30-338 WM or 300 WM? Which would you choose?

Rog

If you can find some new cases, you might want to give some consideration to a 308 Norma Magnum.

IEdd,

I've looked at the 308 Norma Mag. It's basically the same round as the 30-338 but slightly longer than the 30-338.

Only brass I've seen locally is some used brass. Haven't checked on reloading dies for the 308 Norma Mag, but RCBS has the 30-338 WM dies and I can get them readily.

I actually prefer the 30-338 over the other two (300WM, 308NM) for personal reasons that really have nothing to do with the performance of either round.

One reason for the 30-338 is it has the smallest case capacity of the three. And since I may be doing this one in a short barrel (16.5") for my single shot handgun, I think it would be better suited for that application.

Another option is to rebarrel my Abolt, but don't really want to do that since it shoots pretty good as it is. If I were to rebarrel this to 30-338, the existing Browning 7RM magazine would work nicely since there is a shoulder in the magazine that corresponds to the shoulder of the 7RM/30-338 case. Simple and easy with no magazine modifications or other magazine needed.

Gonna take a couple more days to decide before I ship out the blank I got from you, Edd.

Regards
Rog

Last edited:
IEdd,

I've looked at the 308 Norma Mag. It's basically the same round as the 30-338 but slightly longer than the 30-338.

Only brass I've seen locally is some used brass. Haven't checked on reloading dies for the 308 Norma Mag, but RCBS has the 30-338 WM dies and I can get them readily.

I actually prefer the 30-338 over the other two (300WM, 308NM) for personal reasons that really have nothing to do with the performance of either round.

One reason for the 30-338 is it has the smallest case capacity of the three. And since I may be doing this one in a short barrel (16.5") for my single shot handgun, I think it would be better suited for that application.

Another option is to rebarrel my Abolt, but don't really want to do that since it shoots pretty good as it is. If I were to rebarrel this to 30-338, the existing Browning 7RM magazine would work nicely since there is a shoulder in the magazine that corresponds to the shoulder of the 7RM/30-338 case. Simple and easy with no magazine modifications or other magazine needed.

Gonna take a couple more days to decide before I ship out the blank I got from you, Edd.

Regards
Rog

you can get new cases from Norma, and the dies are standard with most of the better companys. The longer neck is superior, and the Norma case seems to handle heavier and longer bullets better than the Win mag
gary

you can get new cases from Norma, and the dies are standard with most of the better companys. The longer neck is superior, and the Norma case seems to handle heavier and longer bullets better than the Win mag
gary

Got a question how do you rate the Norma 300 mag brass? I'm not looking for a debate just honest answer. thanks

I take it that you've answered your own question then. lightbulb

Feenix, I probably have. :)

If I do a long gun (rifle), I'm most likely gonna do the 30-338, although the 300 WM runs a close second.

If I do a 16.5" bbl for my single shot handgun, it'll likely be the 30-338 as well.

For some reason, and its not logical, I'm simply not enamored with the 308 Norma Mag, even though the 3 rounds are virtually peas in a pod.

Regards
Rog

I doubt the accuracy difference will be noticeable to the average long range shooter/ hunter. But the velocity using the larger bullet offerings might. My first group at 1007 yards with my 300 win using the new 215 Berger hybrid was under 4". The first 100 yard group with them during load work up was a 3 shots into one ragged hole. I have since taken antelope at 805, 1005 and another at 1285 yards all one shot kills. Also busted a rock cold bore one shot at 1465 yards. I may be a little biased but for me to believe the 300 win gives up any long range accuracy I will have to go out and we will shoot together.

Jeff

If you don't mind my asking sir, what load were you using to pop that big Berger out over that beautiful Montana landscape?

Thanks, Doc

Got a question how do you rate the Norma 300 mag brass? I'm not looking for a debate just honest answer. thanks

I have always rated Norma brass at or near top of the brass maker's list. Down side is that they are a little proud of it! Pockets are machined with drilled flash holes. Most all calibers I've used that are from Norma seem to be very well done. I've heard some folks say it's a little soft, but you can't prove that by me. I've used lots of it without a hitch. All Weatherby mag factory brass is from Norma, and I think Norma still manufactures all their factory loadings. The last two lots of Norma brass that I bought were small caliber stuff (.222 N.M. and .223) and the stuff was extremely uniform. You have to do very little to it before loading.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts