30-378 dilemma

I went through two barrels and was going to install my third and the logical choice to make the 30-378 barrels last longer was to increase the caliber size. The 338-378 is the best choice. The person I sold it to took my advice and made it a 338.

As to hunting with the 30-378 I used 210 BT's gr. They cause blow throughs even on big elk. For target shooting I always used 220 and 240 VLD. Because of barrel life you have to just perfect a couple of bullet weights. Retumbo for 210's and US869 for the heavies.

I had the 28 inch barrels and two inch brake

When I first bought the stock Wby it was terrible but with Lilja barrel, custom trigger and bedded stock would shoot under 1 Moa and group 6" at 1000yds. Used 240 gr SMK for targets and Tsx for game. Taken wildebeest, zebra, impala etc all DRT. Never budged. Also taken on elk hunts but now with some 500 rounds with 94gr Retumbo not quite as accurate. Great setup but would probably go to .338 on next barrel. Other than 6mmBr and .375 AM one of the most accurate rifles I have.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.