280 AI

280 AI - would B my suggestion, when reloads R not available, factory 280 Remington & from Ole Days 7mm. Express will work Effectively & provide fireformed cases
I Love 💗 the Calibre And Have 3 - the more interesting 🧐 of them is my Custom Allen one with a Manners Thumbhole & Nightforce —- my "Future" choice (4 use in my 80's+ - actually not that far off 😱😉) is a Falling Block Browning with a Compact ole Burris w/ Ranging Reticle - 4 when I'm wanting just a single shot 4 Hunting 😉

280 AI - would B my suggestion, when reloads R not available, factory 280 Remington & from Ole Days 7mm. Express will work Effectively & provide fireformed cases
I Love 💗 the Calibre And Have 3 - the more interesting 🧐 of them is my Custom Allen one with a Manners Thumbhole & Nightforce —- my "Future" choice (4 use in my 80's+ - actually not that far off 😱😉) is a Falling Block Browning with a Compact ole Burris w/ Ranging Reticle - 4 when I'm wanting just a single shot 4 Hunting 😉

Ruger has made a special addition called the "Joe Clayton" special No. 1 cambered in 280 AI with a 25" barrel. Only 1500 produced I believe. Judge Clayton lives here in my hometown and I have purchased one. It's out of sight for a factory number one. Different trigger for this edition. I know a place that has these here if anyone is interested I can put you in touch with the shop.

Iv got two 28's and the biggest advantage for this caliber is you have the ability to push bigger bullets faster.

they have a bad reputation for burning barrels but.... most ppl are running them hot with fast burning powders @ crazy speeds. Iv found a reliable load throwing 180 ELD'Ms at 3050 using H50BMG. This is more then enough for prettty much every hunting situation.

I'm not 100% sure just yet but we should see way past 1000 rounds with this reloading combo.

If hunting only, or slow 3 shot groups and U stay away from long strings of fire I d bet easy 1,000; maybe 1,500 depending on where you keep the velocity. That last 50-75 fps usually takes its toll on both brass and barrel. Just depends on ones needs.

The problem with Ruger and the No. 1 (I own 14) is that they always build them to kick the snot out of you. All of the high intensity modern cartridges should only be built in the 1B model with a 26" bbl. No heavier and OAL shorter than a comparable bolt gun with a 22-24" bbl. A 1A in these rounds is loud and kicks a lot. Even a !S is no fun. I sold my 9.3x74 for that reason and only shoot my 450-400 with 45-60 level cast loads. I had JES build me a 35 Whelen and 9,3x62 off two 1B 30-06s. Delightful rifles. A 1B in 280 AI w/26" bbl would match up with a short bbled 7 Mag and be quieter and kick less. My latest No. 1 is a an ex 458 Tropical, now a 6.5-300 BEE 30" bbl that is faster and kicks less than any of the Weatherby offerings in that cartridge.

Ruger No. 1 6.5-300.jpg

I just don't see the point in owning a 28nos and running it slower than a 7mag. My 7saum shoots 180eldms 3050 with 7828. My 280ai shoots 180eldms at 3000 with rl26. Take the govnener off it's a 28nos load it up and let it eat. 😁
Shep

how long is the barrel on your280ai? I thought I was pushing my last one at 2920 with 168 hvld and rl 26 out of a 24" barrel.

Ballistics 101 will tell you you cannot run a 280AI as fast as a 7mm RemMag anymore than a 30-06 can equal a 300 WinMag. Absent a longer barrel or higher pressures it just cannot be done.

Read it a lot --- reminds me of Rocky Gibbs or George Herter

28 inch on both. Rl 26 will do over 3000 no problem. I think my load is 2980 in the node. The saum will do 3100 but the node is 3050.

Shep

Long throated chambers add volume / velocity; no doubt. But I concur with 6.5-300, basic physics tell you a smaller volume case going as fast as a larger volume case requires a longer barrel, more pressure or often both. But, if you re willing to do that it can be done.

25WSM, downloading a bigger case as you mentioned doesn't make much sense; just start with a smaller case if that's what you re doing. More efficient that way. My friend states 'barrels are consumables, use em up and put another one on. I tend to agree.