Why Remington 700?

LanceK

I see a lot of custom guns built on 700 actions, why is that? I am trying to learn all I can, so please forgive my ignorance.

From what I've read, a lot of it has to do with availability of aftermarket parts. Anyone who makes a custom accessory makes one for a 700 action.

I'm sure there are others, but that's the reason I encounter most.

There are a TON of accessories for a Remington 700, Its a guarantee you will be able to find a stock to make you happy, triggers to. They are light, strong and accurate. I have been using them for 35 years. I have owned other rifles but I always go back to my 700 s. I recently sold every rifle I own and kept the remingtons.

I was thinking it might be due to the military building sniper rifles based on the Rem 700 action before a large choice of actions were available. There must be something about the 700 design that lends itself to an accurate weapon system.

I see a lot of custom guns built on 700 actions, why is that? I am trying to learn all I can, so please forgive my ignorance.
Most custom actions are built on a Rem 700 footprint, so they use stocks made for a Rem 700 action...

The reason everyone picks the Rem 700 action? It's been the standard since 1962, and you just don't mess with perfection. :cool:

If they just came with an m16 extactor, it would be closer to perfection:D
I've never had an ejector issue, but I've heard a lot of b!tching about them, so I'll agree with you for other people's sake. LOL

Seriously though, I could think of a couple improvements, like I would love to see a 700 with a 3-lug setup with 60º bolt throw would be REALLY nice, and might as well toss in the M16 ejector as well.

If they just came with an m16 extactor, it would be closer to perfection:D

I like finding a cheap standard long action, and buy a PTG bolt with M 16 extractor (on sale). This eliminates the two piece bolt / handle.

I am also one of the people that Has never had a problem with the factory extractor. In fact I like the M16 style extractor if I have the choice, but it does not need it with the Remington offering.

I have seen several grossly overloaded 700,s that had to be hammered open and the factory extractor actually ripped the case rim off without breaking the extractor.

There are many reasons that the 700,s are so popular and parts availability is one of them. There are another reason that are important to accuracy rifle builders and the reason so many custom action are Remington clone,s, they respond to blueprinting very well and the round shape and simplicity just works.

They are the least tricky for bedding and normally respond to a good bedding job well.

So whats not to like.

J E CUSTOM

Seriously though, I could think of a couple improvements, like I would love to see a 700 with a 3-lug setup with 60º bolt throw would be REALLY nice, and might as well toss in the M16 ejector as well.

I know where you can get it, and man are they sweet

I've never had an ejector issue, but I've heard a lot of b!tching about them, so I'll agree with you for other people's sake. LOL

Two more things - one, a side bolt release. I have seen a couple that the trigger bolt release tend to jam up and be a pain. Second, have the factory short action come with a 3" mag box. Do those changes, and it is now perfect, imo.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.