30 Cal Longrange Hunter

I will admit to having a fancy for the RUM, although I don't personally own one. I have a .338 WM that I like but if I were just starting out, the RUM would be my first pick, especially for a reloader. Your only problem could potentially be that the rifle you get might not like the same bullet you do, which of course can happen with any chambering you get. For myself, I only hunt with Partitions and have sold rifles that refused to shoot them. Still, you have a lot of options because you reload, so if you get one that doesn't like your choice of bullet, there are other options that will at least work as well as your 1st choice. If you limit yourself to a particular bullet, you could be looking at major headaches. Then again, you might be the luckiest guy in the world and get one that just loves your choice. It's a crap shoot!

With all that said, I'd go with the one that will "probably" be the most flexible, which would be the... um... er. Well, I can't say! It's that luck thing, you know! So get the RUM, hope for the best and be prepared to be flexible if necessary. I say the RUM only because I like the cartridge. Bottom line, your best choice only you can figure out.
Good luck!
Cheers,
crkckr

Was just in the same place you are. Would have gone with the CA 300 PRC but they don't have them out yet (so why do they list it on their website? ).
Got a Fierce 300wm for now. May have to try out that prc when they show up.
You should see the CA 300 PRC available in about a month.
This is from a main distributor who spoke with CA directly.

Easy choice ..300 Rum with 230 bergers for Alaska and when your get back you can load some 190 or 200 gr.for you smaller critters .
My choice would be the 338 Rum for Alaska !
I'm just about done with the new build /load data and 300 bergers with a carbon Benchmark . Stock ,rifle ,scope set up is at 10.6 pounds now . Will replace the H.S Stock in time to a Mcmillian.

RumMan

I've been around plenty of Factory 300WM with 215 that would run 2900-2950
Nothing wrong with that from a saami WM.
If run at the same pressure the prc would beat it, there's about a 2 grain case capacity advantage.
Not to mention usable capacity is even greater given that the prc is designed with the 212 and 225's seated at the boat tail neck shoulder junction.

Nothing wrong with that from a saami WM.
If run at the same pressure the prc would beat it, there's about a 2 grain case capacity advantage.
Not to mention usable capacity is even greater given that the prc is designed with the 212 and 225's seated at the boat tail neck shoulder junction.
Here we go pressure, pressure, pressure.
Theres alot of things that control pressure, reamer design, barrels, case design etc. Theres nothing the PRC will do that the WM wont.

I have a Ridgeline 300RUM. Already owned an 30-06 so thought why not make the jump up for Elk. I did upgrade to the side port muzzle break an really it doesn't kick any worse than the 06. The RUM is a few oz less. As far as the box dimensions, its fine. You can fit 212g eld-x or 215g Berger hybrid to mag length for hunting an still have room for 90g H1000. Im get 3050fps with 212g and great results at mag length at about sea level here. Also if you got to look at longer bullets you would probably be better with higher twist than the 1&10 these 30cal Ridgelines come with.
The MPR isn't much heavier an you can get 338Lapua...

Just for the heck of it I went with a 30 Nosler on a Rem mag action. I can easily load the bullets out long and maximize case capacity if needed.
I originally had a 300RUM with a brake. I HATE brakes for hunting rifles, that's why I stepped down to the Nosler. I couldn't be happier, especially now that ADG has 30 Nosler brass available.

You can get any bullet to fit in a mag box, just seat the deeper in the case.
To get the most performance out of a 300 Rum you need a 4" mag box.
Case length to datum 2.544 on a 300 Rum. 210 at neck shoulder junction 1.260.
1.260= 3.804
230 will need more, if you get a Rum do it right it's not that difficult little mill work.

I saw a bone stock Savage shoot 180 factory hornandy ammo at 3180, problem was next shot might be 3075
My 300 wm shot 180 ttsx at 3250 and 200 ttsx at 3150. Grouped .250, all day long. Savage left hand bolt, factory barrel, 24", 75 gr, imr 4831, 210m, gun just killed every thing you pointed it at!

I'm looking at the Christensen arms ridgeline rifles for a lighter pack rifle for an upcoming Alaska moose hunt and high country elk hunt. I'm wanting to shoot the Berger 210.
Im having trouble deciding on the caliber and looking for some opinions and pros and cons.

300 RUM
Nosler 30
300 wsm
300 PRC
I would go with the RUM, it's an easy cartridge to get shooting accurately. Performance wise, it will do everything the others do and a lot more.

Here we go pressure, pressure, pressure.
Theres alot of things that control pressure, reamer design, barrels, case design etc. Theres nothing the PRC will do that the WM wont.

Umm yeah...

And case capacity is HUGE when it comes to pressure, thanks for bringing up reamer design that's my point..

A 300 WM chambered with a saami reamer is not going to keep up with a saami 300 PRC loaded to the same pressure due to USABLE CAPACITY.
This is assuming all other variables are equal of course.

Anyway sorry to the OP for derailing the thread, all your choices are great just pick your bullet and base your decision off of that.

I'm having my 300 PRC built by Tyson at http://www.cprecisioncustomrifles.com? Call him and discuss. He can build you a custom rig with a blueprinted Remington Action in the 2000-2500 range depending on options you choose. Mine which he's building now will end up around 2500-2700. Remington stainless action, Proof Carbon Fiber wrapped barrel, trigger tech trigger, nightforce 20 moa rail, Seekins Precision rings, all metal cerakoted, Grayboe Terrain stock with M5 bottom metal and 2 AICS mags. He can build any of the 30 caliber you want. He does awesome work. It's only a matter of time before other brass manufacturers come out with 300PRC brass. The military just contracted Barrett to make quite a few sniper rigs in 300PRC.

Use a .225 reamer on a WM like the PRC,
Use same length barrel, same bullet pick whatever case you want they will be so close you couldn't tell the difference.
The only difference one has a belt the other doesn't.
All I'm doing is pointing out the draw backs to each cartridge, just like the 30 Nosler saami reamer it sucks and so does there brass. I like the design that's why I'm doing my own reamer and ADG brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts