Minimum yardage for .30-378 Wby. vs. Whitetail deer???

Oh, I know Rem. is offering the 700 in .257 Wby....but I just don't like Remington's wood or laminate stocks.

I don't know why?

I've always loved synthetic stock'd guns.

Especially the webbed-look stocks.

I had a custom built H.S. Precision stock built with an aluminum bed-block for my .308 Sniper Rifle.

That was one BAAAD gun!

Rem. Model-7 action, M-24 barrel (5-R Mil.Spec), H.S. stock, Nikon Tactical Elite 2.5-10x44 w/ dual-colored illum. Mil-Dot reticle, Jewel 2-Stage trigger, Harris Bi-Pod, Shooting Hornady TAP (red box - L.E. ammo) 168gr. JHP's.

That was a tack-driver!!!

Then some jack-*** broke in about 2 months ago & stole it!!!

Along with 3 other guns, my ENTIRE bow-hunting setup....including my Block 4x4 bow target (about $150 by itself!!!).

This deer was shot with my 300RUM at 40yards with a 180gr. Scirrocco.I was watching ridges figureing on a longer shot and out he pops.He's now above my fireplace.As long as your useing a good bullet and hit em right you be ok.Thats the exit,nothing but splatter,and took about 2 steps.
12-26-038-pointwithUltraMag.jpg

That's a nice one VSSF!

I have a Rem. 700 Sendero-SF just like that...only mine's in 7mm-STW.

Yeah, I guess shot-placement is pretty key.

I used to just shoot dead in the shoulder when I had my Browning A-Bolt 7mm Rem. Mag. w/ BOSS...but, that got stolen, so I'm having to start over again :(

It sucks!

However, I think I'm starting to lean towards the .257 Wby...and I don't know why?

I guess 'cause ammo's cheaper...and I don't own a reloading setup.......yet!!!

I would like to have a .30-378...but for right now, the ammo costs rediculous amounts of money!!!

Plus, I still have to buy the rifle, ammo, scope, sling, bi-pod, hard-case, and everything!!! Not to mention, sight it in, and get used to it!

Because like I said before, somebody broke in and stole almost all of my hunting rifles.

Oh I know...that 7mmSTW just destroyed one a few years ago, and I haven't hunted with it since.

It needs a better scope on it...but besides that, it is one blistering round!

Do you think it is better for whities than a .257 or .30-378???

I still think the .257 Wby. would probably be my best bet for not ruining meat...don't you?

A Bonded Bullet and a good shot are your best bets. As far as Weatherbys,I'm partial to Remingtons.The Weatherbys headspace off of the belt,supposedly headspaceing off of the shoulder is more accurate. (probably opened a can of worms)

i am not sure where you are. the coues whitetail here are very small. the deer in sask are big and there are some in between. for deer i would get the 257. it would not be in time for the season this year but i would do is rebarrel a sendero with a mag bolt face or rechamber a 25-06 and open the bolt face. i don't know of any rifle that headspace on the belt. i think the weatherby accumark 257 is a good choice and you would have it now.

I've been killing many deer recently with Lazzeroni Warbirds using 1 of 2 loads using Barnes TSX bullets: 130 gr TSX @ 4000 FPS and 150 gr TSX @ 3750 FPS. Both Barnes X bullets pass very neatly through deer, 1 bullet through the shoulder and out in front of the rear leg with little damage. In fact, I have heard many complaints from other hunters that these bullets do not open up enough, so little damage resulted. Once, while killing does for a sheep farmer due to crop damage, I killed a doe with a regular 180 gr soft point and it looked like she was killed with a hand grenade. My opinion after 8 hunting seasons and about 18 deer is that the speed of your bullet requires Barnes X bullets which will (and has) stood up to super high velocity. I'd be afraid of an Accubond at the speeds I shoot my rifles.

257W, 7mmSTW, or 30-378, up close it's all the same.

Bullet choice and placement will all be more important.

But if you are just hunting deer, I'd get the 257. You don't need a brake
and it's as good a deer killer as there is out to 500yds. Beyond that
the larger calbers have better bullets.

Sounds to me though that this decision is more about what
you want than what you need. The 7mmSTW is as good
a deer killer as anything made. So you destroyed one deer.
Learn and move on. It is as good as any of Weatherby's
rounds for deer.

I've had two clients hunt deer with a 30-378 and there was meat damage on both. The problem wasn't the caliber but the fact that neither guy could shoot worth a s**t. I was happy they were actually able to hit a deer. It may not be the case here but a big rifle needs to be shot and it's not just recoil that will get you, muzzle blast causes just as much grief. If you were hunting with me I would unquestionably tell you to bring the 257 regardless of all the ballistic info. that's out there.

If I do too much damage I'll just shoot more deer. I'm not interested tracking deer though 100 yrds of super thick briars and swamp.

If I do too much damage I'll just shoot more deer. I'm not interested tracking deer though 100 yrds of super thick briars and swamp.
Yeah, I've been there...however, when I say my 7mmSTW destroyed one...I mean it ODESSIMATED it!!!

I shot direct shoulder-shot @ abou 125 yards...penetrated beautifully.........exited....along with the ENTIRE right shoulder & leg!!!

It was hanging on by the skin!

I think I could have made a "cleaner" kill with a Panzer!!!

It not only blew a shoulder, but the bullet-shock split him from brisket to belly!!!

I've seen purtier exit-wounds from a .50 BMG!!!

Any idea why this particular shot, just happened to be such a nasty one???

Any Ideas???

Opinions please???

I am far from an expert but I do know a few things. At least I think I do.;)

A bullet that hits bone early during its penetration and mushrooms well can create a huge hole as it spreads out its energy. Just the converse is true. Some bullets can slip between ribs hitting nothing firmer than the heart and not leave much of a blood trail.

For instance take a Sirocco I shot from my 7mm last year. Shot a deer head on. Bullet went in between the shoulder and ribs, traveled through two feet of heart,lungs and unfortunaly colon. Pee-yew like my daughter says. Anyway. The exit hole was not much of anything. Never found a drop of blood and the deer ran 75 yards.

Sirocco's are pretty darn tough(bonded ammo) and it penetrated well but most entrails are made of water so when you shoot a deer like I did you can count on energy dispersion. This is good b.c it completely jellified the insides.

STW is a cannon and I bet the entire 3100 footpounds or whatever energy is was unloading got dumped on the destroyed leg.

What did the entrance wound look like?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.