280 AI

BigSky112

Never had one, what are the pro's & con's of the 280 AI vs 28 Nosler ? Don't want or need any input about other calibers. Preferably from folks who have worked with the calibers, not the I know a guy who knows a guy's brother who knows a guy ! Thanks in advance

280AI is cheaper and more common.

I'm not sure why you want to ignore other cartridges that have advantages in some areas.

I thought about a 280AI for a minute but went another way. I've read about 28 Nosler, it didn't interest me.

2 to 300 fps different. 28nos eats barrels in about 7 to 800 rounds. 280ai can use reg 280 in a pinch. They both shoot great. I've built over a dozen 280ai and 3 28 nos. None of them seemed picky. If I was going to shoot 190 and 195s I would build the 28nos. But for everything else the 280ai is a very well rounded cartridge. I even used one for 1000 yard comp for awhile.
Shep

There are no con's with the 280ai or 28 Nosler. Both are terrific cartridges and each has their place. The only time the 28 Nosler has an advantage is once your target is past 500 yds or when using heavy high BC heads. My 280ai would do best with 162 gr heads and my 28 Noslers would have 300+ fps with heavier 175+ gr heads. If you have time to setup or hunt in wide open areas a 28 Nosler would definitely have an edge. True there might be better or other options but if your stuck on these two you cannot go wrong with either.

Never had one, what are the pro's & con's of the 280 AI vs 28 Nosler ? Don't want or need any input about other calibers. Preferably from folks who have worked with the calibers, not the I know a guy who knows a guy's brother who knows a guy ! Thanks in advance

Regardless of chambering, I do not normally pay attention to the cons but my decision is normally driven on the intended purpose. Target or hunting? At what range (esp. on big-game, i.e elk at 1000 yards)? Do you reload? What bullet? Just some of the things to think about, etc. For the average end-user, the advantage goes to the .280 AI (even a straight .280 for that matter). Good luck!

I own a fantastic .280AI. I run a 175 Berger Elite @ 2976fps, 160 TMK @ 2991, or 145 LRX @ 3106, depending on what and where I am hunting. I have about 600 rounds down the barrel so far. Shoots tiny groups, and has killed big game with authority out to 540 yards, including elk that dropped at the shot. Coyotes out past 1100 don't stand a chance. I have loaded for a few others too. My opinion, best suited for jacketed bullets from 160 to 180. Great round, moderate recoil, good barrel life expectancy, accurate, easier to shoot by most people. You can load them down for younger shooters easier too. With a heavier bullet like the 175 Berger, should be perfectly capable of taking elk out to 1000.

I have shot, and loaded for 23 different 28 Noslers. They are a racehorse. 184 to 195s upwards of 3180fps. Flat shooting, accurate, massive energy, absolute hammers on game. Easily 200-300fps faster than a .280AI.
Barrel life is terrible, and if you plan on shooting it 100 rounds a year, plan on it lasting 5-8 years. I have seen barrels go in as little as 500 accurate rounds when run hard, but still not shooting more than 3 rounds at a time between cooling. If you work up a load, and only shoot 20 rounds a year, could last a lifetime. I know a guide who uses one for his clients, and has had his for 3 years, and his barrel should hopefully last this year, then need replaced. Recoil, even with a good brake, is way more than a .280AI. Muzzle blast is insane with a brake. Recoil without a brake is not pleasant at all.

280AI is cheaper and more common.

I'm not sure why you want to ignore other cartridges that have advantages in some areas.

I thought about a 280AI for a minute but went another way. I've read about 28 Nosler, it didn't interest me.
Because I have other calibers, nothing in the .284

Thanks for the replies, interesting info that you can only get from folks that shoot them. This is just kind of a "I'm bored as hell project" cuz I have nothing in a .284, For elk I shoot 300 Rum, 300 WM, for deer & antelope I shoot 6.5x284, my carry every day in truck for wolves, yots and other vermin, is a suppressed 243. Have reloaded for about 30 yrs, 1 at a time with TLC :)
What I should of included was the powder used in these, Current indicators look like there will be very little to ZERO Retumbo hit the market for several months. It seems the government is getting it all, the military is testing several weapons with it, to my include a 338 machine gun, now won't that be a blast to shoot. So obviously my Retumbo is spoken for by my other weapons,
Can I fellow get by with say H4831, or H1000 in the 280AI in the 162 gr range ? I probably have 12 lbs of each.

Try rl23 in your 280ai. It's great. Not hard to find like 26. I still put retumbo in my 280ai with 168 Berger's. I only push mine just over 2900. But I have seen guys getting way more with rl23.
Shep

The way I went when I didn't go 280AI was 284 Winchester.

It works well with H4831, good brass is available and 284 might have more accuracy potential than 280AI. Since it's a "short action" chambering, using it in a long action gives you plenty of room for long pointy bullets in common magazines.

If you are thinking of building a 280AI, building a 284 is just about the same, just using a different chamber reamer.

It seemed like a better solution than 280AI.

I thought about WSM and SAUM in 7mm but brass availability, barrel life and powder efficiency are issues and 284 has enough muzzle velocity for the target shooting I want to do.

Thanks for the replies, interesting info that you can only get from folks that shoot them. This is just kind of a "I'm bored as hell project" cuz I have nothing in a .284, For elk I shoot 300 Rum, 300 WM, for deer & antelope I shoot 6.5x284, my carry every day in truck for wolves, yots and other vermin, is a suppressed 243. Have reloaded for about 30 yrs, 1 at a time with TLC :)
What I should of included was the powder used in these, Current indicators look like there will be very little to ZERO Retumbo hit the market for several months. It seems the government is getting it all, the military is testing several weapons with it, to my include a 338 machine gun, now won't that be a blast to shoot. So obviously my Retumbo is spoken for by my other weapons,
Can I fellow get by with say H4831, or H1000 in the 280AI in the 162 gr range ? I probably have 12 lbs of each.
My regular .280s LOVE H4831 and 140s. Never tried a heavier bullet with 4831... I go with 7828 for 160s.

Yes. In my 280ai, I'm getting 162 Eld-m up to 2940 with 4831.

Just picked up H1000, hoping to get 175 or 180's up to 2800 but haven't tested yet. Supposedly RL26 is the best though.