280 AI

Built my first at 24" and the 175 Berger Elite Hunter. I love the cartridge so much I've got a 20" now for hunting here in the SE running the Berger 168 CH. If I could rewind now I'd go 26" for longer range stuff.

The cartridge is really picking up in popularity so you'll likely get a bunch of good recommendations. The only thing you should really do IMHO is run Peterson brass.

I would build it in a 24 inch barrel, so I can stick a 2 inch muzzle brake and come in at 26 inches total. I have a 28 Nosler for the heavier 7s so I would do a 162 or something in that range. The 280 AI is a really nice balanced cartridge, it's my go to cow elk and smaller.

Mostly LR shooting.

This boils down to a personal choice on what you are willing and able to carry with since it is not a dedicated LR shooting rifle. I do not have a .280 AI at the moment but I have a .270 AI with 30" barrel 3G 1:8" Sendero contour with a JP Beenie Coulee MB. "I" would build it similarly in .280 AI, and "I" would shoot the Berger 168 to 195.

If you were building a 280AI, what length barrel would you choose and which bullet would you build around?
I shoot a 7x64 that's real close to the 280 AI. I have both a 20"and 24" barrel Steyrs. Both shoot the 160 gr partition well.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.