3 Coyotes at 1025 yards

goodgrouper

I went on a 4 day, 800 mile chuck scouting adventure this weekend and found a coyote to shoot at. Well, actually there were three coyotes in the same spot (a mom and two pups) but I only got to shoot at two of them.

I was scanning a lava reef for chucks and suddenly found a different colored fuzz ball walking around on the lava. It was a mature coyote and two pups. They were hunting rockchucks in the reef. I quickly got out the rangefinder and beamed them at 1025 give or take a few yards because lava if very hard to get a bounce back reading.

They were intent on the chucks and not on me so I whipped out the good old 6.5-.284 and checked my zero. I leave this gun zeroed at 1000 yards so I chambered a round, checked the wind, and let it loose.

After about a second, the bullet impacted and I saw the coyote whirl around and dump off into the lava. I believed that I had hit it in the hind quarter from the way it floundered out of view but it was hard to tell for sure. I was on my way out to see if I could find which hole it fell into when I scanned the lava again and found two pups standing on the same rock looking down in the direction of their mother. One quickly hopped down into a hole out of view, but the other stood there watching. It was getting dark at this point and I knew if I was going to shoot at this pup then I wasn't going to have time to hike out and find the mother before dark. Oh well, I decided. How often do you get to shoot at two coyotes over 1000 yards?
In went another round and down went the bullet. It impacted right at it's feet and two inches left. The dumb pup just looked at all the black dust swirling around him.

I quickly fired another round as it was almost impossible to see through the scope now and saw it miss the pup's nose by an inch! Dang it! This was too close for comfort and the pup jumped down with it's brother out of view!

I could not get any pics of the mother after I shot at her but I did manage to take a few pics of her through my spotter before the shot.

Here she is:
coyote1.jpg

And another view:
coyote2.jpg

And here is a couple added pics of the country were I lived for a few days. This pic comes from two miles high in the sky:
cedarbreaks.jpg

And here is another view from where I spent a night. It frosted here during the night and there was still snow in places. This place was also loaded with big fat chucks!
c-lake.jpg

It was a fun weekend!

Thanks GG, I needed some inspiration to keep going on the load bench. This was perfect! Nice shot!

GG,

Congratulations on a fine shot. Thanks for sharing the pictures and story.
What bullet are you using in your 6.5-284?
I picked up a 6.5 JDJ barrel for my contender and have been shooting the 120 gr NBT out to 200 yds.

Regards,

JD338

Too bad the sun went down on ya!!! Could have dusted those pup as well. While I do appreciate the great pics, I bet next time you'll do a little less shooting w/the camera!

nice shot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

beautiful country

and loaded w/chucks

what else does a guy need.

thanks for sharing the expirence, i cant wait to get going on my new found addiction-- LRH

Great pictures and a nice story but............(just keepin it real now) where I hunt if we can't produce brains or a body it doesn't count. We ran into this a while back a really nice guy was posing by some blood at long range with a yardage sign. I couldn't score that one either. He did have some other very impressive confirmed kills with it though. Sorry, till I see the brains or body I have to rule a clean miss. I wish I was there I would have went out and helped you look to help you confirm it. Better luck next time.

Very cool. You should have caught the pups and sold them to pit bull breeders.

Now I understand why John Berns (shooting coyotes at 400 yards) doesn't get instant kills - he hits them in the hind end too.

[ QUOTE ]
I believed that I had hit it in the hind quarter from the way it floundered out of view but it was hard to tell for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't sound like he was making any claim other than he had a good time goofing off and doing a little shooting. Sometimes the story is just there for the stories worth.

Thanks guys for your compliments. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JD,
the bullet I shoot is the 140 grain Berger jammed about .005" into the rifling. It's zipping about 3075 now through my 30.5" barrel.

I too believe there must be a body to count it as a kill but sometimes you can't get the body out when it falls down a hole or squeezes under a rock.

This yote was shot basically in the last second of daylight and was standing on top of 60 feet of lava and there was no spotter to help me. So yes I believe I hit it, no I don't count it because I can't confirm it hit or miss. If I did hit it, it is dead in that mess of rocks somewhere and if I missed it then I will go back and find it again. After all, I know where it lives!
As buffalobob mentioned, this was a story to show some neat pictures (at least I thought they were neat) that otherwise would have not been seen by anyone but me and to possibly entertain someone for a minute or two. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Goodgrouper,

I enjoyed it the whole thing especially the two miles in the sky part. I knew you had good rifles and could shoot also, but fly too ??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I kinda figure you were at 10K or so above sea lever but right at 0 Feet AGL (above ground level). Whatever, still purty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Also, I was kinda wishing that were a woof instead of a yote /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, till I see the brains or body I have to rule a clean miss. I wish I was there ... Better luck next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

consider doing your home work next time before insulting a member of the 2K club.

Insult? Please explain, B1G_BORE.

Consider this. How about I pose beside where my bullet hit the ground and some fresh crap on my 2561 yard digger squirrel I shot last week? I was using SMK's and it just passed through and he made it into his hole to never be seen again. I heard it hit but didn't have any witnesses. The way he jumped, I know he was hit square. Are you going to comment about what a great shot I made?

Around my neck of the woods we don't give credit for a shot like that without brains or a body. Poop and blood don't count. Just keeping it real. That's all. No insult was meant nor do I believe Goodgrouper took it as one. A few people were misreading and taking it for a confirmed shot. It was not. He didn't count it as a hit either because he couldn't confirm it. Everyone including myself, appreciated the story and the pictures. I look forward to more of his posts.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.