Re-barrel dilemma

6.5 PRC is what I am going with. I load but if I go out off hunting or out of state hunting. And my ammunition gets lost or don't make it . I want a caliber I can buy over the counter. Good luck
With your long action you can set up your throat to handle the longer 6.5 bullets. You'll appreciate the ease of loading and quickly finding an accurate recipe, plus a lot less powder, less recoil, cheaper brass, a lighter rifle, and still maintain great performance on game at extended ranges.

Just build it as 26 Nosler, you like the gun barrels are "usable" commodity just the price to pay for getting the accuracy and use out of the rifle. Plus, you already said it's sentimental to you, just have a good smith spin another barrel up for you and don't look back... if your happy thats all that matters I've changed calibers and not been happy with the change. Dont over think it.
If you reload you can download the 26 to save barrel life. Zero and plink with the downloads then shoot a group with your hunting or factory load write the adjustment on a piece of paper and tape it to your butt stock. I keep a log on each of my rifles as to where each lot shoots. I don't change my zero, I just look the load I want to shoot up and see where to hold. For the ranges I shoot this works fine for me.

The 26 Nosler and 375 H&H are my two main "big game" hunting cartridges. The 375 is mainly DG and the 26 Nosler gets used for most everything else. The 26 Nosler has been very accurate, very comfortable to shoot with no muzzle break and very effective across a wide range of game.

Barrels are a consumable -- get another 26 Nosler barrel. It's an excellent hunting round. Even though its barrel life is short, that's still a lot of hunting.

Last weekend, a friend and I hunted for management/meat whitetail bucks. I took 3 deer with 3 shots -- all immediate, clean and humane dispatches around 200 yards. Here is an image of the damage from the inside shoulder on one of the deer. This is the side of the animal where the bullet entered. None of the shots were pass throughs.

View attachment 234698

View attachment 234703
He looks a little thirsty with his tongue hanging out like that. Maybe with a little water, you can revive him.

Howdy Folks,

I'm looking for a little input on which direction to go. I have a Nosler M48 Liberty chambered in 26 Nosler. I have it in a McMillan game hunter stock. I am sentimentally attached to the rifle for several reasons so a new gun isn't an option. I would like to rebarrel it with a proof carbon fiber sendero lite at around 22 inches. The trouble I'm having is which cartridge to go with. The 26 slams mulies and does horrible things to pronghorn. I like it as a hunting cartridge, and now days with things crazy it's one of the only things on the shelf consistantly. My concern is I don't want another rebarrel in the near future. Once I work up a good load and get good dope on the rifle out to 1200 yards the throat is going to be half gone again. I'm thinking something like the 6.5 PRC, 7mm WSM or SAUM. I do have some brass and dies for the SAUM already, but I'm not opposed to buying more ammo or dies. I also have several boxes of 26 Nosler still. Should I just go with the Nosler again or should I go one of my other choices? I'm spinning my tires at this point. No the 7mm Rem mag is not an option. I don't want any belted cartridges. Not looking for anything bigger either as I have a full custom 300 PRC. What do you folks think?

Thanks
SShultz
FWIW I've been a fan of the .280 Remington. Does everything I need it to do.

This may have already been mentioned but reloading adds lot's of
versatility to large cartdridges. Real life example is my 300 Weatherby
My normal long range big load runs 175otm at 3000 and my light load is 125bt using IMR4198 at 2900 also. The 125BT is like shooting a 308Win and still handles our small Texas whitetail and pigs. It really impresses people when they try the 125BT. They always comment the 300WBY isn't as bad as people say. I have to reply it isn't loaded down correctly.

But a new rifle is GOOD too!

I have not been a "fan" of the 6.5CM because everyone jumped on the wagon when it came out. I'm glad I waited until this year to buy a very cheap 6.5CM. (Savage Axis) I used it on white tail this year just to see if it's all that everyone say it is. Now this will be my go to caliber for deer. I'm just glad I wait until we got decent bullets that expanded and do the job.

I hate to say this, but everyone that had one before you was a "fan"? Perhaps, more intelligent? You sound like a complete ***** with one statement. New bullets? All the PRS guys switched to 6mm at least a year ago. So I have no clue what your talking about. Now your a fan boy? Really slow aren't ya?

I keep going through this and I keep building 243's. I can use these rifles for everything from prairie dogs to big deer, elk if I have to, but I have a couple of 300 Win Mags for Elk, Moose and Bear. But I could shoot anything in NA with a 243 with an 85 gr Nosler partition, well, maybe not at 500 yards, but...... Oh yeah, this is a long range hunting site. 300 Win Mag then. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.