30 Cal Longrange Hunter

PRC I hate hornandy brass and only one supplier.
If it were me I would find a 30 Nosler reamer with .225 freebore and get some ADG brass and find a donor 700 RUM action and have a good Smith put a quality barrel on it.
Hornady won't be the only 300 prc source for long.
Mark my words it's going to take off like the Creed

I'm looking at the Christensen arms ridgeline rifles for a lighter pack rifle for an upcoming Alaska moose hunt and high country elk hunt. I'm wanting to shoot the Berger 210.
Im having trouble deciding on the caliber and looking for some opinions and pros and cons.

300 RUM
Nosler 30
300 wsm
300 PRC

Of those options, the RUM would be my pick. Brass is available and has the highest potential velocity. Find a 8 or 9 twist barrel and shoot the 230 Berger.
300 prc offers less velocity than the rum and is new, so who knows if it will last.
300 wsm is cool until you shoot the heavy bullets, then the case capacity becomes an issue.
30 nosler is a day late and a dollar short. Few brass options and not chambered much. Factory ammo is a challenge to find or is pricey.

I don't want a 300 win I can get the same velocity out of the wsm.

I will be shooting Berger. It's my choice bullet have taken 30+ animals with it with great success. Including Nilgai, elk, and eland and Berger has performed flawlessly.
You might as well eliminate the 300prc then, as that's not going to get you anything over a win mag. The nosler will get you 50-100 fps over the win. FYI the win mag will get you 50-100 over the wsm with heavies.

I have a Christensen for about 6 years now. After 4 nice bulls Moose with it. Mine is 338 Win. Really like the 225gr Swift A Frame and IMR 4350. I suggest the 300 Win Mag or 338 Win for your Alaska Moose hunt.

I'm looking at the Christensen arms ridgeline rifles for a lighter pack rifle for an upcoming Alaska moose hunt and high country elk hunt. I'm wanting to shoot the Berger 210.
Im having trouble deciding on the caliber and looking for some opinions and pros and cons.

300 RUM
Nosler 30
300 wsm
300 PRC

What about 300 Norma magnum?

You might as well eliminate the 300prc then, as that's not going to get you anything over a win mag. The nosler will get you 50-100 fps over the win. FYI the win mag will get you 50-100 over the wsm with heavies.
If the OP is buying a factory rifle with a saami throat the prc should have a decent velocity advantage over a 300 wm.

Not sure that the Berger 210 would be my choice for a Moose. That being said- Red Stag is the largest critter I've killed with a rifle. If I were hunting AK in big bear country and for an animal the size of a Moose I would probably go with a premium bonded or monolithic bullet (Nosler Accubond/Partition, Barnes TTSX/LRX).

That being said- if you handload then I would say run whichever .30 cal cartridge you want. If you are buying ammo off the shelf I would stick to 300wm, 300wsm or 300RUM.

I think it would be hard to beat a Ridgeline in 300wm, shooting a 190gr LRX at 2900fps.
I only hunt with the 215gr hybird Berger up here and have take many moose boos and both black and brown bears with it all one shot and none went more than 14 feet form the hit and none were closer then 375 yards with most 675 out to 890

I saw a bone stock Savage shoot 180 factory hornandy ammo at 3180, problem was next shot might be 3075

I only hunt with the 215gr hybird Berger up here and have take many moose boos and both black and brown bears with it all one shot and none went more than 14 feet form the hit and none were closer then 375 yards with most 675 out to 890

Glad to see the guys with AK experience chiming in! Seems like maybe some misplaced judgement on my part.

I was thinking worst case scenario of bullet vs bear at 5-10-15 yards-- again haven't been to AK. I have a trip planned to hunt deer in two years but I'm carrying my .338wm and 225gr TTSX.

Was just in the same place you are. Would have gone with the CA 300 PRC but they don't have them out yet (so why do they list it on their website? ).
Got a Fierce 300wm for now. May have to try out that prc when they show up.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts