280 ai

toddconley

I need some help with some starting loads. My 280 AI will be here tomorrow. I am planning to shoot 162 Amaxes in it. What powder and how much should I start with? The Rifle is a savage long action with a 28 in Rock 8 twisted barrel. I am interested in RL 17 but it my be too fast. I also have plenty of RL 22 and 7828 SSC and some old IMR 4831. I would like to run them to 2950 - 3000 mark. Really no need to try to push them faster. What say the experts?
Thanks,
Todd Conley
Greensburg Ky
[email protected]

Any max 280 Remington load is your starting load for the 280 AI. I fire formed my cases with 57.0 grs RL 19 and 140 gr BT's. A properly chambered AI will give you a slight crush fit with a 280 Remington case so there is no need to seat the bullet into the lands or used reduced loads with cream-o-wheat filler. Just load a max 280 Remington load and fire form your cases.
The best powder for the 280 AI is RL 22. My best accuracy, as recommended by my gunsmith, was with Federal GM215M magnum primers.

JD338

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.