300 Sherman Shortmag (SS)

I have followed 338ss quite a bit as well.

Going to order a Proof Barrel and need to decide....2850ish with 250 Berger(338ss), 2900ish with 215 Berger (300ss), 3000ish with 180ELDM (7ss) for long range hunting. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Comes down to what you are going to hunt, or may hunt, what's in your current arsenal, and what tickles your fancy.

I have not shot groups but winter is setting in and so will the boredom so I will eventually. I'll post when I get some trigger time.

Thank you for the update.

I am making final decisions on a new build. I'm having a Gary Eliseo build his stealth breakdown rifle with a peirce titanium action, PR 22" barrel. I currently shoot the 215 berg out of my 30-378 and it performs great. So I'm was hoping I could make that work with the new build. However, looking at your performance and load data the COAL is to long for the SA AICS Magwell which is 3.01" allowing for a 2.95" mag. Obviously I would still have to develope a load for my gun but thanks to the time you spent (great read and invaluable info) gives me a starting point. This is all new to me so I'm learning as I go.

That's good stuff! It still amazes me I have the only one after 3 or so years! Especially after hammering my Mike deer and nice bull elk over 1100 yards this year. The first year I got another 1100 yard deer.
Find my 270ss thread and another pot of coffee lol
I gotta tell ya, Just last night I am all but gonna squeeze on a .280 Sherman to the point I got Rich and the bullet maker(Hammers) in a three way p.m., making sure free bore is all there and such.
Then I hit "new threads" and your thread is in the top 3. Now I want to change the bolt face on the Savage 110 donor action but then no... I want a .300 Sherman instead of the S.S. cause there is a smidge of velocity gain, but I think the accuracy is better with the S.S. GRRR..
Gotta decide by next week, barrel needs to get sent to Smith.
But you got my reload map right in front me, thanks a lot;):mad::cool:

I'm really liking my 300ss still and cant ask for more! I finally have steel set at 1480 yards now at the house and just need some more time to get ringing it. I might try to see what I can get out of the 200 grain smk for that.
That 200 looks like a great match for the ss. You should be able to really sling them with the short baring surface.

They do have a really short baring surface (didnt have time to measure today before leaving for the airport) but they are like a javelin! With that long tip and the reamer I used those little guys touch the lands at 3.167"! If seated to a few thousandths off there would be very very little in the neck. When i did my initial test it was with the norma brass so it will be interesting to see how much more I can run the ADG.

I threw one together with 60 grains of hybrid 100v this morning to see how it does with adg vs the norma I had used at same charge. I seated this at 3.080"
20181221_093152.jpg

I just shipped the last of the 150's and 142's I had this morning so I can't check. If I'm not mistaken you can use the same reamer as you would for the 142's. Making them alot more user friendly if you decide you didn't need the .713 bc or wanted to swap a hunting bullet in there

I gotta tell ya, Just last night I am all but gonna squeeze on a .280 Sherman to the point I got Rich and the bullet maker(Hammers) in a three way p.m., making sure free bore is all there and such.
Then I hit "new threads" and your thread is in the top 3. Now I want to change the bolt face on the Savage 110 donor action but then no... I want a .300 Sherman instead of the S.S. cause there is a smidge of velocity gain, but I think the accuracy is better with the S.S. GRRR..
Gotta decide by next week, barrel needs to get sent to Smith.
But you got my reload map right in front me, thanks a lot;):mad::cool:

Since using a Savage use both, get another barrel and bolt face and your GTG:cool:

Since using a Savage use both, get another barrel and bolt face and your GTG:cool:
Know that my wife is not happy with this suggestion at the moment. She can't absorb the saved costs yet. I am not used to thinking "switch barrel". But this is a very good idea. I had wanted the .280 A.I. for so long, now the .280 Sherman has taken its place, and for good reasons. With the frontal mass of the .308 vs. the the .284, and the efficiency of the S.S. line, plus the hopes of good brass from ADG; a fella like m3 with a limited budget wants to think all this through.
There is already a tack drivin 7-08 a.i. in the stable(Lord knows I should go get a 6.5 need more:D). Soooo.... I think the 6mm SST and the .300 SS would be a decent fit, and theyed share the same bolt face. :cool:

If we work at it we can talk ourselves into a lot of things. Guess you need a set of switch barrels, 6.5 SS, 7mm SS, .300 SS, and .338 SS should do nicely and cover most bases. Maybe add a 6mm SS for coyotes.

Rich says there is no need for the 6mm SS cause there is already a SST. Jeesh.... keep up:rolleyes:
We have a 25-06 and the -08 a.i.,
And I'm waiting for the RPC line to totally be improved, but decent brass is 3 yrs. behind Rich. Guess I gotta lob rocks till then;)

I'm torn because I want to try some of the 200.20x Berger but I've tried to stay away from Berger for a couple reasons. I would imagine it would probably act similar to the 215.
I should get a day to do the 200 smk testing after Christmas and see where they fall with speed and accuracy then move to some distance.