280 Remington, why not?

Big thanks to everyone for all the great info. My mind is at ease, and my search for a back country rifle in 280 continues!

Like everything else this was just another opinion and possibly an uninformed opinion.

The 280 is a great long range caliber if used properly and the 280 AI is slightly better.

For years I competed with a 7mm rem mag in 1000 yard matches and the 280 AI is almost the ballistic equal of the 7 mag.

With larger bullets it is equal to or better than the 30/06 at long range and the 30/06 held
most of the long range records at one time.

There is an advantage to the bigger magnums but there are also disadvantages.

If you like the 280,go for it. You won't be sorry.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

i dont understand how you can get 5% more from the 280 AI? its already blown all the way out and has very little body taper. did you push the shoulder forward and shorten the neck?

It has less body taper (only .010") and the shoulder is farther forward. The .280 version has a neck of around .314", which is plenty. The Gibbs has a far shorter neck and many people liked it. It also has more capacity than the Gibbs, by the way ......Rich

I don't have the A.I. spec but I think my shoulder is about .050-.060" forward of the A.I. The body length on my case is 2.150" and the dia. at shoulder is .460". I think if you compare to the A.I., you will see the 5% increase is possible.....Rich

Last edited:
I shoot the 7mm JRS which has about the same powder capacity apparently as your Sherman. It will get the 5% increase over the AI also. It will virtually duplicate the 7mm remington. Also have the 7mm Gibbs which is a good one also. The JRS is better because it uses the 280 case where the Gibbs was based off the 30-06. This gives the jrs a longer neck and slightly more powder capacity.

I shoot the 7mm JRS which has about the same powder capacity apparently as your Sherman. It will get the 5% increase over the AI also. It will virtually duplicate the 7mm remington. Also have the 7mm Gibbs which is a good one also. The JRS is better because it uses the 280 case where the Gibbs was based off the 30-06. This gives the jrs a longer neck and slightly more powder capacity.

LTLR.....do you have the JRS case dimension spec? My newest version is based on the 6.5x65 RWS which , in real life, measures about .025" longer than the .280 case....Rich

I don't have the specs for the JRS but can mic a case for you if I can find them in all the stuff I have boxed up. JRS design got a little popularity for a while back in the 70's and then interest dropped as the 280 AI got most of the press because factory cartridges can be used. I like the 7mm JRS because it gets 75-100 fps more velocity than the 280 AI. Sniper2 on here has a 375 JRS that is also a good round. The JRS design got the most out of a 280 case of anything I am aware of. John Sundra developed them and they have always been some of my favorites.

I don't have the specs for the JRS but can mic a case for you if I can find them in all the stuff I have boxed up. JRS design got a little popularity for a while back in the 70's and then interest dropped as the 280 AI got most of the press because factory cartridges can be used. I like the 7mm JRS because it gets 75-100 fps more velocity than the 280 AI. Sniper2 on here has a 375 JRS that is also a good round. The JRS design got the most out of a 280 case of anything I am aware of. John Sundra developed them and they have always been some of my favorites.

If you don't mind checking some that would be great. I would be most interested in length of body to shoulder, diameter at shoulder. I am familiar with the JRS but never did see the specs on one. I have a feeling my newest case holds slightly more powder......Rich
p.s. length to base of neck and shoulder angle would also be helpful. Shoot, just give me all the specs!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.