Minimum yardage for .30-378 Wby. vs. Whitetail deer???

If that's the reason, more power to ya! It would be too much gun for me, but I'm a fat lazy old man. My .300 Wby is almost too much for me. I noticed that "Big Sky" had a custom .257 Wby for sale too. That would be an even better bargain! Just go with your gut, and whatever you decide, enjoy!!!!!

You will need get into reloading QUICK.

Barnes TSX bullets aren't going to ruin too much meat, but the BC is NOT spectacular.

Last edited:
I have a 300 win mag that I hunt out west with. Our shots are normally fairly long from 200 to 400 yards.
I hunt in Wisconsin every year for deer and bring my 300 along. I shoot 180 gr. accubonds at 3080 fps. The average shot back there is under 100 yards.
I shoot the behind the shoulder through the lungs shot. They usually run 50 yards or so. The biggest thing is placement. If you miss the lungs and hit the front shoulder plan on some serious hamburger damage. If you miss all bones except a rib or two the damage is not bad.
We shot two antelope this year, one with the 300 and one with a 270 win. You couldn't tell the difference.
Shot placement is key.
Good luck with you choice.

i shot a deer with a 300 rum with a 200gr accubond @ 3200ft at the muzzle and the deer was at 50 yards NOT A GOOD THING! i would say that 200 yards might be ok for a round that big

Why not?

High velocity+bonded bullet+in close well placed shot= deader than dirt and minimal meat damage in my experience. Slide it in behind the shoulder.

hi,
2 weeks ago, i got my deer buck with my 338edge, 300smk bullet at 90yards.
shot placement behind the shoulder, on lung cavity.
the blood splash was HUUUGE. but no meat damage.
entrance hole between 2 ribs, cut in half the heart, destroid the lungs, and exit with 1 rib the other side.
deer run 20yards, and was dead on the spot before starting to run.
always i shot to lung-heart, because of the minimal meat lost.

Good mornin' everyone!

It's opening day of bow-season here in Alabama & yours truly isn't getting to go...because of work. :(

Here's what I've gathered over the past 2 days:

Okay...I'm getting mixxed messages here?

Is it, or is it not okay to shoot an average-sized (175-200 lbs.) whitetail @ close range with a .30-378 Wby. if the situation arises?

I would prefer to take a long-shot, but from most of the responses on here, it sounds like taking a short-shot with a .30-378 @ a close range & not losing alot of meat would be a "long-shot"???

P.S. Sorry for the punn.

Then again, others are saying that if you lung-shot 'em, then the collateral-damage isn't anywhere near as bad, as if you shoot them in the shoulder.

Other than ammo costs...

Do you think a .30-378 Wby. would be a good whitetail deer round for shots ranging from 50-500 yards???

Yes it is a good round for 50-500. You just have to place your shot better to limit meat damage. Hell at the price at that Accumark buy it, kill somehtig with it and see what the damage is like. If its too much sell it for what you have into it and be done! Besides a poorly placed shot at any distancewill cause meat damage.

As for the 257 wby..I think that would be a great roundfor white tail. Its a laser beam and hits the deer like lightning. At 50yards it will tear up alot of meat aswell due to the velocity.

The problem with all the high velocity rounds is at short range they enter the game with too much velocity for the bullet to work reliably. If you keep that in mind and just place your round in the vitials you will be fine. It when we screw up and it exits through the offside shoulder we lose all the meat:mad:

300rum is right.
Basically you can shoot them with a huge gun and the damage will not be bad if the shot is placed correct.
My 6mm will do more damage with poorly placed shot than my 300 win mag will with a well placed shot.
Buy the big gun be be careful where you hit and you shouldn't have any issues.

Think archery for close shots!
Avoid bones and stay away from the spine.

Now, if a monster only presents a bad angle, then spook it away OR, accept that he will be mounted on your wall and you will have a few less pounds of steaks :)

edge.

Yeah, I could see where all of this is making plenty of sense.

I've been hunting my whole life, and YES...I also bow-hunt...so I know what you're talking about Edge.

I also agree 100%.

I guess for some wierd reason it just didn't click??? lightbulb

But, I just talked with one of my friends who owns a BIG gun shop about 75 miles away, and I buy alot of guns from him...and he quoted me a HELLA-good price on a NEW Weatherby Accumark .257 Wby.

He told me he could do it for $1,375.00 + tax!!!

Now, it's a close call for me...b/c I can get a used .30-378 for $1,225.00.....or a NEW .257 Wby. for $1,375.00!!!

PLUS...He said all he hunts with is a .30-378 Wby. for EVERY type of game!!!

He also said he's shot plenty of deer right in the shoulder @ 75-125 yards using his .30-378 loaded with 180gr. Accu-Bond..........and it doesn't ruin hardly any meat???

He's not one of those salesmen that will tell you one thing, just to make an extra buck...he's pretty "real" about what he tells folks...not just what they wanna hear......you know?

He also said that the .257 Wby. was one hell of a whitey round!

So, I'm SO confused as to which one to go with, now???

Ammo costs about HALF as much as the .30-378 ammo...plus it's just as accurate...and has almost the same capabilities...only with a smaller projectile.......right???

Right! And you can load it with varmint bullets and it becomes one of the most potent varmint rounds available. Will send groundhogs on real flights of fancy, or is that fancy flights. Anyway, you get the picture. Like I said before, I really do like my 257, it has NEVER let me down. It was also Roy Weatherby's favorite cartridge of all of his. Unless you have an over-riding need for the big 30, the 257 is the cat's meow!

If you aren't going for more than deer the 257 will be just as good of a choice and you can afford to shoot more without reloading.

Well, I was told by a local rich-man/outdoors store owner, who goes out NorthWest alot, and to Africa, etc... to go hunting...that he was drilling female Moose with his .257 Wby. shooting 110gr. AccuBond's @ like 450 Yards, and they were just dropping...with NO running!

I couldn't believe it! That tells me that b/c of the Muzzle-Energy that it has at close range, it doesn't lose much of it @ almost 500 yards!

That's pretty impressive "in my book"!!!

So, yall think I should probably go with a .257 Wby.???

If I go that route...then which round do I need to shoot? 110gr. AccuBond's, 115 gr. Barnes X-Triple-Shock, 115gr. BST ???

Last edited:
That's kinda like askin' which car you should drive...........a hummer of course!!
I shoot the 110 Accubond. I have found that I can high shoulder an elk or heart-lung an antelope with similar results. That bullet is not the best for varmints however. I shoot the AB at a touch over 3400 and it is chained-lightning. Get a 257 and dont look back. By the way, remember that you dont necessarily have to buy a Weatherby to get that caliber. Remington is offering a Mdl. 700 in 257 Wby Mag this year. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.