Minimum yardage for .30-378 Wby. vs. Whitetail deer???

MudRunner2005

So, what would be the shortest distance yall would shoot a whitetail deer @, with a .30-378 Wby.???

I have been told that it's border-line...but not too destructive with Nosler 180gr. Accu-Bond @ 100-300 yards (meters...whatever).

If that holds-true, then would you recommend a neck-shot to preserve as much meat as possible???

What if the deer is closer than 100 yards????????

Will it travel-through too fast? Or will it just destroy too much meat???

I've never owned one...but I'm looking @ purchasing one.

I have a Remington 700-SF Sendero in 7mm-STW...and I've seen what it does to a deer @ 100 yards, and it wasn't pretty!!!

So, I put it up in the safe, and haven't taken it deer hunting since.

Would the .30-378 be comparable...as far as "collateral-damage" is concerned?

I know it has better ballistics than the 7mm-STW, and longer range capabilities...

...BUT that's about all I know? Oh, and that the bullets are like $130 a box!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm feeling a reloading setup, in my near future!!!

ENOUGH of my jib-jab..........OPINIONS........PLEASE!!!

Thanks,

Slayyer22

Put it through the lungs and they will die. You have a bonded bullet with a fairly solid copper base. If you hit big bone at close range then the damage may be immense with a commensurate loss of bullet mass.

If you must go for a mobility shot, then accept the meat loss that goes along with it!

edge.

PS How close? Closer than about ten yards and you may get blood splatter on you :)

I would think you would get similar results as your 7 STW. At that range the bullets are traveling to fast to be predictiable. Some might pass through cleanly and the next might explode.

If I was hunting with a max range of 300 yrds get a 308win. IF you do not reload I would never purchase a gun that cost 130 a box.

Think of it like golf, pick the right club for the right hole. If you in sandwedge range then a driver is over kill!lightbulb

Willys46

The 30-378 Wby will be just as destructive as the 7mmSTW. In the past I labored with the same problems. I finally was able to get it through my thick head that if I used the proper bullet and put it in the correct place I could minimize meat damage. As Edge said, a good bonded core bullet place through the lungs will generally to the least damage. Personally, I would dust the 7mm off and get back at it. Of course if ya just hafta have a new gun............ by all means go ahead.

Well, it's not that I don't like my STW...mine just happens to be so rare of a gun that I don't care to take it in the woods.

It was THE last EVER produced 7mm-STW Sendero-SF...EVER.

It was actually made by Remington's custom-shop, instead of with the standard barrel mold.

They had already destroyed the mold about 3 weeks prior to this gun getting ordered.

The serial number is almost the exact same as the other Sendero SF's in 7-STW, however when you look it up, it shows up as a Remington Custom Shop...BUT...it is listed as a Model 700 Sendero-SF.........and doesn't say anything custom or special about it? Except Remington Custom Shop?????

Crazy, huh?

It's a ****-sure one of a kind!!!

I had a .308 I used for hunting, and other things...a TRUE sniper-rifle.

Remington Model 7 action, M-24 barrel (5-R Mil-spec), H.S. Precision stock, Nikon Tactical-Elite 2.5-10x44 scope, Harris extendable Bi-Pod.

It was nice...

Until somebody stole it about 2 months ago........along with my Browning A-Bolt Composite Stalker 7mm Rem-Mag., with an ORIGINAL Bausch & Lomb Elite 3000 FireFly 3-9x50 with 30mm tube.

A Marlin 917VSS with a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x50

A BRAND-NEW Beretta Extrema-2 w/ Kick-Off system, 28" barrel, High Rib, Maxx4 HD camo, w/ AQUA-Kote finish.

And my ENTIRE bow-hunting setup!!!

Yeah...they ripped me a new one!!!

Most hunting involves trade-offs. I would rather have a rifle that will cleanly take an animal at my furthest range, and deal with the problems associated with close encounters than have a 45-70 and have the buck of a lifetime at 700 yards.

IMO, the Accubond is a pretty good compromise. Opens quickly yet retains more than 1/2 of its mass even at close range.

edge.

Edge

So, you think the Accubond IS the way to go, as far as whitetail?

What grain 180 or 200...even 220?

I mean...I know the larger grain the more energy @ M.O.I.

But do you think the 200gr. or larger would be TOO destructive @ 125 yards???

What I'm getting @ is that I CAN shoot LOOOONG distance shots...no problem.

But, it seems to me, that most of my shots on deer, even if I put myself in a long-range position......ALWAYS seem to come out like 100-300 yards away?

And I don't know why?

Would a .30-378 Wby be overkill for a whitetail @ a 100-300 yard shot distance???

If not...what grain, brand, type, etc....of bullet would yall recommend to turn a .30-378 into a good, medium-range, deer caliber???

