New Guy Dilemma

Caliber Choice

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • 7-08

Votes: 7 14.6%

Votes: 28 58.3%

• Total voters
for picking a rifle is more important than picking the cartridge. the difference between a 25-06, 270 , 280 , 30-06 is small. i would ask first- do i want i stainless/synthetic, wood/blue; varmint or sporter or light weight.

CB- if you do not reload ; would not choose 260 an 7mm -08 . even with the 308, long range is going to get expensive.

I'd replace the 260 option w/ a 6.5creedmoor bc the CM is a true SA cartridge . Since you have a 30-06 at your dispose I would run a factory savage 6.5cm with factory ammo. Guys are getting 0.5" groups and smaller. I do believe that will be my next toy.

I'd replace the 260 option w/ a 6.5creedmoor bc the CM is a true SA cartridge . Since you have a 30-06 at your dispose I would run a factory savage 6.5cm with factory ammo. Guys are getting 0.5" groups and smaller. I do believe that will be my next toy.
The 260 is a necked down .308. That's as "true of a short action caliber" as has ever existed. The .308 is undoubtedly the best selling SA caliber of all time in the US next to the .223/5.56.

The 260 is a necked down .308. That's as "true of a short action caliber" as has ever existed. The .308 is undoubtedly the best selling SA caliber of all time in the US next to the .223/5.56.

Where is the like button!!

Where is the like button!!
Comparison of 6.5 cases.

6.5_Carts.jpg

Article on the popular 6.5's.

TC Encore Custom Accuracy Barrels - Premium Grade Barrels for the Thompson Center Encore

Again thanks for all the responses.

Stopped at my local Cabela's this evening and due to the fact that neither rifles I was hoping to look at are available started looking around.

Any advise on a Sako A7 Long Range? Seems to be a Cabela's exclusive. Felt and looked great. Its chambered in the great 7rem.

Again thanks for all the responses.

Stopped at my local Cabela's this evening and due to the fact that neither rifles I was hoping to look at are available started looking around.

Any advise on a Sako A7 Long Range? Seems to be a Cabela's exclusive. Felt and looked great. Its chambered in the great 7rem.

The Sako A7 is called to be a hybrid of the Tikka T3. Good reviews over here and the 7RM will be a great choice for your kind of hunting/shooting. Much better than the cartridges enlisted, IMO.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.