30 NOSLER OR 300 PRC

Case capacities will change with manufacturer of brass, as well as if you weight sort your brass. What mainly comes of importance is the capacity for the bullet you choose. Even then stick powders and ball powders will settle much differently into the case. This is why when you check some powder companies web sites for recommended charge weights they will give you several different bullet manufacturers as well as different bullet types. Check out alliants web site. They often have 4-5 different bullet manufacturers and types listed. Companies such as Hornady or Nosler will just advertise their bullet options since they wouldn't want to advertise for the competition.

No kidding? I listed which manufacturers I was speaking of. I listed the ones with the most capacity. I also listed the average capacity. The better companies have very small es. The powder capacity is a simple way to compare two cartridges.

What you are speaking of has absolutely nothing to do with what we are talking about. Different bullets of different bearing surfaces regardless of weight will have different pressure curves therefore require different powder charges. That is a fact even in the same case/cartridge. If you want to learn that is great but you are in over your head in this conversation.

The purpose of comparing the H2O capacities of these cases is to demonstrate that the 30 Nosler is a larger case. If everything else were the same the 30 nosler will run a given bullet with a given powder and charge at lower pressure. Physics dictates that it will be capable of pushing the bullet faster at the same pressure.

Last edited:
H20 capacity has nothing to do with ball or stick powder capacity.

H2O capacity is a much better comparison measurement because its density is relatively unchanged at ambient conditions. Using powders to measure capacity is a horrible comparison because of the differences in powders and even worse how they were put into the case. That second point is exactly why some use drop tubes when the case is getting full with the charge being used.

Well sorry I guess my late night addition to the post was off topic. Was just attempting to point out it seems h20 capacity is just a physical capacity baseline for the cartridge but may not be correct correlation of powder capacity or powder types.

30 nosler 300 prc what's next ? The biggest and the best just another marketing tactic. I'm going with what Randy Selby said 300 rum is best 30 caliber out there. Until you prove me different other wise !!

30 nosler 300 prc what's next ? The biggest and the best just another marketing tactic. I'm going with what Randy Selby said 300 rum is best 30 caliber out there. Until you prove me different other wise !!

Neither the Nosler nor the PRC is even intended to match much less exceed the capabilities of the Rum.

To match or exceed the Rum you have to go with a bigger case like the Lapua, or some of the wildcats built on the RUM case.

Neither the Nosler nor the PRC is even intended to match much less exceed the capabilities of the Rum.

To match or exceed the Rum you have to go with a bigger case like the Lapua, or some of the wildcats built on the RUM case.
Glad I'm not the only one that thinks this.

I feel like a broken record but if all you're looking at is pure velocity than you're missing the point about the PRC. Go try to find factory loaded 300 RUM ammo with a 215, 230 Berger or a 225 ELDM. The PRC is set up to work in factory guns with factory ammo, that's its niche, no one ever claimed its the fastest or the best, it serves a very specific niche in the market that almost no other factory 30 caliber round can match.

I feel like a broken record but if all you're looking at is pure velocity than you're missing the point about the PRC. Go try to find factory loaded 300 RUM ammo with a 215, 230 Berger or a 225 ELDM. The PRC is set up to work in factory guns with factory ammo, that's its niche, no one ever claimed its the fastest or the best, it serves a very specific niche in the market that almost no other factory 30 caliber round can match.
Since many of us don't shoot any of those four bullets it's a non issue. Since most of us will load our own it's even less of an issue.

The .30 PRC fills the niche it was designed for, something close to the .300wm in a non belted case mostly for competition.

Factory 30 Nosler ammo will run right with the 300PRC with equal length Barrels and equall bullet weight, now that ADG has 30 Nosler brass and if you use both with .225 freebore that's a different story.

Since many of us don't shoot any of those four bullets it's a non issue. Since most of us will load our own it's even less of an issue.

That's exactly why we're all missing the point. We are the minority of shooters. The amount of people that build custom guns, design custom reamers and chambers, use extra long magazine boxes, and hand load custom ammunition is pretty low compared to the whole shooting population. The PRC was designed for the rest of the population, so a guy or girl could go buy a rifle and ammo off the shelf and then go shoot at a mile. That's its niche, it wasn't designed to be the end all .30 caliber cartridge, it was designed to be able to shoot heavy for caliber, high BC bullets out of a factory spec rifle. It's the exact same niche that made the Creedmoor so popular.

That's exactly why we're all missing the point. We are the minority of shooters. The amount of people that build custom guns, design custom reamers and chambers, use extra long magazine boxes, and hand load custom ammunition is pretty low compared to the whole shooting population. The PRC was designed for the rest of the population, so a guy or girl could go buy a rifle and ammo off the shelf and then go shoot at a mile. That's its niche, it wasn't designed to be the end all .30 caliber cartridge, it was designed to be able to shoot heavy for caliber, high BC bullets out of a factory spec rifle. It's the exact same niche that made the Creedmoor so popular.

Exactly, even more directly all three were developed for the Precision Rifle Competition Crowd and Tactical Rifle competition shooters.

They were not designed or marketed to takeover any part of the hunting market.