280 AI

I ended up with a 24" barrel in the Kimber - I prefer a lighter 140gr Barnes TTSX (all copper) for most applications. Living in CA has its limitations.

I built a 280 AI a few months before all the Covid crap happened. I feel 26" is a perfect length and build it around 140-160 gr bullets. If you really want to shoot the heavier bullets (175 gr +), then you'll want to move up to one of the 7mm magnum cartridges. A 1:9 twist should be perfect, but you could drop down to a 1:8.5 if you really wanted.
It's a great cartridge.

For me, Hunting 155 Edge TLR loaded about 60 ofd rifling over RL23. Doesn't matter what temperature, muzzle velocity is just not going to change enough to give you a pressure problem.
Long range shooting, Hornady 162 ELDMs have been doing well for me and the BC is great. And they cost quite a bit less than Bergers

I've decided to go with a 26" barrel and 1:8" twist built around the new 155 grain Hammer Absolute Hunters. Although the 155 grain only requires 1:8.5", going 1:8" gives me the option to upsize all the way to the 195 Berger EOL. Definitely Peterson brass. I shoot 4 other AIs and not having to fire form brass is a definite time saver.

Thanks to all who shared their wisdom with me.

Awesome Choice, I too have a 280ai under way here in New Zealand , I've gone with a proof carbon 24" barrel sendero light on a sako 75 action. I think between 24-26" barrel is a good compromise between weight and velocity.

If you were building a 280AI, what length barrel would you choose and which bullet would you build around?
I have been using this cartridge for for about 20 years. I have a custom 280 AI Browning X Bolt with a 26 inch barrel and it is a shooter. I have been using just 150 Accubond for deer I also have a Kimber in 280 AI with a 24 inch. You are going to like this round if you have never owned one round.

I went 24" on mine. Your only talking about 50 FPS difference between a 26". Add a muzzle break and those 2 inches are noticeable packing the gun around. Mine is a hunting rifle first so carry was important factor to me.

So if your carry the gun more than shoot I would do 24". If you shoot it more than carry go with the 26"

I've decided to go with a 26" barrel and 1:8" twist built around the new 155 grain Hammer Absolute Hunters. Although the 155 grain only requires 1:8.5", going 1:8" gives me the option to upsize all the way to the 195 Berger EOL. Definitely Peterson brass. I shoot 4 other AIs and not having to fire form brass is a definite time saver.

Thanks to all who shared their wisdom with me.

Excellent! What barrel maker, groove, and contour? Good luck!

I went 24" on mine. Your only talking about 50 FPS difference between a 26". Add a muzzle break and those 2 inches are noticeable packing the gun around. Mine is a hunting rifle first so carry was important factor to me.

So if your carry the gun more than shoot I would do 24". If you shoot it more than carry go with the 26"

That is why I commented as ...

This boils down to a personal choice on what you are willing and able to carry with since it is not a dedicated LR shooting rifle.

My .270 AI has 30" + MB ...

.270 AI atop the mountain.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.