280 AI

Thanks for the replies, interesting info that you can only get from folks that shoot them. This is just kind of a "I'm bored as hell project" cuz I have nothing in a .284, For elk I shoot 300 Rum, 300 WM, for deer & antelope I shoot 6.5x284, my carry every day in truck for wolves, yots and other vermin, is a suppressed 243. Have reloaded for about 30 yrs, 1 at a time with TLC :)
What I should of included was the powder used in these, Current indicators look like there will be very little to ZERO Retumbo hit the market for several months. It seems the government is getting it all, the military is testing several weapons with it, to my include a 338 machine gun, now won't that be a blast to shoot. So obviously my Retumbo is spoken for by my other weapons,
Can I fellow get by with say H4831, or H1000 in the 280AI in the 162 gr range ? I probably have 12 lbs of each.
Since you reload 280 AI is fine and will come close to if not the same as 7mm Rem Mag. I use reloader 26 with Berger 168 gr hunting. Nosler and Hornady are the only 2 producers of brass that I know of with Nosler being the better and stupid expensive. I dropped a cow Elk at 422 yards with one shot in 2017. Rifle was too heavy for hunting so I now use 28 Nosler (dropped a nice bull at 383 yards Nov. 2019). I just seem to not be able to do cheap. On a side note I would go with 7mm Rem Mag if you want more loaded ammunition availability or don't reload.

Both have a shaky future. Remember the 30/358 Norma ? 7x61 S&H ? All the Newtons ?

The poor "old" 7mm RemMag beats the AI and is close to the 28. Just sayin -----
Actually my current loading beats the 7mm Rem Mag BUT the 7mm Rem Mag kicks my butt in bullet weights above 168 grain. All being said 7mm Rem Mag has many more loaded ammunition choices and I would strongly recommend against the 280 AI for the non-reloader.

Big fan of 280ai, own four different ones. Question for group , what twist rate are running on 175s? Put another way at what bullet wt do you come off factory standard 1-10?

Big fan of 280ai, own four different ones. Question for group , what twist rate are running on 175s? Put another way at what bullet wt do you come off factory standard 1-10?
The Remington 280 factory twist was 9.25" and a 9 twist runs the 175 EH type bullet just fine.

I just built a 280 AI and I own a 7 STW (the predecessor and ballistic twin of the 28 Nosler). Love them both. I was "bored as hell" like you. I also own a 6.5-284. I did a lot of research and decided the 280 AI was a perfect cartridge for a lighter weight mountain rifle for me.

I probably pull my 7 STW out of the safe more often, as it has become my favorite (got interested in it from the 7 STW forum on this website). It's a laser beam of death. 140 gr bullets around 3500 fps, 160's at 3150 fps (although it easily reaches 3200 fps) and 175 gr pulls anywhere from 3000-3150 fps. I've killed more animals out West with it and my 300 WSM. BUT, the rifle is heavy and I'm not a young buck anymore, and I wanted something in the 8.5 lb range like my 300 WSM. So, I decided on the 280 AI to fill that niche in weight and still be a 7mm. I have a pet load with the 143 gr Hammer bullet at 3268 fps, and finishing up a load with the 162 gr ELDX at 3030 fps. Both are sub 0.50" moa if I do my part.

As far as powders go, I listened to Lance and Shep and mainly went with RL23. Seems to give the same speed as RL26, but a little more accurate and very temp stable. You can't go wrong with H4831 in the 280 AI, just don't expect as much velocity as RL23.
For powders in the 28 Nosler, my go to powder for the 7 STW is H1000. It works for every bullet weight. You can run H4831, RL26 and RL23 as well.

I managed to draw a NM mule deer tag. Depending upon how much hiking I have to do, the 280 AI or the 7 STW will be what I'll hunt with.

H4831 and H1000 will work fine. You will not need to experiment with the R powders unless you want to.

You ve got a very capable cartridge there.

Yes. In my 280ai, I'm getting 162 Eld-m up to 2940 with 4831.

Just picked up H1000, hoping to get 175 or 180's up to 2800 but haven't tested yet. Supposedly RL26 is the best though.

I am getting 2925 fps with 160 gr accubonds and excellant accuracy out of two standard .280s (26" barrels) using 58 gr of IMR 7828 without pushing it too hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres no experimenting needed with RL23, if you want all the accuracy and near 7 mag performance then get some 23. I've used it in 3-280Ai and all had better accuracy that 26 it cant have been a fluke. 26 and 23 had the same velocity I just couldnt get the pure accuracy that 23 produced.
Will other powders work sure they will.
If Lapua, or ADG made brass I think you would see alot more of them out there, it is a great all around cartridge.

Agree that R23 will work well.. myself and friends have had good luck with it in numerous cartridges.

OP did ask if what he had will work, it will and if he wants to use up some of his existing powders he ll get fine performance. If he wants to spend more $$ and get another 50 fps or so then R23 will deliver!

I have owned 3 280ai's and have one being built right now. I briefly considered a 7SAUM or 7RM. The 280ai seems to be the perfect mid power cartridge. I had my best results, using bullets over 160gr, with RL26. H4831 and H1000 should work just fine. I am going to try magnum primers for the first time with this rifle load workup.

Versatile cartridge as everyone states and lots of solid combos. As I ve gotten older for what shooting/needs I have I wouldn't own a 7RM , 300 WM , etc. But hey, got them now so what the heck. lol

Recent Posts