Re-barrel dilemma

Howdy Folks,

I'm looking for a little input on which direction to go. I have a Nosler M48 Liberty chambered in 26 Nosler. I have it in a McMillan game hunter stock. I am sentimentally attached to the rifle for several reasons so a new gun isn't an option. I would like to rebarrel it with a proof carbon fiber sendero lite at around 22 inches. The trouble I'm having is which cartridge to go with. The 26 slams mulies and does horrible things to pronghorn. I like it as a hunting cartridge, and now days with things crazy it's one of the only things on the shelf consistantly. My concern is I don't want another rebarrel in the near future. Once I work up a good load and get good dope on the rifle out to 1200 yards the throat is going to be half gone again. I'm thinking something like the 6.5 PRC, 7mm WSM or SAUM. I do have some brass and dies for the SAUM already, but I'm not opposed to buying more ammo or dies. I also have several boxes of 26 Nosler still. Should I just go with the Nosler again or should I go one of my other choices? I'm spinning my tires at this point. No the 7mm Rem mag is not an option. I don't want any belted cartridges. Not looking for anything bigger either as I have a full custom 300 PRC. What do you folks think?

Thanks
SShultz
I am considering.280 ackley

You are right sir. We lose sight of the whole situation sometimes. My apologies. Ya could get a new bolt! It has to be headspace anyway if you putting on a new barrel

Again because I have a magnum bolt face.
L 😇L!

Bang your head.gif

I don't think you're going to get away with never rebarreling again. If you shot out a 26 nosler I'm going to assume you shot between 750-900 rounds from it. Heck even on the low side saying 650. None of the options you gave will be enough of a barrel life improvement to last you the rest of your life. They'll last a lot longer than the king of barrel burning, but they'll maybe last 6-10 years instead of 3-5, assuming you shoot it the same amount as you did the nosler.

7wsm is hard to find, 270wsm is easy to find. The downside to the 270 used to be there's no good bullets suited to a magnum .277 caliber, but that's not the case anymore thanks to nosler making new long heavies for their 27 nosler.

I'd go 270wsm or 7wsm, but currently I'd prefer the 270.

Howdy Folks,

I'm looking for a little input on which direction to go. I have a Nosler M48 Liberty chambered in 26 Nosler. I have it in a McMillan game hunter stock. I am sentimentally attached to the rifle for several reasons so a new gun isn't an option. I would like to rebarrel it with a proof carbon fiber sendero lite at around 22 inches. The trouble I'm having is which cartridge to go with. The 26 slams mulies and does horrible things to pronghorn. I like it as a hunting cartridge, and now days with things crazy it's one of the only things on the shelf consistantly. My concern is I don't want another rebarrel in the near future. Once I work up a good load and get good dope on the rifle out to 1200 yards the throat is going to be half gone again. I'm thinking something like the 6.5 PRC, 7mm WSM or SAUM. I do have some brass and dies for the SAUM already, but I'm not opposed to buying more ammo or dies. I also have several boxes of 26 Nosler still. Should I just go with the Nosler again or should I go one of my other choices? I'm spinning my tires at this point. No the 7mm Rem mag is not an option. I don't want any belted cartridges. Not looking for anything bigger either as I have a full custom 300 PRC. What do you folks think?

Thanks
SSG
Howdy Folks,

Thanks
SShultz
Given the parameters you've outlined, I think the logical and best choice would be the 7mm SAUM; you can't go wrong with it. I don't like the extremely short neck on the 7mm WSM, and the 6.5x300 Weatherby will eat barrels like I eat pizzas. The 6.5 PRC would be my second choice but I'm partial to the plethora of great bullets available in 7mm caliber. If it was me, a 1:9 twist would be the slowest I'd consider since some of the great long range, high B.C. 7mm hunting bullets recommend a 1:8.5 twist anyway; so don't skimp on twist rate. Same goes for the 6.5 PRC Good luck

Again because I have a magnum bolt face.

If only you had a magnum bolt face think of the opportunities....:)

On a more serious note, I've shot the big 7's for eon's, mainly the 7 Mashburn Super. Which is basically a belted 28 Noz that got it's start back in the 50's and 60's I'd guess.

I like the Big 7's, but I think you had a 300 PRC, so in all honesty I'd give the 6.5 PRC a serious look see. I think that's a darn good round, basically a short action 6.5/06. While I was at it, I'd probably order a second barrel at the same time as I think the rounds going to be a crap load fun to shoot

I like the Big 7's, but I think you had a 300 PRC, so in all honesty I'd give the 6.5 PRC a serious look see. I think that's a darn good round, basically a short action 6.5/06. While I was at it, I'd probably order a second barrel at the same time as I think the rounds going to be a crap load fun to shoot
You nailed it. I've shot over 1900 rounds of 6.5 PRC so far this year. Such a pleasant round to shoot for how capable it is.

What about the 27 or 28 Nosler? I don't see 6.5 PRC advantageous over 6.5 Nosler.
Although I did build a 6.5 Remington magnum on a 40x action I had with a magnum bolt face.

Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.