridge at the time and 338 win mag was the best. I use mine for deer abd elk hunting. I built mine on a mauser action and federal barrel, no longer in business, accuracy is fantastic. Knock down great and I don't get meat damage like some of the faster 264s or even 7mm mag. Ammo is easy for both. I like to shoot my 260 and. 6.5s but hunting is 338. 300 should be great as well but haven't really tried hunting mostly for long range.