30-378 dilemma

PEEWEE69

It's been awhile since I've posted and been on here. With my daughter being a premy she's taken up most of my time but all is good with her now . So back to hobbies hunting and shooting
OK awhile back I posted about building a 30-378 thought that's what I wanted for a long range hunting rifle . Since I had time I did more research into the 30-378 and it got me to thinking if for say I'm set up for 500 plus yrds and target animal comes out at say 150 or less at the velocity the bullet will be traveling at that distance I'm afraid of 1 lack of expansion 2 grenading lack of penetration
So my question is is there a bullet I could use as a happy medium or different caliber all together
Oh the build will be a stiller predator action krieger barrel 26" # 5 fluted some forms of brake (undecided on brand) jewel trigger also undecided on stock badger ordnance rings and bases with a vortex scope thanks for any input and help

The Weatherby is a cool cartridge. I think you'd have a lot of fun shooting it and it's hard to beat for long range hunting. I would shoot Accubonds or some other controlled expansion bullet for most hunting situations. If you launch those 200 grain accubonds at 3200 fps it's not much different than what a 270 is doing with an accubond as far as velocity goes. That bullet will hold up well enough to put critters down. Bergers have better BCs than the bonded or all-copper bullets but I would steer away from using them at close range. I know some people carry 2 loads for hunting - one for close to medium range and another for long range.

It's been awhile since I've posted and been on here. With my daughter being a premy she's taken up most of my time but all is good with her now . So back to hobbies hunting and shooting
OK awhile back I posted about building a 30-378 thought that's what I wanted for a long range hunting rifle . Since I had time I did more research into the 30-378 and it got me to thinking if for say I'm set up for 500 plus yrds and target animal comes out at say 150 or less at the velocity the bullet will be traveling at that distance I'm afraid of 1 lack of expansion 2 grenading lack of penetration
So my question is is there a bullet I could use as a happy medium or different caliber all together
Oh the build will be a stiller predator action krieger barrel 26" # 5 fluted some forms of brake (undecided on brand) jewel trigger also undecided on stock badger ordnance rings and bases with a vortex scope thanks for any input and help
There are no magic bullets that perform perfectly at all velocities.

The closest I've found are the Hornady Interbond, Nosler Accubond and Swift SciroccoII. Up close I punch the lungs/heart, beyond 400yds I shoot for the shoulders/spine.

Nothing runs far with a 2" Hole through the shoulders/spine. Nothing runs far with the heart and lungs turn to jello.

With a case of that size you're cheating yourself out of a good bit of performance by not going to a 28" or longer barrel.

I have one and it is a literal blast too shoot. I've been shooting out to 500 all last summer with 185 VLD's. But since all of my guns are hunting guns, and this one was still a virgin, I had to try it out on game. Using the same load, I shot one deer at 100 yards. DRT. I then shot another one at 300. DRT. I did lose a shoulder on each one, but I have never worried about meat loss. I would rather have a quick DRT anytime and worry about tissue damage afterwards. I would not hesitate to shoot VLD's, even NBT's at deer at 100 yards or even less. With the 30-378, I just don't think they could stand it. They just blow up. :D

I hunted with a 30-378 for five years.....my son and I took all kinds of game from 150 to 650 yds using the Barnes 180 TTSX bullets and later the 200 LRX. Most shots were real world averages of 300-450 yds and every animal was DRT..... I even let a couple clients borrow it for use on elk.

I think that rifle took something like 12 elk, 5 mule deer, 3 coues, 3 Barbary sheep, 2 antelope and 4 Oryx......plus 2 coyotes with one shot! That was a good story.

You would be hard pressed to find a better hunting rifle, but you better make sure you carry good ear muffs!!!!

I hate the .30-06 Sprg. as well.... However, my .30-06 AI 40* Shoulder is one nasty beast with Berger 185 VLD's and 7828 SSC...

I just hate mine as well! Can't get the **** thing to do much better than this at 1000 yds. Shot to left is my sighter; whole group 6 1/2" for remainder of 11 shots fired! With the powders we have today going the AI route IMO is a waste of time!:rolleyes:

Beanland 30/06 by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

30-06??? How boring!!! I bet you like Vanilla ice cream as well.

P

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.