.257 Weatherby vs. Whitetail Deer

Just weighed it, without the strap. It weighs in at 10 pounds 5 ounces (no ammo, no bipod, no strap). It does have the plastic flip-up scope covers on both lenses though.

It was weighed on a digital postage scale.

That's as accurate a weight as I can give ya.

RH

I have a wby accumark in 257 and really notice it likes Flat base bullets with imr 7828

Try Rhino bullets from Salem , Oregon very good bonded bullet I suggest if Whitetails are on your menu suggest the Rhino or Barnes 100gr TSXgun)

Mine really digs the 110gr Accubond, so I'm gonna stick with those for now. But I have been curious how hard those Barnes 100gr TSX's hit....

I have shot three mule deer with the 100 gr TSX's and it has put every deer down without a step. I am using a 25-06 though. Each shot has been from 300 to 340 yards. It doesnt open up as much as I thought that it would. The last deer that I shot with it didn't even know what happened to it (I think). I could see the dust fly up on the other side letting me know that it was a complete pass through. The deer just looked up and bent its head down to the ground like it was going to take another bite of grass. Blood started pouring out of its nose and mouth and it just face planted into the ground. When I got to it, the exit wound was not very big and there was a small hole going through both lungs. The lungs were not turned to mush like you would see with other bullets. I dont know what the deal was but it put the deer down. I wanted to stretch my 25-06 out to 500 to 600 yards and still feel comfortable with it taking the game cleanly so I am going to try the 115 gr berger this year and see how it does on game. If it doesn't perform, I may try the 110 accubond.

MudRunner, my MKV pushes the 100tsx at just about 3800. It absolutely flattens deer sized game. Barnes recommends a minimum 1800fps for the tsx to obtain expansion. That gives you plenty of distance for the quarter bore. My MKV likes RL22 with the flat base barnes, however.

Hey Jim,

Good to see you in here, too!

Oh trust me...I'm getting an Accumark .257 Wby. That's final!!!

I was basically throwing out that ballistics info. for comparison purposes only.

I am planning on using the factory Weatherby loads with the 110gr. AccuBonds.........for now.

I don't reload...however, I wish I did...but I just haven't prioritized my money properly enough to purchase a reloading setup.

However, I think I might treat myself to one this year for Christmas!!! Hahaha!!!

Then I can start experimenting with my 7mmSTW!!!

That's gonna be fun!!!

I was just saying that don't you think for 0-300 yard shots that a .257 Wby. with a 140gr. Barnes TSX would be one BADD mama-jama!!!!

Hey Jim & Steve...@ what distances do the heavier grain bullets get "flimsy" traveling through a factory barrel?
At the price of factory Weatherby Ammunition you can afford a first class basic reloading set up in a hurry.

The .257 W is not a caliber I'd pick but it'll certainly kill the hell out of deer.

Many moons ago I shot a Ruger #1 in 25-06. I shot the hornady interlock #2552 and loaded it as fast as it would run. Been far too long ago to remember the recipe but I killed a couple of dozen nice deer with it, 2 very nice antelope, literally dozens and dozens of coyotes and the first three hogs I ever shot.

Always found that bullet to perform exceptionally well out to at least 600yds.

I've got a decent 25-06 that has been my go-to rifle for deer but I've always liked the idea of a .257 Weatherby. Admittedly, I've never had a chance to shoot a .257 Weatherby. Would I gain enough by upgrading to the .257 Weatherby to justify the expense?

IF (big if) I upgrade to a .257 Weatherby, is the stainless barreled ULW the way to go or should I go up to the Accumark?

I have owned both the 25-06 and 257wby. The reason I got rid of the 25-06 was to move up to a magnum. I'm very happy with the 257 Wby's performance, but must admit that it was a substantial investment for a few hundred feet per second increase. I purchased a pair of MKV's (300 and 257) over 20yrs ago when factory gun and brass prices were a "little" more reasonable. With that said, I'm not so sure I would do the same today.

I have owned both the 25-06 and 257wby. The reason I got rid of the 25-06 was to move up to a magnum. I'm very happy with the 257 Wby's performance, but must admit that it was a substantial investment for a few hundred feet per second increase. I purchased a pair of MKV's (300 and 257) over 20yrs ago when factory gun and brass prices were a "little" more reasonable. With that said, I'm not so sure I would do the same today.

Thanks. Any thought as to the Accumark versus the ultralight which looks like a slimmed-down version of the Accumark?

Bump after quite a while.

Done lots of different stuff, and some load development for my .257 Wby since this thread started. Been a little while. :rolleyes:

So, got some nice new loads to try, since I have been reloading using 110gr Accubonds and different powder combos.

My most recent one to try is the Berger 115gr HVLD backed by 70.0gr of H1000....Oughtta be pretty nasty. Should be going a little slower than factory loads (around 3,300 fps), so it should be a little better whomp when it hits the whities.

Here's a pic comparing my SAAMI spec loaded 110 Accubonds, and the 115 HVLD's.

CC9EFBD5-E92A-4B4E-81EF-B201BFD36E40-7874-000008062D0BF9E3_zpsb3123368.jpg

Here's just the 115 HVLD:

9C765CA8-F39B-4A91-8F73-CF336D518249-7874-0000080628AA8217_zpsb0a8ee87.jpg

I cant say about accumark but i can tell u about ultralight FOR SURE. I own a few and let me tell u the 257 WTBY on whitetails is devistating. I started with 25-06 as i am a huge 25 cal fan all around. I did not go for the heavy bullets i only shoot 100 grainers out of mine and I have never shot a deer that moved out of its tracks the 257 WTBYgoes bang and there is a dead deer. I have never taken a whitetail much over 450yds but i am telling u it is like lightining strikes the deer. I have shot antelope coyote rock chucks and a spike elk with the 257 WTBYand never shot any of them more then once. The elk took two total steps fell over....

Let me know how ur loads turn out on the whitetails i think u will be smiling ear to ear......

Yeah, the 110gr Accubonds have been excellent over the last 5 seasons on deer. This year, I'm gonna hammer some with the VLD's to see how great they work.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.