.300 Weatherby Build

Abbeyroad2

First post from a new member. I have a stainless Winchester Classic with a wood stock chambered for 30.06 that I am planning on becoming a .300 Weatherby. I like the Mauser action, safety, and hate the rust covering my Mark V after returning from a recent Prince William Sound Bear hunt.
I need advice on the best barrel choices for this build and whether I should replace the wood stock, stock choices, etc. My smith discouraged the Haugue(sp) and suggested Mcmillen. I got the impression he thought the Haugue to be to flexible but I like the feel in wet weather when I held my brother in laws gun. Is there anything else I need to consider with this long range build? Scope choices, turrets, trigger selection? lightbul
I have enjoyed this web site greatly. Thank you all for your contribution.
Regards, mark

Last edited:
I have a Hogue with the full length bedding block on a 270 Win.

It's an excellent hunting stock. ...feels and shoots great. I regularly shoot 500+/- yds with it. Many here would consider that mid-range rather than long range shooting.

However, I would say that McMillan, Manners, HS Precision will all be better platforms for long range precision shooting.

You will need to decide where you're willing to compromise in terms of weight, stiffness, design, comfort, etc... It'd be best if you could handle/shoot a variety.

You'll want a 20 MOA picatinny base. I like EGW. But, a Nightforce 20MOA picatinny with NF rings and NF 5.5-22x56 NXS would be tough to beat. ...really depends on your budget.

-- richard

First post from a new member. I have a stainless Winchester Classic with a wood stock chambered for 30.06 that I am planning on becoming a .300 Weatherby. I like the Mauser action, safety, and hate the rust covering my Mark V after returning from a recent Prince William Sound Bear hunt.
I need advice on the best barrel choices for this build and whether I should replace the wood stock, stock choices, etc. My smith discouraged the Haugue(sp) and suggested Mcmillen. I got the impression he thought the Haugue to be to flexible but I like the feel in wet weather when I held my brother in laws gun. Is there anything else I need to consider with this long range build? Scope choices, turrets, trigger selection? lightbul
I have enjoyed this web site greatly. Thank you all for your contribution.
Regards, mark

I think you need to define "long range" in your hunting scenarios. That will determine allot. You may want a wider forend for shooting prone of the back pack, you may need ( or not) a 20 MOA mount for your optic. Also, pure hunting rifles for many of us are akin to a hammer. They are a tool. The hogue stock is comfortable, a delivers acceptable "minute of Deer" accuracy in most setups, but it is not a precision instrument. It just works. Also, your caliber is a stout one. Someone once told me to not look for weight savings in the stock or receiver and bottom metal. You will have to straddle a line between light weight ( portability) and shooting comfort. Consider a brake perhaps, and a well designed stock like the McMillan hunters edge or Manners SL.

To me long range shooting is 500 yards. I know much higher ranges are achievable. Shooting weight is not an issue for me. Definitely a shooting brake is desirable, vais, or musclebrake is what I've been looking at.
I have looked at VX6 & Huskamaw but am very new to anything beyond varix III Leupold.

There are lots of other choices. But, you should be in great shape with the stuff you're looking at.

I would choose Muscle Brake rather than Vais to facilitate shooting prone without kicking up so much dirt.

You'll need to discuss magazine feeding with your smith. 300Wby is quite a bit longer than 30-06.

-- richard

In my .30-06 there is a spacer in the mag. When the spacer is removed I'll be able to get all 3 .300's in there. I can put 1 in now but the spacer prohibits any more

In my .30-06 there is a spacer in the mag. When the spacer is removed I'll be able to get all 3 .300's in there. I can put 1 in now but the spacer prohibits any more

Well, you've got a lot of horsepower for 500 yds. So, it may be moot. But, I beleive the heavy VLDs seated long in 300Wby might easily exceed 3.6".

Will you be using factory or handloads? Either way, a sample/dumby round is often handy for the smith to verify that everythings good to go.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.