Action dilemma

Curious why not a long action cartridge then? Or, if so, which?

I'm not hell bent on the 6.5 PRC. Just looking for a compact, suppressed setup with some attitude. If a short action cartridge cannot be optimized in the action, would a long action cartridge make more sense?

Curious why not a long action cartridge then? Or, if so, which?
That is precisely what @Quintus is recommending: go with LA. You have plenty of choices regarding which one, but it boils down to your budget and your preferences. Since you have an eye on the Anti-X already, go LA instead of SA.
I'm not hell bent on the 6.5 PRC. Just looking for a compact, suppressed setup with some attitude. If a short action cartridge cannot be optimized in the action, would a long action cartridge make more sense?
I do not think anyone is saying you cannot optimize a 6.5 PRC in SA, but as @Quintus noted, the LA will give more flexibility in your COAL requirement and future endeavors. Good luck!

You could use a Bat Vesper short action with their bottom metal and magazine set up and get 3.150 inside the magazine box. I've built quite a few 6.5 prc's on medium length actions for the extra length required to seat the 156gr Berger's above the neck shoulder junction. I think the neck one I build I'm going to go with the short action Vesper. They are also in stock right now at Unknown Munitions along with the bottom metal and magazines.

You could use a Bat Vesper short action with their bottom metal and magazine set up and get 3.150 inside the magazine box. I've built quite a few 6.5 prc's on medium length actions for the extra length required to seat the 156gr Berger's above the neck shoulder junction. I think the neck one I build I'm going to go with the short action Vesper. They are also in stock right now at Unknown Munitions along with the bottom metal and magazines.
I'll check it out. Based on the prior feedback I was going to bite the timeline bullet and order the XM, but I'll look into this as well. I've got a couple good long action guns, so this will be a good gun to focus on SA cartridges.

Now that everyone has talked me into the longer action length, I am reconsidering going saum instead of prc!

If your goal is really to kill small-medium game to 800 yards with a handy rifle your plan is a good one. I built similar rifle to yours. I wanted a suppressed hunting rifle that was shorter than my old long action magnum 26"barrel+brake. I got 147 eld-m's going 2850 in a short action 22" barrel. Wish it was a little faster, but still accomplishes my goal. Can you squeeze a little more out of a 6.5 prc on a medium or long action? Certainly! Longer barrel will give you velocity too. If you want to explore the outer bounds of what you can do with a 6.5, you could build a 26 nosler launching Berger 156's out of a 30" barrel as well 🤣. Sounds like you already have 7's and 30's for that.

Cheers. 🍻

If your goal is really to kill small-medium game to 800 yards with a handy rifle your plan is a good one. I built similar rifle to yours. I wanted a suppressed hunting rifle that was shorter than my old long action magnum 26"barrel+brake. I got 147 eld-m's going 2850 in a short action 22" barrel. Wish it was a little faster, but still accomplishes my goal. Can you squeeze a little more out of a 6.5 prc on a medium or long action? Certainly! Longer barrel will give you velocity too. If you want to explore the outer bounds of what you can do with a 6.5, you could build a 26 nosler launching Berger 156's out of a 30" barrel as well 🤣. Sounds like you already have 7's and 30's for that.

Cheers. 🍻
Agreed! I think you summed it up well.

My original concern was how limiting the SA would be on load development. I think what I've gotten from the discussion is that the SA would be fine, but a longer action (medium or long) would provide more long term flexibility with little or no downside (other than a longer wait!).

Given the long action guns already owned, I think the medium action would be the right spot for this one to land. After its first barrel, it could become a saum, WSM, or another short action cartridge, with less limitations on bullets and cartridge development.

I am new to reloading but am having a blast developing loads. It's very addicting but a perfect hobby now that my kids are grown and I have more time on my hands. I know that through experience a lot of these questions will become more obvious, so I appreciate everyone's patience and sharing of their experience and expertise!

Cheers brother.

I specifically bought a 6.5 PRC in a long action for my younger son when I bought his first rifle. It gives me more ability to adjust loads, and down the line it doesn't limit him to SA calibers on a rebarrel.

Personally if you already have 7mm and larger I would look at a 25 PRC or 6mm Creedmoor for deer and smaller game.

I bought him the 6.5PRC for the ability to be a do all from elk at reasonable ranges and down without big recoil.

His rifle is a Sauer 100 with 22" barrel that I is threaded so he can us a brake and can.