Cooper Excalibur/Jackson Hunter for Longrange Work

ramrod79

Good day everyone , I want to know if anyone is using their Coopers for Long range work weather it is hunting or shooting steel and what distances . I guess I really want to know what everyone thinks of using these rifles for long-range work,and the reason I ask is that I have a 280AI Excalibur 24" pipe ,and I use mine for long range work but I am thinking of upgrading to well lets say a better quality rifle or maybe just some add on features to help me out more not sure yet so thats why the questions,and I had thought of a 6.5 -284 Cooper Jackson as well for the longer barrel and better cheek rest.
My Cooper shoots really well at 300 yards about 1.5" 3 shot group ,and then when I run the rifle from 500 - 1000yards I get MOA with the rifle yesterday I was out, and was shooting a 5" 3 shot group at 600yards of my bipod lying in the snow (I know many other rifles shoot better than this at this distance) . My gun does not wear a muzzle break ,and I was thinking of getting one installed to see if this will help shrink up my groups some( any thoughts on this) although for my thinking a 9-10"group at 1000yards is really not that bad so let me know if there are any other Cooper shooters using there outfits for LR work ,and your results .

Coopers are awesome rifles. I've got a 300 win mag Jackson Hunter that shoots about the same as your 280. I've done minimal load development with it and quickly found a 3/8 MOA load shooting 208 grain Amax bullets. I think with further load development or possibly a different bullet/powder combination I could get it shooting closer to 1/4 MOA. This gun has a great stock, crisp trigger, and a solid barrel/action. Not sure what I'd "upgrade" to since Cooper's are very good quality.

A 24" barrel is about right for the 280 AI. You'll get another 50 fps or so by going to 26" but I don't think it's worth the trade off in maneuverability and weight. Brakes are fun, I have a mini magnum muscle brake on my 270 WSM and really like it. It won't help your groups much unless you're flinching but it will make extended shooting sessions more enjoyable.

1/2 MOA at 300 yards is not bad at all. There's no reason it won't hold that out to 600 or 1000 yards. Maybe a better scope would help, different technique shooting off the bipod, better rear support? It's also likely that wind is opening up your groups...are you getting horizontal stringing at longer ranges?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts