30 NOSLER OR 300 PRC

I've had a 300 Norma Imp for years. I'm pretty up on what it can do. Mine holds just over 110grs with Norma brass and 108.6 with 423 Dakota brass. I also have 300wsm's, 300wm's, 30 Nosler, 300RUM, 30-8mm Rem mag's, 308 Baer, 30-338 Lapua Imp, and a 30-378 Weatherby Imp in 30 magnums. I will also have a 300 PRC in the next week or two when I get time to build it. I built my first wildcat in 1989, which was a 7-300wm.
Dang you're seriously under gunned in the 30 call department:D

I don't know what your talking about.:D Brux just sent my barrel for a 30XC. I have Proof barrels for another Norma Imp and a 30-28 Nosler plus a HCA barrel for another 300 RUM. Then a steel barrel for the 300 PRC and another WSM to run suppressed. I guess .30's are my thing. It's a good thing I had a fair amount of guns before I got married. Now my wife doesn't pay attention at all to what I do. Which is good or I'd be buying more clothes, etc for her.

I don't know what your talking about.:D Brux just sent my barrel for a 30XC. I have Proof barrels for another Norma Imp and a 30-28 Nosler plus a HCA barrel for another 300 RUM. Then a steel barrel for the 300 PRC and another WSM to run suppressed. I guess .30's are my thing. It's a good thing I had a fair amount of guns before I got married. Now my wife doesn't pay attention at all to what I do. Which is good or I'd be buying more clothes, etc for her.

Lol. Shes probably thinking the same thing and buying herself a ton of clothes without you knowing. Lol. Ive been having to downsize the rifle inventory because I dont have enough time to shoot them all. Harsh Montana winters shut me down for a while then the dang fish are biting so good in the spring and summer I cant get away from the water! Wife likes being on the water so it works out for keeping us both happy :)

Could you provide some details on max speeds you achieved using various powders/bullets in the 300 PRC? I would like to get an idea of what speeds the round is capable of achieving. Thanks so much.

Thinking about picking up one of those GRB actions for a 300 PRC build, or I could just go with the 6.5 PRC with a bolt and barrel swap on my Bighorn SA. Not sure which direction to go honestly.

6.5 Creedmoor for 1k yards
6.5 PRC for 1.5k yards
300 PRC for 2k yards

Am I thinking about this correctly?

I haven't built the 300PRC yet. All the parts are waiting for me to have time to spin the barrel up. This is my busy time of year so I don't get a lot of time to build stuff when I usually work 80+hrs a week. I'm not expecting miracles from it when it's only 2.5grs more capacity then a 300wm but I'll build it and see what 215's and 225's run through it.

I have several of the GRB actions. They are pretty decent for the money and better if your a dealer.:D

Never tried a GRB. I'm waiting on a new CCA Helix Lapua action for a hunting 300 NMI build with Proof barrel. Already a good ways over the promise date from Curtis on production of the action. Hope the Helix doesnt turn out like the launch of the Axiom...

I like that they will make a 1.1" tenon diameter in the Curtis but they are heavy compared to most other actions. Buying a carbon barrel, running a ti brake and doing other stuff is somewhat defeated when the action is 1/4lb or more heavier then other actions out there.

It appears that the Remington Custom Shop has started offering 4 different rifles chambered in 300 PRC.

The Custom Sendero, the Custom North American, the Custom C and the 40-X

I'm sure some will say Remington Custom Shop Rifles are junk but I've owned a few Remington Custom Shop rifles in my time and haven't have a bad one yet or one that didn't shoot well if I had them properly bedded. I've always wondered why it seems that they just can't seem to get bedding right.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2...ustom-700s-chambered-in-hornadys-new-300-prc/

The

Last edited:
I like that they will make a 1.1" tenon diameter in the Curtis but they are heavy compared to most other actions. Buying a carbon barrel, running a ti brake and doing other stuff is somewhat defeated when the action is 1/4lb or more heavier then other actions out there.

Yeah I look at design in an action more than weight. My CCA Helix is standard Rem thread diameter. Tenon thread diameter doesnt matter much to me when I know the barrel threads are spun up with ultra tight tolerances. Was gonna do a BAT HR, which is heavier than the CCA, but Proof only makes a 1.200" shank on their 30 cal barrels and I really wanted to try a good CF batrel. BAT uses a 1.125" thread so there wouldnt be any shoulder left on the shank after threading. Spuhr Ideal and NF Xtreme one piece mounts also weigh more than 2 piece scope rings, but I use them on magnums because they have perfect ring alignment and are way more rigid.

HCA will do a 1.25 or bigger shank if you want it and I'm sure Helix 6 will do it as well. You might see what the barrel shank is on the Proof's Jeff at LRO did. He did 8 twist .30's on a custom order.

I really like the case design, its a very sensible approach to a 30 caliber hunting cartridge, I see its been shot a lot the last few years so not just a flash in pan,

only drawback I see initially is what factory rifles can accept this 3.7″ OAL of cartridge ?

I have a Remington 700 action that has been milled to accept a 3.85″Wyatts mag box ,also my 300 Way Mark V action should be close as I think its 3.6″

I'm having a 300 PRC built on a Stiller Predator action which is designed to accept the longer Wyatts mag box,
I received my reamer, Hornady Brass and some Hornady 212 ELD-X ammo, now to pick up a barrel.

For what it is worth; my loads for 300 wby in the Mark V are 3.715" COL w/ 208 amax/eldm. they fit in the mag box with a some room to spare.

When the barrel burns out, am planning a 300 PRC for it..... just for giggles.
Although for me, there is nothing wrong with the 300 wby….
30 years older, feeling recoil a little more......

HCA will do a 1.25 or bigger shank if you want it and I'm sure Helix 6 will do it as well. You might see what the barrel shank is on the Proof's Jeff at LRO did. He did 8 twist .30's on a custom order.

Proof 'used' to do 1.250" on a smaller bores with a custom order. Not anymore.
Now they will only make a 1.250" shank on 338 cal and larger.

I'll check out those other CF barrels.

Recent Posts