300 PRC hunting build

How serious are you about 1000yds?
As mentioned I already have a custom 7 SAUM that is very capable in the 600-800 range for elk. So I am interested in the next step up in energy to feel confident in taking a shot past 1000 yd. I have killed enough elk to know they can be tough, and of course prefer a one shot drop out that far. (I have killed a few up close with a bow as well)

We dont mind a short 300 prc ...why carry around a pool cue when hunting ! If elr is your game I would go a different route

Attachments

• IMG_20191121_144336.jpg
    IMG_20191121_144336.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 293
As mentioned I already have a custom 7 SAUM that is very capable in the 600-800 range for elk. So I am interested in the next step up in energy to feel confident in taking a shot past 1000 yd. I have killed enough elk to know they can be tough, and of course prefer a one shot drop out that far. (I have killed a few up close with a bow as well)
Yes they are tough but thats not my main concern. The larger bullets will stay centered much better than smaller ones. Its not just about bc. Day in day out a 338 will just move around the target less than a 30. The heavier barrels will also shoot better as they go out of tune. Both can shoot equally well, the lighter contours just shoot worse out of tune. And the tune is always changing with weather. So since it does sound like your after a serious 1000yd and farther killing rifle, vs an all arounder that "could" do it. I strongly recommend looking at a 338 in a heavier platform. I am very confident you'll be happier with it.

Yes they are tough but thats not my main concern. The larger bullets will stay centered much better than smaller ones. Its not just about bc. Day in day out a 338 will just move around the target less than a 30. The heavier barrels will also shoot better as they go out of tune. Both can shoot equally well, the lighter contours just shoot worse out of tune. And the tune is always changing with weather. So since it does sound like your after a serious 1000yd and farther killing rifle, vs an all arounder that "could" do it. I strongly recommend looking at a 338 in a heavier platform. I am very confident you'll be happier with it.
A 338 would be a step up all around for sure. I guess I don't know much about the 33s since hadn't thought too much about building one. The new 338 Sherman was mentioned, and seems to be at the lower end. On the other side a 338 Lapua seems to be the upper, needing a bigger action?

What do I need to know about a 338?

Ok here we go !
I have three different 338 edges . Light med.heavy .
Simple really ..its a 300 Rum necked up to a 338 .
Any magnum Remington action can be used.
I just have the Smith lap the lugs and true the face . It's going to be your choice on a barrel . Mine are al 1/10 twist and work great !
If your hunting with it mostly then a 26 " min.barrel . The T-3 Termanator is nothing short of Amazing on recoil . Its loud though.
Shawn Carloc has dies . He is a great guy to talk too !
250 mag cci primers , h-1000 or Nv570, re-33 powder . I shot for 10 pounds on my hunting build . It ended up 10 .6 because my scope is a tank !
I jumped on the 338's after my Open Heart Surgery. It has been devastating on Elk and Bear here in Montana.

Ps . I'm not a pro just busted my but to reach my goals !
Good luck in your choice !
Please dont leave out the 338 Rum as a option too ! I have three of them they are almost identical to the edge .
I never tryed a Papu yet ...maybe someday .

Rum Man

338 Lapua, 338edge, 338rum, are all bad medicine for elk 285eldm,300 Berger 300smk
I love my Lapua and my edge the edge is faster do to the +P throat and longer barrel.
Have a buddy doing a 338prc improved we will see how that works out.

To add to this a 10.6 pound gun scoped is not that heavy I have 3 factory rifles with magnum sporter barrels and after rings and scope they are 9-9.8 pounds.

It is all in the stock.
Look at all of the varmint/sendero contoured barreled action with breaks out there, lot of it is the stock to cut that weight. I do know that I could drop weight on 3 of my guns if I didn't have NF NXS 5-22x50 on the also.
But that ain't happening 🤣

No such thing as too short ;)

my 21" load is currently at 2900 with a 215 hybrid at sea level
I would rather have a 5-inch longer barrel and carry an extra half pound of rifle to get the same speed it takes in extra powder and 5-10 pounds of extra recoil connected with it plus a lot more noise.

I would rather have a 5-inch longer barrel and carry an extra half pound of rifle to get the same speed it takes in extra powder and 5-10 pounds of extra recoil connected with it plus a lot more noise.

could not care one single bit about a pound of powder($30) over the life of a barrel much more interested in overall rifle balance and fit and convenience in the briar patch.

don't really care what anyone shoots, we are free men and women that get to make up our own minds. OP just asked about how short is too short for that cartridge and I'm giving him short barrel data so he can decide if it fits what he wants.

maybe next I'll build a 20" cheytac and really make it fun😁

could not care one single bit about a pound of powder($30) over the life of a barrel much more interested in overall rifle balance and fit and convenience in the briar patch.

don't really care what anyone shoots, we are free men and women that get to make up our own minds. OP just asked about how short is too short for that cartridge and I'm giving him short barrel data so he can decide if it fits what he wants.

That would make one hell of a fire ball at the end of that stump

That would make one hell of a fire ball at the end of that stump

It actually isn't significantly worse than other magnum chambering in a long barrel. The blast is pretty substantial though. Maybe Alex Wheeler remembers this gun, he built it.

You can jump to 1:55 when the shooting starts.