280 AI

I am going to go 280 Rem. Since it should feed fine & I already have dies to get started with. I need to acquire some brass. But I think it's doable.

I got my eye on some 280.
I originally fireformed my 280AI cases by using 280 Remington ammo back in the mid 1980s. Remington 280 Rem ammo shot well enough in my 280AI to hunt whitetails with for the first year and fireformed the cases perfectly. I would not use reduced loads for fireforming.

Later, I bought Nosler 280AI cases and, more recently, Peterson. Very pleased with all.

I'm replying to my own thread here……

RL23 is extremely temp stable. I probably had RL22 in mind when I wrote this. While I do not have first hand experience with RL22 (though I own some), I have spent some time with RL23 at this point. I find it to be extremely consistent, very stable and superbly accurate.

It's just as good as H4831sc…..which I consider to be very high praise as H4831sc is definitely a desert island powder.
H4831sc is very temp stable and accurate but is considerably slower than RL22,23,and 26. RL22 is not temp stable but shoots fast. I've developed loads with all of them and use the loads each year. I'm fortunate to be able to harvest 6-8 whitetails each year with a few hogs. All harvests are within 350 yards so in reality, optimum fps isn't a factor even tho I like max speed and accuracy.

H4831sc is very temp stable and accurate but is considerably slower than RL22,23,and 26. RL22 is not temp stable but shoots fast. I've developed loads with all of them and use the loads each year. I'm fortunate to be able to harvest 6-8 whitetails each year with a few hogs. All harvests are within 350 yards so in reality, optimum fps isn't a factor even tho I like max speed and accuracy.
My burn rate chart shows H4831 to be Faster than the three Reloader powders you listed. Just FWIW.

From my research, 270 cases were better to use than 30-06 since they have a longer neck. Of course, if you can get 280 Rem cases, it's even easier.
I have 280AI case to start with. Interesting on the 270 cases. I'll to look at that more closely. I have 1000 280AI in Petreson Brass presently. I don't think I'll run out for awhile. 😁 It does take me 4 steps to reduce the neck from 7mm to 6mm.

I think he means slower as in lower velocity not burn rate. H4831 has been about 100 fps slower than R 26. I have some R23 but have been reluctant to try it as I have not seen any on shelves in a while.

I originally fireformed my 280AI cases by using 280 Remington ammo back in the mid 1980s. Remington 280 Rem ammo shot well enough in my 280AI to hunt whitetails with for the first year and fireformed the cases perfectly. I would not use reduced loads for fireforming.

Later, I bought Nosler 280AI cases and, more recently, Peterson. Very pleased with all.
Still need to reduce the load and fireform the case. The bullet should be touching the lands, and pushing the case base against the bolt face. Getting the stretch at the shoulder and not at the base. Can still require a couple of shots to get the case totally fireformed. Again it still what and how you want your groups @ 100yds and beyond that.
The one thing I have note on Peterson 280AI case the overall case length vary several thousands unfire and new out of the box.

I think he means slower as in lower velocity not burn rate. H4831 has been about 100 fps slower than R 26. I have some R23 but have been reluctant to try it as I have not seen any on shelves in a while.
Correct, that's what I meant. Again, I'm just sharing results in my two .280AI's. 7828ssc is great but I have less than 1/4 lb left. H4831sc and IMR4350 very accurate but lacking in fps. Not trying to be redundant, just sharing. I look forward to reading fellow hunters/shooters/loaders results with their .280AI's.

Correct, that's what I meant. Again, I'm just sharing results in my two .280AI's. 7828ssc is great but I have less than 1/4 lb left. H4831sc and IMR4350 very accurate but lacking in fps. Not trying to be redundant, just sharing. I look forward to reading fellow hunters/shooters/loaders results with their .280AI's.

59.6 RL 23, 175 EH, 26 inch. Getting 2950. 300 yard zero works good for me.

Screenshot_20240422_120957_Shooter.jpg