.280 AI controversy explained ...

Ok so my question is.I have a 280AI sammi spec kimber, can I just run 280 rem cases through my sammi die, to bump the shoulder back, and then shoot them? Or is my only option, nosler brass?
Thanx in advance

Try the standard 280 rem cases in your chamber first . You may find that the bolt will close on them comfortably and they fire form just fine. If the "2 different lengths" theory is correct then the extra crush should be to you advantage. If its to tight then you can always bump . I find no problems at all using standard 280 rem brass straight out of the box in my supposed saami chamber.
Please report back

Because they're the ones who originally shortened it by .014" if the article posted here is correct...they did it in the custom shop years ago...claiming they believed it was necessary in order to safely fire 280 Remington in the 280AI chamber...when the Ackley was submitted to SAAMI, they (SAAMI) picked up on that....and voted for, and approved, it...and we have the 280 Nosler Ackley Imroved :D

History proves that Remington cannot make a good decision where the 280 is concerned...they loaded it too weak to meet its potential right from the start...renamed it a few times, etc...Remington is bad luck for the 280 in any form.

What difference does it really make and you ordered a 280AI from Nosler and Woods is still shooting his 280AI and I'm still my 280AI.

Anybody know where I can find some traditional ackley dies? Having a 280ai traditional built and need to find dies. Would really like to find Redding's if they still make them.

Anybody know where I can find some traditional ackley dies? Having a 280ai traditional built and need to find dies. Would really like to find Redding's if they still make them.

if you can't find the true ackley dies then redding directs you to buy a shell holder for use with the newer dies. I have a old set of dies, added a new neck sizer die and the new thicker shell holder. I haven't had any issues.

Not sure what traditional your posting about. Nosler manual #4 1996 had loading data and they chamber 280 Ackley Improved 1996 and that 280AI is same case length as SAAMI Spec 280AI 2.525" and case body to shoulders is 2.090" and SAAMI Spec 280AI is 2.097", case length to shoulders is 2.175" and SAAMI Spec is 2.180".

What you need to do is get reamer print because there are dies for Nosler 280AI that was in manual #4.

This one takes the blue ribbon for the most screwed up Thread on this Forum - ever. I'm fortunate that I didn't need to know about the two different 280 AIs until now.

woods had it correct from the get go. Simply go to Redding's web site and search and you'll find a straightforward explanation as to why Redding makes (or made) two different resizing dies, which differ by the 0.014" differing length in headspace. woods already provided that information in post #5, yet most never let it register.
http://www.redding-reloading.com/tech-line-a-tips-faqs/133-280-changes

Novaman64 or anyone else: If you have a rifle with the original (traditional) Ackley chamber, you can use the resizing dies for the SAAMI adopted version - no problems. Just back them off 0.014" after they bottom out and you'll be in the ballpark.

morning, I have a question. in this calibers first chambering did Mr. Gibbs

use the same design reamer on his 280 Gibbs?? Did the whole AI Achley Imp. concept

come from Roy Weatherby?? Or did all 3 men come up with their

own Chamber design?? I am a big fan of the AI and the Weatherby designs.

THK. Ulightbulb:)gun)

If I knew, I'd try to answer that. Based on the tract this Thread took, I'd suggest you just research this on your own. Google searches can be a tremendous asset in resolving these kinds of questions. Good luck.

morning, I have a question. in this calibers first chambering did Mr. Gibbs

use the same design reamer on his 280 Gibbs?? Did the whole AI Achley Imp. concept

come from Roy Weatherby?? Or did all 3 men come up with their

own Chamber design?? I am a big fan of the AI and the Weatherby designs.

THK. Ulightbulb:)gun)

The Gibbs has 35 degree shoulders. I really don't have any idea but Ackley got the most press and Speer did wildcat manual 50's with lot of his loads. At one time 280 was wildcat and Speer manual back then had it as 7-06. Ackley has his own line of mag caliber 25,270 Ackley mag and he used 300 H&H case with 28 degree shoulder and both case little shorter than Wby's and that dates back 30's when he live in Oregon.

morning, Phorwath there r vast amounts of very good hand loaders with

vast amount of loads sent down range. I was interested in some of the opinions

of more experienced hand loaders and smithy's had experienced. Evidently u

r not one of them. THK. U lightbulb:)gun)

Life member TSRA, NRA and Okla. NRA

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.