Slayyer22, I know you were asking Edge this question, and he will answer you too I suspect, But I thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth anyway. Even though many people dont feel there is such a thing as overkill, in this case I certainly do feel the 30-378 is way more gun than you need. If your mind is made up that you want a 30 caliber gun, look at the venerable .308 or perhaps the new .30 TC. In the Icon package, they would be terrific whitetail medicine to way out there. The Accubond, the Scirroco, the Interbond, would all work well for you in any caliber for whitties. Good luck with your choice.

Thanks MT

I honestly don't know what it is about that caliber...but for some reason, I don't really know?

It's finally come down to these weapon/caliber setups:

1. Weatherby Accumark w/ AccuBrake .30-378 Wby. Mag.

2. Weatherby Accumark .257 Wby. (Muzzle-Brake???) What do you think?

3. Weatherby Accumark .280 Rem. (Muzzle-Brake???)

Opinions Please?

i shot a deer with a 300 rum with a 200gr accubond @ 3200ft at the muzzle and the deer was at 50 yards NOT A GOOD THING! i would say that 200 yards might be ok for a round that big

Edge

So, you think the Accubond IS the way to go, as far as whitetail?

What grain 180 or 200...even 220?

I mean...I know the larger grain the more energy @ M.O.I.

But do you think the 200gr. or larger would be TOO destructive @ 125 yards???

What I'm getting @ is that I CAN shoot LOOOONG distance shots...no problem.

But, it seems to me, that most of my shots on deer, even if I put myself in a long-range position......ALWAYS seem to come out like 100-300 yards away?

And I don't know why?

Would a .30-378 Wby be overkill for a whitetail @ a 100-300 yard shot distance???

If not...what grain, brand, type, etc....of bullet would yall recommend to turn a .30-378 into a good, medium-range, deer caliber???

That always seems to be the case, set up long and they come close!

IMO, the heavier bullet the better for close in shots!
Nosler has the E Bullet which looks like the Accubond but is all copper.

Overkill :) Dead is dead even if it is twice as dead!

IF, if you may have a buck show up at 700 or 1000 yards you need a rifle that can kill it. Which rifle that is is up to you. When the deer shows up at 100 yards then do your best to hit the heart and lungs. If you hit high shoulder or the legs you will have lost meat...but you will have your animal.

edge.

Edge,

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, as well.

The heavier load would probably be the better for the close-ups.

And yeah, that scenario always seems to happen, don't it? LOL

That's all I was really gettin' at, was would it still be okay to hunt with in the case of no other choice, but a close-up?

I prefer to shoot between 200-500...but, unfortunately, all of the places I have to hunt this year, there probably won't be anything over s 250-300...

So, that's why I was asking.

I have heard that the .257 Wby is a ****-good Whitey round...

If you had to pick between the .30-378 Wby. or the .257 Wby. for Alabama deer huntin' (in my hunting situation), which one of the 2 would you choose?

If the .257 Wby., would you have a M/B installed, or leave it with a button-rifled crown?

Ok 22, I see that your choice of guns is limited to Wby. That's ok, fine weapons, in fact, I have three. The 257 and the 280 certainly dont need brakes. The 30-378 would be a lot easier to shoot with one, but I'm not a fan of Wby's accubrake. Again, if it were me doing this, and I got the big 30, I would have a better aftermarket brake installed. A baffle style. If you were to shoot prone, the accubrake will spray you with whatever is on the ground under the muzzle. I am VERY fond of the 257. I have killed several elk with mine and so has my daughter. Handloaded with good bullets it is "chained lightning". The 110 grain Accubond is a really good bullet for it too. If you want to go waaaaaay loooooong, you will need to shoot a high BC 120 to 130 gr. bullet. Sometimes they are hard to stabilize with the factory twist, but usually you can do it. But again, be careful and do like Edge says, if they are close, shoot for the heart/lungs. The 257 could be just as bad as the 7mmSTW with the wrong bullet! If you want the smallest possibility of ruining meat, go with the 280, a great caliber! Capable of all you want and more. Again, good luck.

Thanks MT,

I guess I just mainly want a .30-378 just to say I have one!

And because there's a guy selling one on here, with max 75 rounds through it, with a hard case, full set of reloading dies, a bunch of brass, and bullets, and other stuff, for ONLY $1,225!!!

And he also only lives about 75 miles away from me!

And for me to get an Accumark in .257 I'd have to buy one from my local store, which will set me back about $1,670 + tax! + scope, sling, bullets, etc...

Does that .30-378 sound like a good deal?

He said the only reason he's selling it is because he recently had a cornea transplant and the bullet's pressure is too great to shoot, and hurts his eyes, and he's also recently hurt his back, and can't shoot a caliber that large anymore.

He seems sincere about the number of rounds that have been through it, and he said he purchased it new about 2.5 years ago, and only shot max 75 rounds through it.

Opinions?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.