300 Sherman Shortmag (SS)

@Idaho Trecker,

@elkaholic,

If a fellow already had a nice 700LH SA Switch-lug with the AI pattern magazine and was considering just purchasing a magnum bolt, SAUM/WSM mags, & have the new 30 cal barrel switch lugged to .300 SS, what velocities & COAL could be expected while maintaining a repeater?

Or would I be better off to start over on a long Action?

@Idaho Trecker,

@elkaholic,

If a fellow already had a nice 700LH SA Switch-lug with the AI pattern magazine and was considering just purchasing a magnum bolt, SAUM/WSM mags, & have the new 30 cal barrel switch lugged to .300 SS, what velocities & COAL could be expected while maintaining a repeater?

Or would I be better off to start over on a long Action?
With the std reamer, a 215 Berger needs just over 3" for max performance but less aggressive profiles will work fine. I have another reamer coming in about 3 weeks that will run the 215 at 2.965" TO THE LANDS so they should load well at about 2.950". None of the bullet body will be in the case! You should max near 2900'.
Again, less aggressive bullets would be shorter. If you wanted to go long action, I would build a 300 max.

Last edited:
+1 on what Rich said!
Even with the original reamer you can jump most of the bullets I've shot and had no issues with accuracy. His new reamer will address the longer bullets as he stated to keep the coal shorter.

With the std reamer, a 215 Berger needs just over 3" for max performance but less aggressive profiles will work fine. I have another reamer coming in about 3 weeks that will run the 215 at 2.965" TO THE LANDS so they should load well at about 2.950". None of the bullet body will be in the case! You should max near 2900'.
Again, less aggressive bullets would be shorter. If you wanted to go long action, I would build a 300 max.

So the 700 LH SA Magnum bolt was just ordered.

Which AI pattern magazine for the .300SS & Berger 215s?

When will the 2.965" reamer be available?

+1 on what Rich said!
Even with the original reamer you can jump most of the bullets I've shot and had no issues with accuracy. His new reamer will address the longer bullets as he stated to keep the coal shorter.

Bumping this thread.

How close are we to the start of Idaho's rifle Hunting season?

Close. I didnt draw any good tags so my 300 ss wont get any real work until whitetail rut. One drawback of living in dark timber country... not much opportunity for long range elk.