300 Weatherby build for long range Elk

The issue i had with the 300 wby, is being able to load over 190 grain bullets to fit in the mag well. Anything over/longer then 190, decreases case capacity and i could not get the speed out of it.

The issue i had with the 300 wby, is being able to load over 190 grain bullets to fit in the mag well. Anything over/longer then 190, decreases case capacity and i could not get the speed out of it.
OK, now that the thread has been revived after 12 years, as noted by @darrindlh 🤣 , and has changed direction from the OP, the issue you describe is not inherent to .300 WBY. The action/rifle set-up often is not built to accommodate longer than SAAMI COAL and capitalizes on longer bullets' higher BC offerings. Berger recommends a 3.56" COAL for their 190 VLDs. For instance, the .338 LM needs around 4" COAL to take advantage of the 250/300 bullets, unlike the .338 NM. This is one of the reasons I went with the .338 NM improved route on my current project.

.338_Lapua_Magnum_vs_.338_Norma_Magnum.jpg

.338 NM in .338 LM CIP mag.jpg

My .30 LARA allows me that flexibility to have a longer COAL. IIRC, ~3.75; mag's COAL is 3.850".

6 of 6.jpg

(L: factory 180 SP, R: loaded with 220 ELD-X).

OK, now that the thread has been revived after 12 years, as noted by @darrindlh 🤣 , and has changed direction from the OP, the issue you describe is not inherent to .300 WBY. The action/rifle set-up often is not built to accommodate longer than SAAMI COAL and capitalizes on longer bullets' higher BC offerings. Berger recommends a 3.56" COAL for their 190 VLDs. For instance, the .338 LM needs around 4" COAL to take advantage of the 250/300 bullets, unlike the .338 NM. This is one of the reasons I went with the .338 NM improved route on my current project.

View attachment 434659
View attachment 434660

My .30 LARA allows me that flexibility to have a longer COAL. IIRC, ~3.75; mag's COAL is 3.850".

View attachment 434661
(L: factory 180 SP, R: loaded with 220 ELD-X).
Wow what a difference in length to the shoulder

Just had a flashback of the first time I shot a friend's 300 weatherby he couldn't get to shoot good. It didn't have a brake and my glasses flew off my head. I handed it back and said I found the problem

Just had a flashback of the first time I shot a friend's 300 weatherby he couldn't get to shoot good. It didn't have a brake and my glasses flew off my head. I handed it back and said I found the problem
A buddy asked me to sight his in because it wouldn't keep a zero, he gave me box of ammo and off to the range I went. Got it sighted in and decided to shoot a few more rounds. During those few extra rounds I noticed the cross hairs in his old redfield scope were spinning each time I pulled the trigger. Needless to say it wasn't holding a zero any longer.

Easily the most beautiful rifle I've ever seen. Birds eye maple. Really gives an idea of what kind of man Roy Weatherby had to be. First time I shot a 340 was another buddy having issues. No brake. Not as nasty of recoil as that 300 maybe because of the extra weight but I'm pretty sure that's what cracked a molar thinking back. Hard to believe how well they have those things dialed in now days right out of the box with their factory ammunition and muzzle brakes. I don't think 3-600 yards is out of the question even with they're short coal

I bought My first rifle, a MKV really cheap cause the original owner had the same issue. Came with 6 boxes of ammo, minus the 4 rounds he fired (had the empty cases). Shot all 116 that first day, 24" barrel, no brake. What is this problem you talking about?

I bought My first rifle, a MKV really cheap cause the original owner had the same issue. Came with 6 boxes of ammo, minus the 4 rounds he fired (had the empty cases). Shot all 116 that first day, 24" barrel, no brake. What is this problem you talking about?
No thank you