300 RUM or 300 Jarrett

No you do not need a Wyatts magazine for 210 grain, perhaps you want one. I have a 338 Lapua that I load to 3.86 inches COAL with the 300 SMKs and my velocity is right where you'd expet it to be at the SAMMI COAL of 3.6 inches

Last edited:
JPRITT,

I hate to be the barer of bad news but if your barrel is in fact a 5 groove, its NOT a Lilja barrel. Dan does not make any 5 groove barrels.

Not a big deal if it shoots well but its NOT a Lilja. He only has 3, 4 and 6 groove barrels in 30 cal.

maybe I am wrong, but isn't the Jarrett a proprietary cartridge only chambered by Jarrett? His actions and his barrels too?

If so, it makes no sense to go to the extra expense of doing that versus off the shelf for less cost and more MV.

300 Jarretts are $40 box vs $20 for RUMs and the RUMS are available anywhere.

Building custom rifles, particularily barrel burners it is nice to have your own $140 reamer for any rebarrel where you know the dies will match perfectly.

BH

Fifty,

I'm sure you are right. I couldnt remember exactly how many grooves it was. I thought it was 5 but obviouly not. I know for a fact it is a lilja. My gunsmith had it in his shop and suggested it so I took it. I Guess its about 15 years old when dan was still doing all his own lapping. (so I'm told) I do know that it shoots AWESOME. thanks for the heads up. I wonder what it is now. hmmm

I bought a 300 RUM a few years ago in a Rem 700 LSS 26" 1 in 10". Its an awesome caliber to say the least. Very powerful and very, very accurate. I shot about 1200 rounds in 2 years through mine and burnt the barrel out, so I feel I have some helpfull information on the cartridge. I was getting 3200fps w/200g SMK's and AB's. I also shot the 210g VLD @ 3000fps because thats where it was most accurate at. I could push it to 3100, but the accuracy was not as good. I also shot the 220g SMK @3000 as well, that was a little hotter load, but accuracy was once again superb. All these loads were using H-1000 powder as thats what my rifle seemed to love from the start, so I never went any further. These bullets with H-1000 gave me great accuracy to 800 yards, usually around .75 MOA, for a factory sporter rifle, not to shabby, and if I was on my game, it would do .5 MOA. In my remington, I could seat all the above bullets to the lands and still use it as a repeater, which was a bonus. You dont need a wyatts extended magazine.

I would not build a 300 Jarret because of what everyone else has already stated. Why go the extra length, especially if your not gaining anything??? I personally dont see any reason to other then the already stated "WOW" or "cool" factor. However, the 300 RUM has its own "WOW" factor after shooting it for a couple years. I actually feel its a little to much gun for most circumstances and feel its better suited for shots no closer then 600 yards, this is just my opinion. I slammed a few cow and spike elk with that 200g AB doing 3200fps and it was quite impressive, from 75-525 yards, and it left fist size holes all the way through the shoulders and the elk simply didn't know what hit them. I also shot my biggest black bear to date at about 250 yards with the 200g SMK right behind the shoulder and he only went about 10 yards and was dead on arrival. Also got my farthest coyote kill at 775 yards, on the 2nd shot, with the 200g SMK.

The 300 RUM is an awesome caliber and I dont think you'd be dissappointed with it. Good luck with whichever way you decide to go.

Thanks for everyones comments and advise. I decided to go with the 300RUM based on everyones comments,and gave the custom build order to "Nate 308" from this website. I agree that the 300RUM will do a better job with the 200AB and 210 Bergers. He has a deposit in hand. It's going to be built on a Manners GAT stock, factory accurized Rem. action, with Krieger 26'', 5.5 contour barrel, fluted, DE muzzle brake. I am also going to have him do a paint job on it.

Trueblue, please post pics when you are done. I am VERY interested in intel on the Manners stock.

My next build is narrowed down to either a Manners, McMillan, or MPI.

Derek M,

I have a Manners GAT on my 7STW and like it very much. Very relaxed position for the wrist and trigger feel. I like it so much, I ordered another one for this build. That should say something, and turn around time is very reasonable.

you are going to LOVE your DE brake. make sure you shoot it once or twice without it just to make sure you really appriciate it. I wish I had mine from the start with my 300 RUM. I went 150 + rds without it and now you couldnt buy it from me for twice what it cost!

Great choices of parts! you'll love it. when do you think it will be done?? waiting is the worst part.

JPRITT,

I should have the barrel and stock in hand in Oct.,but won't ask Nate to work on it until after hunting season. That gives me all next year to develope an accurate load with the 210 Berger's.

Trueblue,
Can you comment on the difference between you GAT and say a McMillan A5? I'm looking at these for my next build. I'm really interested in the GAT but have never used a Thumbhole stock.

Thanks

Boman,

I do not have a Mcmillan stock, so can't comment on it. What I like about the GAT stock is the relaxed feel in my wrist and hand with the thumbhole. In a more verticle position. I can also pull the vertical grip in a little toward my shoulder with my bottom 3 fingers and get a steadier feel to the shot. It might not be correct form, don't know, as I have never been taught to shoot. Just know what feels comfortable to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.