30 Cal Longrange Hunter

ByronF

I'm looking at the Christensen arms ridgeline rifles for a lighter pack rifle for an upcoming Alaska moose hunt and high country elk hunt. I'm wanting to shoot the Berger 210.
Im having trouble deciding on the caliber and looking for some opinions and pros and cons.

300 RUM
Nosler 30
300 wsm
300 PRC

Not sure that the Berger 210 would be my choice for a Moose. That being said- Red Stag is the largest critter I've killed with a rifle. If I were hunting AK in big bear country and for an animal the size of a Moose I would probably go with a premium bonded or monolithic bullet (Nosler Accubond/Partition, Barnes TTSX/LRX).

That being said- if you handload then I would say run whichever .30 cal cartridge you want. If you are buying ammo off the shelf I would stick to 300wm, 300wsm or 300RUM.

I think it would be hard to beat a Ridgeline in 300wm, shooting a 190gr LRX at 2900fps.

300win and a 215 Berger, or 181 Hammer hunter. Or if you really want one of those listed, I'd go with the 30 nosler right now, and 300prc if someone comes out with good brass.

I don't want a 300 win I can get the same velocity out of the wsm.

I will be shooting Berger. It's my choice bullet have taken 30+ animals with it with great success. Including Nilgai, elk, and eland and Berger has performed flawlessly.
It will be reloads

I don't want a 300 win I can get the same velocity out of the wsm.

I will be shooting Berger. It's my choice bullet have taken 30+ animals with it with great success. Including Nilgai, elk, and eland and Berger has performed flawlessly.

I think the WSM would be the ticket- almost 1/2lb lighter than the long action Ridgeline. As for bullet selection- you're more experience than I am on big game so go with what you know. I would just feel more comfortable with a stronger bullet if I'm in an area where I'm not at the top of the food chain.

I would go with the 300 PRC in a factory rifle, it's properly throated for heavies and the mag length on the CA ridgeline will accept 3.7" according to their reps.

A buddy of mine is getting one through Euro optic, they're expected to have a shipment in 4 weeks

I would say 30 Nosler with ADG expect I think CA uses saami reamers. A .200+ freebore reamer is the ticket for performance otherwise with the saami your not much better off than a WM.
WSM limits you to mag box length with the heavys without having a bunch of the bullet crammed down in the case.
RUM needs a 4" wyatt box to reach full potential. PRC I hate hornandy brass and only one supplier.
If it were me I would find a 30 Nosler reamer with .225 freebore and get some ADG brass and find a donor 700 RUM action and have a good Smith put a quality barrel on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.