My newest 300 Sherman Shortmag

Idaho Trecker

I decided it was finally time to lighten up my hunting rigs. I've had a few more years under my belt since I did the initial testing on the first 300ss. My first iteration came in at 13 pounds and I guess I'm just not into packing that much anymore.

I figured it was time to finally step up and go to a full custom and see if they were THAT much better than a semi custom. ****! The full customs sure are nice but expensive and just as addicting.

The parts list this time consisted of a Bat Bumblebee, Allterra stock, Hawkins hunter M5 bottom metal, Bix n' Andy tac sport trigger, Bartlein 9 twist in Proof sendero lite contour copy, Salmon River Solutions 4" arca rail, and usually sporting a Deadair Nomad ti suppressor. I had the cerakote work done by Snake River Cerakote and gunsmithing by Valley View Gunworks. The fluting was done by LRI and is the Pattern X. Topped it off with Seekins low 35mm rings holding the Leupold Mark5hd 3.6-18x44.

This setup comes in at 9 pounds 2 ounces with suppressor. Not lightweight but not bad at all for general shooting with a small/mid size 30 cal.
Right now I've mostly focused on shooting the 205 Berger Elite Hunter and 208 Hornady ELD-M. Surprisingly I've not had very good accuracy with the Berger and have migrated back to what has always worked well for me.

I've attached a picture withtwo sighter shots after I slapped it all back together after picking up from cerakoting.

I'll update this as I get more testing done with a couple more bullets and hopefully stack some game up this fall.

20220628_091333.jpg
20220628_091353.jpg
20220629_163044.jpg
20220629_163054.jpg
20220629_163146.jpg
20220629_163134.jpg

20220630_162522.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that fluting sure is crazy looking, not sure what to think lol. Definitely never seen anything like it.

Kinda got mesmerized looking into it, said to myself "what the !^%^&". Awesome setup!

Congrats and enjoy!!!, she Caty but I like it, bbl looks longer and I like that for performance,action top notch , stock looks ausome Overall a great rifle and thks for the eye candy , Cheers 👏👏👏🥳

How did you acquire the Allterra stock? I thought they no longer sell them separate from a full rifle build.

How long is your barrel and what velocity are you getting? I'm looking at building a short, light 30 caliber short mag. Weighing options between 300 SAUM, 300WSM and 300SS.
The barrel is 22.75". I think my barrel is a little slower than my previous 300ss factoring in the length difference. I will chrono my load again today. After getting it back and zeroed it was shooting high for me at distance. I either was having some updrafts or speed is off. My original chrono data was 2730 fps with the 208 eld m and rl 23. With the 205 Berger I was 2825 fps with rl 26.
All of your choices have pros and cons. If I was shooting a factory cartridge I like both the wsm and saum. I like the performance I get from the ss in a short package and having the bullets seated properly in the neck. I was originally going to do a 20" also but from talking with a couple Smith's the fps/inch lost under 22" was significantly more than lost from longer down to 22".