300 Sherman Shortmag (SS)

Ryan's out shooting so I'll answer for him. :D .Yes, you just neck up the 7ss. You will need a magnum bolt face and a magazine designed for a wsm.
Excellent!
I'd like to keep it an internal magazine/floor plate if possible. I'm excited to get this happening!!

I've had some very good results with 100v in the 243 and ai as well as the 06only 2 I've played with so far. I'm about to try it in a 338win mag because it is so much better than rl19 for temp stability.

I've had some very good results with 100v in the 243 and ai as well as the 06only 2 I've played with so far. I'm about to try it in a 338win mag because it is so much better than rl19 for temp stability.
It gives top velocity in my 338 Sherman LA

For me it has shot very well near the top with the 243's and looks like my best rl19 06 loads on paper. These 3 are the reason I started using it. I couldn't find RL19 or 4350 but 100v was everywhere.

Before I was able to get 26 to work in the 300ss I had the best speed with superformance and rl 22 both of which are terrible for temp. After that 100v even worked with the heavies for decent speed. I also use 100v in 6mm Ackley 243 270 3006 and 6.5 creedmoor.

Did a little more shooting with the 225 after a thorough cleaning yesterday from all of my testing with other bullets. I also changed my neck tension from .001 to .003. I decided to test the difference and get pressure back down a little so this is what i came up with.
20190105_151826.jpg

The bottom group is from the day before with 180 Berger elite hunter and rl26 at 3108 fps avg. Then 1 bullet from another rifle then the next 3 shot group is today with the 225 eldm and rl 26 63.4 grains. Next group is where I ended today at 62.8 grains. The top group is 63.1 grains. Kept getting a flier with the higher charges. I might drop another .2 tomorrow and see if i can get it to 1 ragged hole. I loaded 2 extra of the 62.8 because i had a good feeling and was right so ran the extra over magneto and got 2812 and 2809. Even if i end up at 2800 or 2799( some people might cry if it's not 2800 lol) and a single hole with single digit es that's most important.

I just cant leave good enough alone or I have a sickness of shooting :)
Just for fun it seemed like time to revisit hybrid 100v with the 225 eldm. I knew going into this it would not get the speed I'm running now but would be pretty close. I ran 57-58.5 grains in .5 grain increments. The loads ran 2751, 2776, 2792, and 2808 fps.
Now that I've backed my rl 26 load down I'm at 2813 fps and less pressure than the highest charge of 100v but the 100v will run with low pressure in the 2750 fps arena.
Here is the impressive part. 2 grains powder spread went into just over .3" at 118 yards for all 4 shots.
20190118_100747.jpg

Very true Rich!
Loaded up 4 rounds with my rl 26 load and shot at 991 yards. Unfortunately my plate was on a north slope and the snow was not showing my impacts until I got behind my spotting scope and was able to pick out 4 tiny holes in the crusted snow that were all perfect elevation and 2 to 3" vertical but spread horizontal from me trying to figure out where I was hitting. Even with that the 4 shots were 3/4 moa or less.
This freaking gun shoots! Just wish i would have read the wind better and been on the plate. I was around 1 moa to far right.
Looking like I'll be taking this or my 270ss on my aoudad hunt next month.

Hello, so I'd imagine you guys are the ones to ask for advice.
Leaning very much towards a 300ss build. I have a stock Savage/ Stevens 200 22-250 short action to build with...I'd like to run a BDL internal mag. Will the 300ss with 215 Berger's feed in a standard Savage set up or do I need to find a wsm donor? Or are there aftermarket options I'm missing? I like dbms, id just like to avoid a box mag that protrudes much at all for this build.

Hello, so I'd imagine you guys are the ones to ask for advice.
Leaning very much towards a 300ss build. I have a stock Savage/ Stevens 200 22-250 short action to build with...I'd like to run a BDL internal mag. Will the 300ss with 215 Berger's feed in a standard Savage set up or do I need to find a wsm donor? Or are there aftermarket options I'm missing? I like dbms, id just like to avoid a box mag that protrudes much at all for this build.
Pretty sure you need the large shank savage action to run the ss cartridges. Please someone correct me if I am misinformed. I have a short action Savage .308 that would make a nice 300 ss to go along with my .270 ss build slowly in the works, but I don't think it would work.

Recent Posts