300 RUM or 300 Jarrett

trueblue

I have a 30 cal. Krieger 26", #5.5 contour in 1:10 twist coming soon.
I want to shoot a heavy bullet, like a 210 Berger VLD, or similar. Looking for feedback on weather to build a 300 RUM or 300 Jarrett. I have read that the Jarrett is more efficient and gets the same velocity with less powder. Anyone shooting either one of these calibers with heavy bullets, your feedback would be appreciated.

For me, it wouldn't be worth the trouble to go w/the Jarret. I know some guys who have had them and they liked them but I just don't see the point. In my opinion, the 300 RUM will do everthing the Jarret will do and do it better and easier.

+1 for the Rum

Not only is the rum easier to get what you want out of it but with the rum you dont have to contend with a belted case

Get the ultra mag, it will do everything you can imagine.

steve

I appreciate your responses, but I was looking for a little more detail in why you chose the caliber you did, and why you think it is better than the other, or is it just that the 300RUM is a newer round ? For instance, do you get better performance from the 300RUM or JARRETT ? Why is there a problem with a belted cartridge, it seems to have worked in Weatherbys and 300 Win Mags for quite some time ? Or are these two so similar that it would really make no difference ballistically which one I built a custom rifle for ?

I may be wrong but just remebering back to the volocities some of the guys I know were getting out of there Jarrets, it seems like the RUM will offer you a little more performance. That however is not the main reason I'd choose it. Your going to have to deal w/ forming brass for the Jarret and that just seems like a waste of time since you do not gain any performance over the RUM. No sense in making things hard on yourself. Sometimes simpler is better.

YOu have to make Jarret brass which takes time and rum brass is ready to roll. On a belted case the case is head spaced off of the belt, on a standard case it is headspaced off of the shoulder which is better. I also believe you can get a little more power out of the Rum case.

Basically IMOP by going with the jarret you are just making things more difficult for yourself without any real pay off

have a good un
steve

Thanks for your posts, Lerch and Baily1474. Thats the kind of detail I was looking for. I am already reloading for a 7STW, same parent case as the 300 Jarrett. That was one reason to consider the Jarrett. And yes I am fireforming brass from necked down 8mm Rem Mag brass. Doesn't seem to be a big deal fireforming, as I am getting 0.5 MOA performance out to 700 yards so far with the unfireformed cases. I will consider your comments . I would think that either cartridge would shoot 210 gr Bergers at 3000fps, but I could be mistaken. Maybe fireforming 300 Jarrett brass from 8mm Rem Mag brass is more difficult than fireforming 7STW from 8mm Rem Mag brass.

I would not build a custom rifle chambered for any cartridge that did not have a ready supply of QUALITY brass available. Who is making quality 8mm brass?

Reloading dies would cost more. Resale value would be less.

I'm with the others at putting the 300RUM on the short list. The Jarret would be down the list quite a ways. Just MHO

Varmint Hunter,
I think your comment on resale value for the 300RUM would be accurate if that would be a concideration down the road. I would plan on using Remington brass for either caliber, as they make it in both 8mm Rem Mag(parent case of 300 Jarrett ) and 300 Rem Mag, unless you can recommend a better quality brass. So, I don't think brass will play a role in the dicision process at this point. I am more interested in hearing more about performance differences between the two, and what bullet selection would be best for heavy bullets and hunting. As stated earlier, maybe there isn't much difference performance wise between them.

I concede the point that a 300RUM will get more velocity with a 30" barrel than a 300 Jarrett, but one of the reasons I keep thinking about the 300 Jarrett over the 300RUM is that in a 26" barrel I don't see that much advantage in the 300RUM. I don't know if it is worth burning more powder, more muzzle blast, more recoil with the 300RUM for very little increase in performance. I don't have a biased opinion on this, just trying to look at the facts, as I presently know them, realistically and make an informed choice on caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.