280 AI

Never had one, what are the pro's & con's of the 280 AI vs 28 Nosler ? Don't want or need any input about other calibers. Preferably from folks who have worked with the calibers, not the I know a guy who knows a guy's brother who knows a guy ! Thanks in advance
I used a 280ai in elk and whitetail. No shots taken inside 300 yards non past 475 yards. It worked as good as any other standard action caliber. I personally don't care for it but it's a fine cartridge and does it's job just fine without burning powder by the ton!

My new build will have an 8.7" twist. I am thinking that this will be fine up to a 175 berger. Will be 24" barrel. I would be thrilled if could safely and accurately push a 160 Accubond near 3000 fps. In my previous 280ai the accuracy nodes were situated at super slow and at the ragged edge of over pressure. Is this a common experience with the 280ai? I am wondering if magnum primers might change this equation or will have no positive impact at all? My hunting temps can vary 60+ degrees. I have tried to stay with less temp sensitive powder. My first 280ai loved N165 with 140 Accubonds. Later learned that VV powders were very temp sensitive. This was early in my reloading.
You should be able to get around 3000 fps with the 160 AB, but use RL23.

I used a 280ai in elk and whitetail. No shots taken inside 300 yards non past 475 yards. It worked as good as any other standard action caliber. I personally don't care for it but it's a fine cartridge and does it's job just fine without burning powder by the ton!
What don't you like about it?? Just curious
Part of what pointed me towards the 280 AI was my gunsmith. It's his cartridge of choice for hunting. He's a hall of fame benchrest shooter and legend in the gunsmith and firearms world. So, when he talks, I listen

Part of what pointed me towards the 280 AI was my gunsmith. It's his cartridge of choice for hunting. He's a hall of fame benchrest shooter and legend in the gunsmith and firearms world. So, when he talks, I listen
Just never fell in love with it I love my magnums and short actions but standard length cartridges never got my fancy unless they were in the 300 Wm area. Nothing against the cartridge it's a great one I prolly just need to spend more time with it!

My previous legendary hall of fame gunsmith cut my 280ai chamber 14 thou too short and sent it to me. It would not chamber. Honest mistake in interpreting the sammi standard. He fixed it immediately but caused me to question his familiarity with the cartridge.

My new build will have an 8.7" twist. I am thinking that this will be fine up to a 175 berger. Will be 24" barrel. I would be thrilled if could safely and accurately push a 160 Accubond near 3000 fps. In my previous 280ai the accuracy nodes were situated at super slow and at the ragged edge of over pressure. Is this a common experience with the 280ai? I am wondering if magnum primers might change this equation or will have no positive impact at all? My hunting temps can vary 60+ degrees. I have tried to stay with less temp sensitive powder. My first 280ai loved N165 with 140 Accubonds. Later learned that VV powders were very temp sensitive. This was early in my reloading.
If you wanna run the 175 have it throated for them and I dont see why it wont run the velocity you want with RL23, its definitely the pixie dust for the 280AI.

I tried RL23 briefly and went to 26. I have some and it will be my first try when I get my new rifle. I do not have a great need for the 175 in this particular rifle. Just thought it would be cool to be able to shoot.

Just never fell in love with it I love my magnums and short actions but standard length cartridges never got my fancy unless they were in the 300 Wm area. Nothing against the cartridge it's a great one I prolly just need to spend more time with it!
I get that. My 30-06 sat neglected in my safe for some time. Then I rediscovered it. What a great cartridge and so easy to load for. It's easy to get caught up in new high velocity cartridges. I'm guilty of that, too.

Never had one, what are the pro's & con's of the 280 AI vs 28 Nosler ? Don't want or need any input about other calibers. Preferably from folks who have worked with the calibers, not the I know a guy who knows a guy's brother who knows a guy ! Thanks in advance
I own both. And would need way more info about what you want to do with it to give you an answer. Running 195 bergers at 3140 in the 28 and running 175 bergers in 280 AI at about 3000. Haven't totally dialed that load in yet. It's in the .4's at 300 though and all horizontal so I messing with it. They both shoot though.

I get that. My 30-06 sat neglected in my safe for some time. Then I rediscovered it. What a great cartridge and so easy to load for. It's easy to get caught up in new high velocity cartridges. I'm guilty of that, too.
Here in NY I usually grab quick silver which I named my favorite rifle, a custom classic model 70 22-250 only gal that's never let me down!!!! That or a 6xc or creedmoor are plenty of gun for our deer or bears. I know a 22-250 isn't a capable big game cartridge!

Attachments

• ECD73F7F-DCE1-47F2-9B8D-42ECEA23FF40.jpeg
    ECD73F7F-DCE1-47F2-9B8D-42ECEA23FF40.jpeg
    617.5 KB · Views: 99
Here in NY I usually grab quick silver which I named my favorite rifle, a custom classic model 70 22-250 only gal that's never let me down!!!! That or a 6xc or creedmoor are plenty of gun for our deer or bears. I know a 22-250 isn't a capable big game cartridge!

I hunt whitetail in the south with a 6.5x47 hunting rifle. Has not let me down yet. 200lb buck required a second shot with 130 HVLD's. Bullet could have been deflected by brush. 120 Ballistic Tips have been very lethal.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.