300 rum vs 300 jarrett

Gixxerbob

I know the RUM has a little more gas in the tank to push the heavies, therefore, slightly superior to the Jarrett, generally speaking. Honestly, it's probably not significant enough to make a difference to me overall with 190-210 grain pills.

I have a factory remington 700 sps in 300RUM that I mounted in a sendero stock. I also have 300 pcs of formed 300 Jarrett brass. I love my 338 Jarrett and 7mm stw so I pick up 8mmRM brass whenever I see it and if I choose to keep the rifle as a RUM the 300 pcs wont go to waste. I have not shot the RUM yet (no dies, no brass and it needs a real scope).

Correct me if I'm wrong... but it's going to take 200pcs of nosler brass to last as long as a factory remington barrel in 300 rum?
The Jarrett brass is made by remington and I won't get many reloads out of it but it's still enough to outlast a new barrel.

whats your thoughts?

keep it 300 rum, add a brake for $300 And buy $600-700 worth of brass.....
or
re-barrel to 300 Jarrett with truing and a brake at $1500 ish? give or take? which will probably result in a more accurate rifle.

Last edited:
20211231_153257.jpg

If it were me, I wouldn't bother with the Jarret.
I have a RUM, several 300WM's and a 300 Bee.
The RUM truly is a step up from the long belted mags. I mean I just recently got 3400fps with a 200g Accubond, I wasn't even at max loads yet. The Jarret is gonna fall short of this mark.

Keep your brass for the STW, I have one and use Rem brass and have sized 20 pieces 5 times and still going strong.

Cheers.

I normally get about 8 reloads on Norma brass, before I start to see the little line around the case head. I just trash the ones that have them show up. On some it will show up at 7 reloads, other have gone 10 reloads plus. My loads are alittle on the hot side, so with a more moderate load, you could get more.

Recent Posts