.280 AI controversy explained ...

Here's a one-liner, if there are 2 different go gauges, then how can they have the same headspace?

The datum line is at a different point on the guage thus the length is different because your measuring at two different points on the angle.

How does the guy in the video end up with the same head space using the two different guages??

Post the specs of whatever you have a question about and your question and I'll answer it.

:D:D
Iv seen enough spec sheets thanks and the change of datum theory that argues against it. I'm far more interested in actual physical tests and anyone with an understanding of go/nogo gauges will realize that what they showed is actually impossible if there is a .014 difference between the two. So my question is how do they get that result? If they are wrong then how so?
Also worth considering they actually set out to prove their original post but ended up having to do a complete U turn with what they found.

I think he means why would they make two sets of gauges if they both give the same measurement? Which is a fair question.
Possible answers might be ; they are actually different? OR for the opposing team: the new sammi spec had different measurements from a different datum and was never actually checked against the older version just assumed to be different?
As I see it the only way to be 100% sure is to try the two different sets in one chamber which seems to have been done by gunsmith talk. But I could easily be missing something here so I'm remaining open minded.

I just read all of that...and I don't see what is so confusing.

Well, when you check the drawings from SAAMI and the Traditional drawings for the Ackley Improved you find that indeed there is a numerical difference between the two drawings of .014″. The problem stems from reamer makers applying a datum line to the Traditional Ackley drawing at the .375″ diameter on the shoulder, this is not where the datum line is on a traditional Ackley.

The drawing calls for a 40 degree shoulder, but the datum measurement is based on the traditional 17 degree gauge. In other words the systems of measuring are mixed. Ackley used the junction of the neck and shoulder to headspace his Improved chamber, not the datum line along the shoulder.

Hence we end up with a headspace length of 2.1542″ on the Traditional drawing. I measured this length on my cutaway chamber and guess what, that is the length to the junction of the neck and shoulder. Thus headspace matches the drawings correctly.

The 40 degree SAAMI gauges are made to the industry standard, datum line method. So the drawings are correct, the datum line is at the .375″ diameter along the shoulder. The length called out for this gauge is 2.140″, which appears to be .014″ shorter than the Traditional design.

What we have is two different methods of measurement. However they achieve the exact same result.

There are two reamers, gauges, etc because some makers are measuring to a different spot...the neck/shoulder junction or the .375 datum line...Ackely used the neck/shoulder junction...SAAMI uses the .375 datum line...the datum line (down on the shoulder) is .014" closer to the head of the case than the neck/shoulder junction.

That could be all wrong...but thats what I get out of reading all this stuff...I don't have a 280AI just yet (very soon, with a Nosler chamber)

There are two reamers, gauges, etc because some makers are measuring to a different spot...the neck/shoulder junction or the .375 datum line...Ackely used the neck/shoulder junction...SAAMI uses the .375 datum line...the datum line (down on the shoulder) is .014" closer to the head of the case than the neck/shoulder junction.

That could be all wrong...but thats what I get out of reading all this stuff...I don't have a 280AI just yet (very soon, with a Nosler chamber)
That sounds like it could be a very good theory. I'm interested to hear others' thoughts on it.

You need to recheck your numbers. The difference in length between the Ackley version and the SAAMI version is .0142" measured at identical locations. Comparing the Ackley neck shoulder junction to the SAAMI datum will show about .048" difference.

Or...another way of looking at it...is if the SAAMI round is "wrong"...

The .375 datum line on a 280 Remington is .014" shorter than the .375 datum line on a 280 Ackley.

Which may well be the case...

EDIT:
No...thats not it...the 280 Reminton headspace measurement is ~2.10"-2.11"...thats .040" difference.

I stand by my previous statement

You need to recheck your numbers. The difference in length between the Ackley version and the SAAMI version is .0142" measured at identical locations. Comparing the Ackley neck shoulder junction to the SAAMI datum will show about .048" difference.

I was only going on what I read here...don't have any components to measure at this time.

Which "identical location" are you referring to?

It stands to reason I guess...it went downhill the moment Remington got involved...just further proof that Remington could tear up an anvil with a Q-Tip...Nosler is a good company, it sucks that they followed Remingtons lead on this.

Yes...I blame Remington...and Nosler...but mostly Remington!

I don't guess there's any real damage done...the .014" in capacity won't be missed (not enough to matter)...but it sucks that all the confusion had to play out.

Which "identical location" are you referring to?
Any one you choose, it doesn't matter.

It stands to reason I guess...it went downhill the moment Remington got involved...just further proof that Remington could tear up an anvil with a Q-Tip...Nosler is a good company, it sucks that they followed Remingtons lead on this.

Yes...I blame Remington...and Nosler...but mostly Remington!
What does Remington have to do with any of this?

What does Remington have to do with any of this?

Because they're the ones who originally shortened it by .014" if the article posted here is correct...they did it in the custom shop years ago...claiming they believed it was necessary in order to safely fire 280 Remington in the 280AI chamber...when the Ackley was submitted to SAAMI, they (SAAMI) picked up on that....and voted for, and approved, it...and we have the 280 Nosler Ackley Imroved :D

History proves that Remington cannot make a good decision where the 280 is concerned...they loaded it too weak to meet its potential right from the start...renamed it a few times, etc...Remington is bad luck for the 280 in any form.

Ok so my question is.I have a 280AI sammi spec kimber, can I just run 280 rem cases through my sammi die, to bump the shoulder back, and then shoot them? Or is my only option, nosler brass?
Thanx in advance

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.