30-378 - whitetail bullet

Skeeter41

I know it is a bit overkill but looking for recommendations on a good whitetail bullet/powder combo for a Weatherby Mark V 30-378.

How do the 210 gr Bergers work on whitetail/mule deer? Would I be better off going with a 180/185 gr?

I am loading for my cousin and will probably only load 40-50 shells or so. Looking for a starting point.

Last edited:
The 210's shoot very accurately in my 30/378. Your distance will dictate this bullets performance. I've killed several elk at 100 yds or less with the 210, however some have posted problems at short yardage. The 200 gr Partition was my go to prior to the Berger, especially at 50-300 yards. H1000 for both bullets. Good luck

I used Barnes out of my 30-378 to start. They were great. I would for sure look at either Barnes or the hammer line if I was shooting whitetails close up.
I know it is a bit overkill but looking for recommendations on a good whitetail bullet/powder combo for a Weatherby Mark V 30-378.

How do the 210 gr Bergers work on whitetail/mule deer? Would I be better off going with a 180/185 gr?

I am loading for my cousin and will probably only load 40-50 shells or so. Looking for a starting point.

I have an accumark that I shoot the berger 210's out of and if I do my part I'm getting a 1/2 - 5/8" group at 300 meters, with 111 g of H50BMG, CCI250 primers. There coming out the tube a smidge over 3000fps. Unfortunetly, I haven't killed anything with this load yet, I'm hoping this fall will yield a nice buck for me.

I have done a small work up on the sledge hammer 199's and they made a 1"- five shot group at 200 meters for me first time out to the range. I am going to do a proper test on them to find there sweet spot and I can hardly wait to hit a deer or an elk with them. I know they will be devastating.

for deer, I would not overlook the Sierra 180gr Pro-Hunter out of the big weatherby and you would be surprised by the long range accuracy to 700 yards along with devastating bullet expansion and knockdown power of that particular Sierra bullet. Hit the deer in the chest cavity with that bullet at those super high speeds and it is just simply lights out.

For hunting purposes, the berger will kill but also don't plan on salvaging any meat in the area of the shot. I am using the 210 in my 300 WM and put it down for target only after shooting two deer with them and losing a whole shoulder.

For hunting purposes, the berger will kill but also don't plan on salvaging any meat in the area of the shot. I am using the 210 in my 300 WM and put it down for target only after shooting two deer with them and losing a whole shoulder.

Are you opposed to shooting lungs? It would seem like the obvious answer.
Have yet to see a deer go more than 20 yards when center punched.

Thanks everyone. I shoot all my deer through the lungs. I have some 180 gr Sierras at my house and will get some 210 or 215 Bergers.

I will advise him to aim for ribs not shoulders.

JMO.....With the velocities that you are pushing, I'd stay with heavier Bullets, and go "mono"! The kills should still be very quick, and you may get to bring home some meat! High velocities and rapid expanding bullets, generally mean lots of "bloodshot" meat. Unless of course, you don't like deer meat! ;) memtb

Are you opposed to shooting lungs? It would seem like the obvious answer.
Have yet to see a deer go more than 20 yards when center punched.

I actually waited for the deer to slightly quarter towards, step forward with the off shoulder and put the bullet just off the near shoulder behind. The exit wound was still large enough to fit my fist through and had blood shot and fragments in the shoulder yet. Not a friendly bullet for meat harvest. I have a picture, but this is not the place to put a bloody mess.

I am not talking down the bullet as this is the performance they advertise and it is impressive, I am just purely stating that depending on what performance you are gearing your load towards, to keep this in mind

I've shot several mule deer, elk and blacktail deer with my 30-378 Wby (3200 fps muzzle vel.). As others have said, don't shoot through the shoulder, but shoot behind it (at the crease to the ribs). Most of them have dropped in their tracks and those that didn't drop only went a few yards.

Believe accumark has 1:10 twist which would do great with 190 to 220 gr bullets. I use the accubonds in 200 grain. Good powder choices H1000, 7828, us869...Think you want to load for accuracy then shot placement will be shooters choice. Shoulder, neck, lungs, head, or in the hams is a whole other debate. Just go out with accurate hunting round a make your favorite shot that puts animal down quickly and humane

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.